2020 Recruiting: - Dylan Cardwell OV | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2020 Recruiting: Dylan Cardwell OV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It can't hurt to have been going against Kofi in practices every day. Completed some inside passes with quick decisions so the ball didn't 'stick' with him. Loved guarding the inbounding passer in the full court press, force the pass to a corner, and then quickly moving to trap the receiver in the corner. I think his visible attitude would help push other players and motivate a home crowd sitting on it's hands. It seems like a real intangible benefit he brings, that the team could use and that I don't sense from the other bigs. Don't underestimate spirit. We haven't had a 'Slap the floor' defensive attitude in awhile. It can be contagious and impactful when you have good athletes like we do.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I really like him and think he is a good fit for what we are building.
He is a good cultural and defensive fit for sure. I do see him more as the intensity guy coming off the bench than I do as the primary option at center and we kind of need a primary option with the last scholarship. But I would take him and let the cards fall where they may, we can always get a 2021 center if need be.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Sunny with a nice, crisp taste of Fall.
So something like this?
1570199676823.png

CL82

Reaction Score
We haven't had a 'Slap the floor' defensive attitude in awhile.
God I loathe that. Don't tell me what you are going to do, just do it.

To my mind, Boat and Bazz were last set of truly nasty defenders at UConn. They took teams out of their game plans and made their guards work incredibly hard to get anything going. In March opposing guards were exhausted, physically and mentally, at end of games.

Reaction Score
God I loathe that. Don't tell me what you are going to do, just do it.

To my mind, Boat and Bazz were last set of truly nasty defenders at UConn. They took teams out of their game plans and made their guards work incredibly hard to get anything going. In March opposing guards were exhausted, physically and mentally, at end of games.

When they slap & strap the dude up, it’s entertaining. It’s when they do what that kid did last year to Akinjo & got torched where it’s less entertaining

Reaction Score
He is a good cultural and defensive fit for sure. I do see him more as the intensity guy coming off the bench than I do as the primary option at center and we kind of need a primary option with the last scholarship. But I would take him and let the cards fall where they may, we can always get a 2021 center if need be.

I agree with you here. Seems like a taller, bigger stronger Whaley type to me. His ideal role if 15mpg off the bench as an energy/defense guy.

Might be why we've prioritized some pretty good bigs in 2021 already.

CL82

Reaction Score
When they slap & strap the dude up, it’s entertaining. It’s when they do what that kid did last year to Akinjo & got torched where it’s less entertaining
Or more entertaining, depending on which team you are rooting for. ;)

Reaction Score
Offensively it is. Cliff isn’t super skilled, but he draws multiple defenders at times which can still help spacing, and he has some post moves. Cardwell is a pure rim runner and lob catcher at this stage. Not that he can’t be taught that stuff, but Cliff is far ahead of him there. Defensively I agree though.

Would you compare him to a Willie Calley-Stein type

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Interesting dynamic in high school basketball/recruiting where these southern cities(Atlanta, Memphis, Houston, etc) are now basketball hot spots. Cities in the north have definitely taken a slight step backward while these cities have taken major leaps forward.

Reaction Score
To be totally honest- I know we're way out in front with him, he loves the program and wants to come. He's a fantastic fit for the culture... my point is why fight it?

Carlton is still back next year. It's kind of a good spot for him coming off the bench. You could probably toss Akok out there to fill minutes in that position if you absolutely had to. He probably helps with Thomas - and you add Jackson, Thomas this kid to what we already have - and then you can REALLY, REALLY focus on a premium big next year and ONLY a premium big.

I just think he makes WAY too much sense to not just snap up and then pivot to Thomas.

Reaction Score
To be totally honest- I know we're way out in front with him, he loves the program and wants to come. He's a fantastic fit for the culture... my point is why fight it?

Carlton is still back next year. It's kind of a good spot for him coming off the bench. You could probably toss Akok out there to fill minutes in that position if you absolutely had to. He probably helps with Thomas - and you add Jackson, Thomas this kid to what we already have - and then you can REALLY, REALLY focus on a premium big next year and ONLY a premium big.

I just think he makes WAY too much sense to not just snap up and then pivot to Thomas.

certified?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I agree. Staff knows who they like best. If it's Cardwell and he wants to come grab him. If it is JBR, and he wants to reclass and come, take him. We need a developmental center in this class, not so much a starter. We can't wait for Cliff. Cam I am willing to wait on.

I don't think Akok will fill in much at the 5. But I think Whaley will and Springs will. Springs is supposedly now 6'10".

Reaction Score
I agree. Staff knows who they like best. If it's Cardwell and he wants to come grab him. If it is JBR, and he wants to reclass and come, take him. We need a developmental center in this class, not so much a starter. We can't wait for Cliff. Cam I am willing to wait on.

I don't think Akok will fill in much at the 5. But I think Whaley will and Springs will. Springs is supposedly now 6'10".

Sure. I mean that's where i'm at. This guy bangs, he's strong and he's a terrorist on the boards. We haven't had one of those in years and you know - maybe he's a 3rd/4th year starter - but I don't feel like we need Cliff this class. Would TOTALLY take him, but this idea of waiting until the Spring to get him just seems crazy pants when this guy is kind of here on a platter. And if he helps you with Thomas then WTF are you thinking by not just doing it?

Then all hands on deck for Thomas. Then you can pivot to Cliff if you want, he'll still be there. Or the kid who wants to reclassify. Or any other premium big.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Love the energy and length he brings.

What's not to like. Time to get a commitment from the young man this weekend from Dylan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom