2020 Recruiting: - Dylan Cardwell OV | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2020 Recruiting: Dylan Cardwell OV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
To be totally honest- I know we're way out in front with him, he loves the program and wants to come. He's a fantastic fit for the culture... my point is why fight it?
I don't believe we will. :)

EDIT: Also, I will weigh in and say that I absolutely love his game. Sets great screens, boxes out and has a quick second jump. He's never going to be anything more than a 4th option on offense, but he'll still change the game in a major way on both sides of the court.

Not every 5 has to have 3-point range or a turnaround jumper. This kid has Jake 2.0 potential.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

EDIT: Also, I will weigh in and say that I absolutely love his game. Sets great screens, boxes out and has a quick second jump. He's never going to be anything more than a 4th option on offense, but he'll still change the game in a major way on both sides of the court.

Not every 5 has to have 3-point range or a turnaround jumper. This kid has Jake 2.0 potential.
:)>;) right?

Pgh2Storrs

In Hurley We Trust
Reaction Score
I was firmly in the “hold out for Cliff” camp but after doing a bit more reading on Cardwell and watching the clips that have been posted, I’m sold. He just feels like the type of big that will fit in Hurley’s system with his athleticism/defensive ability/energy.

Reaction Score

Love the Jake reference.
Always need players like that on your team.
Set great picks, rebound, quick outlet passes to start fast break etc.

Reaction Score
I was firmly in the “hold out for Cliff” camp but after doing a bit more reading on Cardwell and watching the clips that have been posted, I’m sold. He just feels like the type of big that will fit in Hurley’s system with his athleticism/defensive ability/energy.

Agreed. This kid is often referred to as a spark plug which is something that can accommodate Josh and Akok who play with a little less emotion but have high basketball IQ and solid footwork. Cardwell is someone that brings raw emotion and energy under the basket and can learn a lot from the older guys.

Reaction Score
Offensively it is. Cliff isn’t super skilled, but he draws multiple defenders at times which can still help spacing, and he has some post moves. Cardwell is a pure rim runner and lob catcher at this stage. Not that he can’t be taught that stuff, but Cliff is far ahead of him there. Defensively I agree though.

That's all you really need in Hurley's system though. A guy that can rebound the ball on both ends, a rim protector that can allow your guards to gamble more, has good hands and can finish lobs and put backs, and a guy that will play hard and do the small things(set good screens, dive for loose balls, play good help d, run the floor hard, etc.)

Reaction Score
Agreed. This kid is often referred to as a spark plug which is something that can accommodate Josh and Akok who play with a little less emotion but have high basketball IQ and solid footwork. Cardwell is someone that brings raw emotion and energy under the basket and can learn a lot from the older guys.

Just gonna throw out there that I wouldn't expect a high BBIQ or great footwork from Akok. He was rated highly because of his outstanding physical profile, not production on the court. He has no inside game to speak of but wide open dunks. He shoots 3s and block shots--everything you want in a modern 4 at the next level.

Reaction Score
And on a side note - the more I watch of him - the more I'm utterly sold on the idea that he might be way better than people think. I love him.
Exactly what I was thinking, that his upside is much better than he might be getting credit for. This coaching staff has shown the ability to develop players, I think we'll see more results of that this year, and Cardwell should do really well here with Hurley and Kenya coaching him up.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So much better than being referred to as a buttplug.

Reaction Score
Just gonna throw out there that I wouldn't expect a high BBQ or great footwork from Akok. He was rated highly because of his outstanding physical profile, not production on the court. He has no inside game to speak of but wide open dunks. He shoots 3s and block shots--everything you want in a modern 4 at the next level.

Bunkey has a high BBQ . #letsgetbusy

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
Man, everyone is on their game today. This thread has some of the best comments and observations in 1 thread I've seen in a while & I agree with just about everything said.
I hope we can nail down this kid and let the rest of the recruiting happen with much less pressure.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Man, everyone is on their game today. This thread has some of the best comments and observations in 1 thread I've seen in a while & I agree with just about everything said.
I hope we can nail down this kid and let the rest of the recruiting happen with much less pressure.
The buttplug comment was a real clunker.

Reaction Score
570A9331-D549-4CE4-8AF0-30FD7F0E9A8F.gif

Warm em up

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I like his frame. Rare to get a high school big that isn't either a spongy oaf or a string bean. He's got a solid frame and for a kid his age, a decent amount of muscle on him. A season (even an off season) with Sal could produce the kind of a physically imposing force in the middle we want.
I absolutely loved the block and full court outlet pass. That one play was enough to tell me we want him. Offensively, I'm a little worried about his jumping ability (or his jumping mechanics). He's big on dunking on the move, especially off the alley oop. But from a position under the hoop, his feet stay awfully close to the ground and he shoots a weak layup. Kinda like the freshman Carlton, so don't see that as something that our staff won't be able to fix, because by mid-season last year, Josh was going much higher without a running start.
Passing-wise, he has skills at both delivering and receiving/converting, so that's a major plus.
Time for Hurley to keep the momentum going, and put our first BE roster in place. Don't let this guy leave campus without a commitment!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom