Early Signing Period Updates- 11/13 to 11/20 | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Early Signing Period Updates- 11/13 to 11/20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
as a head coach? again, i do think in time Ollie will be a great candidate. lets not get ahead of ourselves, i also think that ollie, as most coaches, would rather be the head coach of uconn vs an assistant in the nba.

Florida and Duke coaches thought long and hard about NBA and decided college was for them, expect Ollie will some day cross that path and make his decision. Who knows what will be factors then, but I see Ollie as a lifetime UConn coach. Same with Michigan State coach, and a few others.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
as a head coach? again, i do think in time Ollie will be a great candidate. lets not get ahead of ourselves, i also think that ollie, as most coaches, would rather be the head coach of uconn vs an assistant in the nba.
Reread my post. My comment stated that the NBA had already shown interest with KO as a coach. Obviously not as a head coach. So anything he does at UConn will receive notice. What happens this season is an unknown. If UConn has a spectacular season does some NBA team look at KO like Stevens? We don't know. Will KO want to leave UConn if he gets consideration? We don't know.

And neither do the Hamiltons who, if they are doing their due diligence, are considering the same questions.

I'm postulating scenarios on the one hand. I'm also giving my opinion in believing KO will be a long term UConn coach and won't go the Stevens route. Which is why I wanted KO more than Stevens or Smart in the first place.

Reaction Score
You're reaching on this nba thing. You think Calhoun would put his rep on the line forcing a guy in with no head coaching experience just to have him bail after two years? Sure, anything is possible, but I highly doubt the nba is anywhere on the list of negative recruiting tactics used on Ollie by other coaches

Reaction Score
Anything is possible but you all have to agree, this guy has a long tenure as Huskies head coach written all over him. I sincerely doubt KO even considers leaving for a good 15-20 years.........more than likely a lifer!

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
You're reaching on this nba thing. You think Calhoun would put his rep on the line forcing a guy in with no head coaching experience just to have him bail after two years? Sure, anything is possible, but I highly doubt the nba is anywhere on the list of negative recruiting tactics used on Ollie by other coaches
Who are you responding to?

Reaction Score
I think we all can see Ollie as a potential NBA target down the road, but to think that DHam is holding out because of the fear of Ollie bolting for the NBA after two years is absurd. Just an fyi, prior to coaching at Iowa State, Hoiberg spent 6 years as an NBA assistant and held front office roles. Again, I do believe down the line, the threat of Ollie getting a NBA job is real, but not yet.

Jacque Vaughn got the Magic job and he wasn't even a top 2 assistant on the Spurs. Again, if KO leads UConn on a deep, FF type run he will get serious looks for an NBA job.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Hope Ollie is here forever, but if he's at the point in a few years where NBA teams are offering him a head coaching job, then he's had success here, and great coaches will be lining up to come here.

Reaction Score
Lets not get off track. This originated with the suggestion that Dham is unwilling to sign an LOI because of the fear that Ollie might bolt after the season. Regardless of what we think of Ollie's future coaching aspirations, this notion that he may leave after year 2 is absolutely absurd.

Reaction Score
Sent hamilton a letter with autograph request and SASE in c/o his hs coach a couple weeks ago without response. I doubt he gets much fan mail but i have been checking the mailbox with no luck. :(

Peanut gallery care to chime in?

Reaction Score
Lets not get off track. This originated with the suggestion that Dham is unwilling to sign an LOI because of the fear that Ollie might bolt after the season. Regardless of what we think of Ollie's future coaching aspirations, this notion that he may leave after year 2 is absolutely absurd.
I don't think KO will leave, I'm just saying he will get looks if we have a great year, if you don't think so considering his rep in NBA lockerrooms you're being delusional. If KO had stayed in OKC(Presti sat down with him as his last season with the Thunder was winding down about a position with the Thunder's staff), he would be on the same track as guys like Jacque Vaughn, Monty Brown, Sam Mitchell, etc, high character, lockerroom guys that were put on the fast track to getting HC jobs. As far as how it relates to DHam, one of the grievances the Hamilton family had with Tim Floyd is that he made overtures for the USC job, and they told Andy Katz that they thought he was going to go to USC. Given that was one of the factors for why they couldn't trust Floyd, its understandable that they would take a wait and see approach on signing an LOI. All that being said, we know there's a pretty big gap in character b/w KO and Floyd.

Reaction Score
Ko said he was uconn for life. Who knows if that reference was as a head coach or in a general term. If he leaves and tries out the nba it wouldn't be for at least 5 years from now. If he does leave id wish him the best because he is a uconn guy.

If you have doubts just read this
"This is my dream job. I was made for this job," Ollie said on the day he was hired. "UConn is a special, special place and I wouldn't want to be anywhere else but right here."

Reaction Score
Drama drama drama. KO is not leaving anytime soon- he is happy- with his family and making great $$$ doing what he loves. This is his dream job. Once his kids are out of school and he has a NC ring then we can start worrying about him getting snapped up by an NBA team.

DH is either gonna sign is he is not- no use getting our collective panties in a wad over it.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
KO is not leaving UConn for the NBA for a front-office job or asst. job... I'm sure he'll get offers (and he had an offer with the Thunder, I believe, before he came to UConn as an asst.). UConn is his dream job and he is RUNNING the show. I think he will stay as long as he keeps winning. And if he keeps winning, head coaching jobs in the NBA will come calling and he should (and most likely will) consider them, but I think he's UConn for life... just as JC.

Reaction Score
If Hamilton is merely holding off on signing to wait and see if Ollie bolts come the spring, that might be the best possible news for us, because we know Ollie isn't going anywhere.

If Hamilton is less than 100% committed for other reasons, that could be a big problem.

Reaction Score
@NeillOstrout: Ollie on not signing LOI: “You have to be comfortable with it. I can’t say ‘We don’t want you to come now.’ That’s their decision,”

Reaction Score
It's possible Hamilton is just worrying about his grandma's health status. If that one went really bad, I would not be surprised if he reneged on his Uconn promise. I won't blame him at all. Some things are more important than basketball. I still believe though, that he would make it to Storrs given that he had visited and watched the Maryland game. Goodman is taking after the work of another Uconn hater who is now with CBS after leaving EPSN. I'll just ignore Goodman.

Reaction Score
Ollie has been stacking coin for some time. Generations of his family are already advantaged. His passion is shaping character which he can do at UConn. NBA coaching can't satisfy the same way.

I'm not worried about KO or Hamilton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle