Dunn getting a raise from Randy’s pocket | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Dunn getting a raise from Randy’s pocket

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
They weren’t subsidizing 40 million a year?

From a budget that is about to get demolished in the next cycle.

It’s going to be football or (more) academic programs. The math is simple and clear. The academic side is going to take a bath - when they are on a 7-41 run we’ll see how cutting academics to fund this dead dream looks.

So Temple, Buffalo and UMass are brimming with cash? No deficits? Again, how are we the only program so far in the hole? Answer: We are not. The place needs a diet, not a mercy killing.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So Temple, Buffalo and UMass are brimming with cash? No deficits? Again, how are we the only program so far in the hole? Answer: We are not. The place needs a diet, not a mercy killing.

The difference of course would be they don’t have a 4 time NC basketball program that is being snuffed out while they pretend there is an endgame.

And no - I don’t believe any school will ever get the wake up call UConn is about to get financially. Maybe Upstater knows of schools that have had funding completely devastated as badly as is going to happen. The chickens are coming home to roost.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
What would it require for you folks to realize UConn is never, ever, EVER, EVER, EVER getting in the ACC or Big Ten?!?!?!? Some of you are delusional as hell.

You're all the same people who call No Escalators crazy and still honestly believe the P5 are going to *leave the NCAA entirely*, which is some real smooth brain thought process.

Yes, they're going to leave and deal with those lawsuits, sure, mmhmm.

Keep talking, @Dooley you're doing great sweetie.

I don’t think we have a shot at P5. I think the AAC is a better place than NBE

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
The difference of course would be they don’t have a 4 time NC basketball program that is being snuffed out while they pretend there is an endgame.

And no - I don’t believe any school will ever get the wake up call UConn is about to get financially. Maybe Upstater knows of schools that have had funding completely devastated as badly as is going to happen. The chickens are coming home to roost.

Well is certainly would be an all time fail if somehow we are one of the very few programs of the bottom half of the 129 FBS that has to commit suicide. I mean, talk about gross mismanagement...as in like epic mismanagement. What did we do, have a bunch of high schoolers running the books? Can't we get some college grads to run this joint? Are people in Connecticut just stupid? How are we so spectacularly incompetent when there are so many other sorry FBS programs out there like a Central Michigan, Nevada or even a Tulane that aren't teetering?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Well is certainly would be an all time fail if somehow we are one of the very few programs of the bottom half of the 129 FBS that has to commit suicide. I mean, talk about gross mismanagement...as in like epic mismanagement. What did we do, have a bunch of high schoolers running the books? Can't we get some college grads to run this joint? Are people in Connecticut just stupid? How are we so spectacularly incompetent when there are so many other sorry FBS programs out there like a Central Michigan, Nevada or even a Tulane that aren't teetering?

Why do you think I’ve been killing the administration and the athletic directors for years?

Gross mismanagement is an understatement.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Why do you think I’ve been killing the administration and the athletic directors for years?

Gross mismanagement is an understatement.

And what I am saying is that perhaps we dont have the right figures because otherwise you have to draw the conclusion that we have the dumbest people in the world at the helm in Storrs.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
And what I am saying is that perhaps we dont have the right figures because otherwise you have to draw the conclusion that we have the dumbest people in the world at the helm in Storrs.

We have the right numbers. That’s the best they can massage them.

That they are able to get away with taking cash upfront from the IMG deal and steal from the future is criminal.

It’s nice that at least one person seems to be seeing the light. Leadership has gotten away with destroying the athletic department.

Reaction Score
Agree. The endless Big East debate drives me nuts too but it's not just them. It's social media in a nutshell - create these hot takes opinions to drive clicks/likes. The irony, of course, is that the more our fanbase debates this nonsense instead of uniting into one huge, fortified fanbase, the more we continue to shoot ourselves in both feet while other schools/ADs pass us by.
Does anyone really believe this is our fan base or just a microcosm demonstrated on the Boneyard. Look, I have witnessed when UConn was at their height in basketball, the average fan who supported the team for years got shoved further and further up the rafters at the Civic Center until they got so upset, they no longer supported basketball. These same fans started to mock how fans would be seated in football. Then there was a glimpse with moderate success that this is exactly what would happen- ticket prices started to rise, increases in the donation to sit in the same seat. Fans defending it, saying there are still cheap seats and the sides formed. People refuse to acknowledge other causes for the decline in basketball attendance as a function solely on the conference we play. Or that our team cannot get talent due to same reason. But why would a fan go to a game when they can get a good seat for a non-performing team when/if it turns around, it’s back to the rafters. The school wants fan loyalty but what of the school’s loyalty to the fan? Now those same fans who gave up on basketball and football are saying, why should I support the school when they are down, when / if they do improve, someone with more money will take advantage of their support as I need to dust off the binoculars. So our home team (UConn) is a small sample of the social justice thinking of this state. So, going to the NBE is a cop-out, the return to something that truly is no longer great! UConn wants long term investment, commit to your fans by guaranteeing them ticket prices at reasonable rates with reasonable increases not to exceed -“X” potential during years where there is great success. So in the end fans that say - winning will solve this are correct. Problem is, this is not a good way to drive long-term support for your state university sports programs. There is no short-cut for fan loyalty with high revenue streaming. UConn tried and has suffered greatly with their losing records. Now we have fans asking for other entertainment distractions instead of the sporting activity being what draws you in. Again spend more money on the wrong things in the name of garnering fan support. UConn doesn’t need another quick fix. I have read so many terrible ideas and worse terrible excuses. Ask the fans for their loyalty and have the school give them loyalty in return. It won’t happen, because it’s not the model of future greed filled by pipe-dreams. So yes we must win - and the average fan still loses but perhaps they’ll see a good game on tv or a WI-FI device. And if we don’t win soon, our choices will not be options

Last edited:

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Applaud HCRE for this, but it stinks that it would come to this.

Really need major donors to step up and put endowed funds together for coaching salaries.

It would be nice to have a few big donors step up and do that.

It would be equally nice to get 40,000 small donors to come to a stadium six times a year and do that too. The latter would have a bigger impact on our athletic department...

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Nothing says "smooth brain" like clamoring for football to be shut down while pushing hockey as hard as you do.

Hockey isn't putting them eight figures in the hole and they're in a great recruiting area AND can win a national championship in the sport.

Other than that, yeah, great comparison.

Reaction Score
Well, how can UMass, Buffalo, Temple and a litany of other cold weather schools with less than stellar attendance keep their football going without a whiff of contraction discussion?
IDK, perhaps fewer to markedly fewer sports at Temple and Buffalo, e.g., no baseball, M&W hockey, etc. UMess? Not so sure.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
And how can I say that? Well, how can UMass, Buffalo, Temple and a litany of other cold weather schools with less than stellar attendance keep their football going without a whiff of contraction discussion?

If you think UMass and Temple haven't had discussions about dropping football, you really have not been paying attention. Ever read the Boston Globe on the rare day they cover UMass? Its about dropping football. Remember when the Big East kicked Temple out? Remember how Temple's plan to build a small stadium ala Tulane blew up in the face because the neighborhood didn't want it?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
If you think UMass and Temple haven't had discussions about dropping football, you really have not been paying attention. Ever read the Boston Globe on the rare day they cover UMass? Its about dropping football. Remember when the Big East kicked Temple out? Remember how Temple's plan to build a small stadium ala Tulane blew up in the face because the neighborhood didn't want it?
Let’s see who drops first because the talk around seems to be we are dropping tomorrow and that’s ahead of them.

Reaction Score
I think this is a really smart move of Edsall's part. He just had to fire his DC, if his OC bailed on him then that would be way too much churn.

It's pretty sad that it came to this but at the end of the day you have to respect this move. He's like a trauma surgeon in the Operating Room who just cut out an organ to save the patient. Maybe that's dramatic but you get the idea.

I don't buy into the "well he owes us, over the way he left". Really, he's past it at this point. I really believe that he just wants to make the program great again and this is a labor of love.

Reaction Score
Coach got his payday at Maryland. He’s paying it forward. He made UConn football relevant and he wants to restore it to some reasonable level so his legacy lives on. It shows pride in what he built and sadness in what it’s become.

In hindsight, maybe crusty, blame it on the players, don’t ask me stupid questions Randy is perfect for us. He’s just like the state of CT. Kind of unhappy, annoyed and insecure, yet somehow above it all at the same time.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Some of you guys are missing the point. I agree UConn isn’t getting into the Big Ten, but don’t think the door is closed for the ACC. That said, the whole thing is going to get blown up. This current “P5” world is temporary. This whole system of media rights flowing through conferences isn’t likely to last. Pay to play is probably coming to football, and it will be more than just UMass thinking about dropping it. Schools like Vandy, Northwestern, Wake Forest and others may be out.

The American is about to get a deal that will pay is probably close to double what the NBE gets while also providing better exposure. Big changes in how college athletics are structured will be coming and the number of schools playing college football at the top level is going to drop. These super conferences may not survive. We just need to position our school to be at least a second tier player in that landscape. We have not shot of staying with that smaller number of super schools.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Hockey isn't putting them eight figures in the hole and they're in a great recruiting area AND can win a national championship in the sport.

Other than that, yeah, great comparison.

And all that matters to who exactly?

By the way how much is the on campus arena going to cost?

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score

It would be equally nice to get 40,000 small donors to come to a stadium six times a year and do that too. The latter would have a bigger impact on our athletic department...
Exactly this! People want people with lots of money to donate. Yes, but money is relative - people who have a lot, spend a lot. If all UCONN fans agreed to make some kind of donation, even a small one, we will get more money. I make a donation every year. It is not a million, but it is enough to make me feel like I'm helping.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
The best way to donate if your budget is 1k is to buy four season tickets to football. That’s the way I have approached it for years. My kids are actually starting to like the games even though we don’t win.

Reaction Score
This circumstance is embarrassing, but the NBE crowd has their head in the sand if they think that conference and Villanova or Georgetown will be more valuable than Houston or UCF. Most people don’t really care about basketball. Football pays the bills.
At some places. Not here at the moment.

Reaction Score
The guilt trip has officially been laid upon us. And a sense of real urgency has been created.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Sadly, 20K extra fans paying $25 per game for a six game home slate only brings in another $3m in ticket revenue. It's a start, but there isn't a path forward where football ticket revenue is a significant part of the solution.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
SB Nation wrote a piece today saying UConn should drop to FCS. It was a decidedly dumb piece, but feel free to look it up in Google. I don't wanna post it as a thread here because I don't feel like starting a pages long referendum on the program yet again

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
SB Nation wrote a piece today saying UConn should drop to FCS. It was a decidedly dumb piece, but feel free to look it up in Google. I don't wanna post it as a thread here because I don't feel like starting a pages long referendum on the program yet again
Its the internet, so everyone with a key board gets to lob sh_t. F&ck that author.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I want Dunn and Spanos out front at the signing day event. Lets get some new mojo going.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom