Durham transferring | Page 12 | The Boneyard

Durham transferring

Status
Not open for further replies.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
He's right to a certain degree. UConn hasn't recruited players with the right mindset in recent years under Ollie. You can just tell by the motor on some of these guys. Need more players with an alpha-dog mentality.

I've mused (to myself) about this in the past. Ollie's a really, really nice guy, and maybe he attracts that sort of kid. JC was tough as nails on the outside, so maybe he appealed to those types of kids. Kids being a reflection of the coach and all that.

Just a musing, not based on anything, or claiming this is what is actually happening.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The shitshow continues. Wake up apologists. The program is a steamy mess of epic proportions.
go back to sleep - you have NO idea what is happening or causing some decisions to be made
All you KO bashers are having a field day over something you don't know, understand or will ever know
I am sure KO & Co. will be laughing last

Reaction Score
After all the "raging inferno"/"dumpster fire" talk coming from your crew, I don't take you seriously when you accuse me of "belittling" the program. Once again, you can't have it both ways.

ITT people suggested the coaches of Monmouth, East Tennessee State, and FGCU as good coaches to look at in Ollie's stead. If those are our options? Hell yeah I'm sticking with Ollie. You think a guy who can't even make the tournament while coaching Monmouth, someone with absolutely zero experience recruiting the northeastern part of the U.S., or someone who plays South Carolina-Upstate on their conference schedule (and also flamed out at ECU when they were in a worse conference than this one) are upgrades over Ollie? What a joke.
You've intimated on here over and over that even if we figure out Ollie isn't the guy we are stuck with him because UConn can't attract anything better. I think that's crazy and basically the definition of belittling our program. We all hope Ollie is the guy but the notion he is the be-all and end-all for UConn basketball is absurd.

Reaction Score
Seriously, though, Porzingis are Hernangomez good, but that's literally all the Knicks have. Yes, they don't have more talent because they haven't had picks, but that's kind of the point isn't it? I'm glad the Knicks have cleaned up a lot of their mess (I live in NYC and prefer when the Knicks are good), but they've got a long, long way to go.

I agree that they have a long way to go but you gotta start somewhere. They were in the depths of NBA hell for the better part of 15 years. No one was turning that franchise around in 3-4 years, it's more of a 6-8 year rebuild.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
It's still not.

Knicks had 5 undrafted players on the floor yesterday.

But things ain't good in either place.

Not to derail, but the knicks are literally a laugh out loud franchise right now. I have laughed out loud at them a couple of times this year.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
The sources you guys get info from is relative to their own positions and stances on it.

I'm not believing anyone unless it's KO. You can project some people to transfer and whatnot, but in terms of what's actually going on is a larger issue. I will only listen to KO for that.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
The common thread between the 3 players that transfered is that none of them could play defense (man to man defense) which is what UConn/Ollie want to play. Each player saw the writing on the wall and decided to hit the bricks rather than hit the bench.
I hold more credence to the post made by UconNation earlier in this thread.
Three separate reasons. MAL because of his tie to Miller. Vance and Juwan because of wanting to be closer to home. And Steve (and maybe part of Vance's reason) more playing time.

The common denominator would be the dismal season. A good season would have eliminated all of the above.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I agree that they have a long way to go but you gotta start somewhere. They were in the depths of NBA hell for the better part of 15 years. No one was turning that franchise around in 3-4 years, it's more of a 6-8 year rebuild.

Well, as the fan of another team that didn't do squat for 15+ years, I know it's good to feel like things are heading in the right direction. I'm not sure I have much faith in Jackson but at least he's not handing 1st round picks out like candy.

Reaction Score
After all the "raging inferno"/"dumpster fire" talk coming from your crew, I don't take you seriously when you accuse me of "belittling" the program. Once again, you can't have it both ways.

ITT people suggested the coaches of Monmouth, East Tennessee State, and FGCU as good coaches to look at in Ollie's stead. If those are our options? Hell yeah I'm sticking with Ollie. You think a guy who can't even make the tournament while coaching Monmouth, someone with absolutely zero experience recruiting the northeastern part of the U.S., or someone who plays South Carolina-Upstate on their conference schedule (and also flamed out at ECU when they were in a worse conference than this one) are upgrades over Ollie? What a joke.
Our program IS currently a dumpster fire, does that mean it can't be turned around? Uh no. What you preach is that if Ollie is let go the program dies with him. Which is laughable. We have a big time program with a national brand in basketball but you think there are/will never be any coaches who A) want to come here B) Can succeed here. I've never once said "fire Ollie" and you can find that out yourself if you're that weird but this program is bigger than Ollie.

Reaction Score
giphy.gif

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
You've intimated on here over and over that even if we figure out Ollie isn't the guy we are stuck with him because UConn can't attract anything better. I think that's crazy and basically the definition of belittling our program. We all hope Ollie is the guy but the notion he is the be-all and end-all for UConn basketball is absurd.

It's insane.

We're basically returning Jalen and Christian.

Then three kids coming off season ending injuries, a JUCO and a couple of three-ish star recruits.

We have five open scholarships in April!

I'm stunned someone could look at this and think this is the best we can do.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I know what you're saying. You're saying "but other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, did you enjoy the play?"

You can't just "yada yada yada" past a national championship. They are not that easy to come by.

Hahahah, can't believe i've made it all this time and never heard that phrase. Perfect.

If Emeka doesn't grab that one rebound....if Langdon doesn't trip on his face....if Horne's shot is 1cm shorter....

They happened.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I agree that no one is irreplaceable. But it's also possible that if he were to be dismissed a slew of problems would take place with whom ever he was replaced by. And I know you know this but I get the impression some people assume that it's easy to find better coaches. Or just by getting some named coach problems end. That's not the way the world works.

We could end up better, the same or worse. And anyone who knows differently is a fool imo.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Do you only watch UConn basketball? There are a lot of guys around the country who know what they are doing.
Stair is looking up Canadian girls HS coaches right now for guys in our tier who he thinks maaaaay take the job if offered if Ollie were to be let go.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
He is under the impression UConn lives and dies with Ollie. It's his go-to when defending him, we can't do any better is what the main point is which is preposterous. Like the flow of good young coaches is suddenly non existent. Strange coming from someone who defends the program to belittle it by making one man bigger than the entire operation.
Bingo.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
This doesn't in any way absolve Ollie of a shred of blame. He recruited each of those players to the program, and in doing so I'd imagine he knew full well their work ethic, family interference, etc. If he was oblivious to these things, he didn't do his homework. If he knew and took a risk, he's reaping the seeds he's sown.
You don't know a kid or fully understand a kid's work habit or attitude by a few visits
Its like many of the applicants that we as managers interview - some hide deficiencies really well
You obviously have never coached at a level above middle school and your statements as well as your avatar are plain whacked
I understand you do not like KO - I get it

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Dooley‏ @DooleyMcStitch 54m54 minutes ago
Dooley Retweeted Ed Daigneault

NO bueno. We needed to improve our bigs' production next year, but having zero is an interesting concept that I would not recommend.

Dooley added,

Ed Daigneault @EdDaigneault
UConn now has exactly 0 returning big men who have played a minute of college basketball.
0 replies0 retweets0 likes

My response...

Reaction Score
Well apparently the staff asked him to leave because he didn't want to hit the gym. I mean if these are the guys we've had - you can see the reason why this team absolutely sucked. I mean sure - Ollie is responsible at the end of the day for recruiting soft-serve ice cream machines, but jesus. At least he's self-correcting. Do everything you can to dig that stuff up and tear it out by the roots.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Stair is looking up Canadian girls HS coaches right now for guys in our tier who he thinks maaaaay take the job if offered if Ollie were to be let go.

Did you miss the part a couple pages ago when someone actually cited King Rice as someone worth taking a look at?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom