Dunn getting a raise from Randy’s pocket | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Dunn getting a raise from Randy’s pocket

Reaction Score
You really think the NBE is a better alternative than the AAC?
For basketball, yes. For the entirety of UConn athletics I'm not sure yet. I flip back and forth

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I really think the travel kills us. Hopefully Hurley can figure a way around that, but it's definitely taxing. For the wallet and for the team. It's not as big of a deal for football obviously

I have an ultra simplistic point of view on the AAC. It seems to be working okay to very good for most schools. UCF/Memphis/UH/SMU and Temple are doing pretty well. USF/Tulane/ECU/Tulsa/Cincy just okay. The only schools not happy in the AAC are ECU and UConn. And ECU certainly isn't leaving because they will never marry better than this place.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
For basketball, yes. For the entirety of UConn athletics I'm not sure yet. I flip back and forth

It’s better for every non-football program in the athletic department except the baseball team.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
If we leave, Buffalo or UMass will take our place in a matter of minutes.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score

I think basketball is marginally better. Villanova is obviously better than anyone in our conference and Georgetown should get back to being good. But they haven’t done much in March overall and I don’t see how changing to a marginally better conference still full of teams we don’t really care about will change our fate. Are we really pining to play Butler and DePaul? I don’t care about any of these teams besides Nova and Georgetown

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I have an ultra simplistic point of view on the AAC. It seems to be working okay to very good for most schools. UCF/Memphis/UH/SMU and Temple are doing pretty well. USF/Tulane/ECU/Tulsa/Cincy just okay. The only schools not happy in the AAC are ECU and UConn. And ECU certainly isn't leaving because they will never marry better than this place.

This is the same league these schools have pretty much always been in. Cincy and USF got a taste of the big leagues recently but these teams have been in the best of the rest league for a long time.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If we leave, Buffalo or UMass will take our place in a matter of minutes.

There is not a way in the world the AAC invites another northern outlier. ODU would be a better choice than either of those two.

Reaction Score
Well the geography works out better for them than for us...

Reaction Score
I think basketball is marginally better. Villanova is obviously better than anyone in our conference and Georgetown should get back to being good. But they haven’t done much in March overall and I don’t see how changing to a marginally better conference still full of teams we don’t really care about will change our fate. Are we really pining to play Butler and DePaul? I don’t care about any of these teams besides Nova and Georgetown
Sometimes perception is reality. Throw in the benefit of local travel and it's a no brainer to me. The AAC has more potential but it's not helping us

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
There is not a way in the world the AAC invites another northern outlier. ODU would be a better choice than either of those two.
I disagree. But you know its hardly the point which school would fill the vacuum. Instead, everyone should just realize it will be willingly filled in seconds by optimistic and hungry programs ready for their shot.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
totally tangential, but I sometimes wonder if the strength of WBB hurts us. I can’t imagine they earn more than what we must spend on that program but perhaps they make us good money

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
This is the same league these schools have pretty much always been in. Cincy and USF got a taste of the big leagues recently but these teams have been in the best of the rest league for a long time.
And point remains, pretty much everyone is happy but our whiny little selves cause we haven't won yet.

I think its fair to say we have the most dissatisfied and bitter fan base.

Reaction Score
And point remains, pretty much everyone is happy but our whiny little selves cause we haven't won yet.
But this league actively helps other schools while simultaneously hurting us. They get to tell recruits "you're in the same conference as UConn" and we get to say "uhh there's Cincinnati I guess"

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score

Totally. But we were also screwed more than any other program in the country in CR and were bitter in the wake of that. No one has a crappier story than us

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
But this league actively helps other schools while simultaneously hurting us. They get to tell recruits "you're in the same conference as UConn" and we get to say "uhh there's Cincinnati I guess"
Good news, the shine on that recruiting angle is getting rusty.:eek:

Reaction Score
Sometimes perception is reality. Throw in the benefit of local travel and it's a no brainer to me. The AAC has more potential but it's not helping us

We are not helping ourselves. This is more on us than the AAC. Houston and UCF has passed us in not only football but men’s basketball too. You can argue that most of the league has passed us.

Reaction Score
Good news, the shine on that recruiting angle is getting rusty.:eek:
I'm not saying it's something we can't overcome, but it's not an issue in the big east because of the perception.

Reaction Score
We are not helping ourselves. This is more on us than the AAC. Houston and UCF has passed us in not only football but men’s basketball too. You can argue that most of the league has passed us.
That doesn't make it any less of an obstacle. The optics of being in the AAC are awful for us and recruiting no matter how you slice it

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

We should. There isn’t any excuse for being the worst team in CFB history.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
totally tangential, but I sometimes wonder if the strength of WBB hurts us. I can’t imagine they earn more than what we must spend on that program but perhaps they make us good money

The women’s basketball program has been a net negative w/r/t conference realignment.

1. Fans have a finite amount of money and money can’t support everything

2. The success they have can’t be replicated in other sports and has driven some people away from mbb/fb because they can only support 72 straights NCs

3. It makes us an absolute cultural outlier from almost every other school in the country. A lot of people elsewhere (and here) look at UConn sideways because it’s a ‘women’s basketball school’.

So while it’s good for the school and state it’s resource heavy with negative ROI for CR.

Reaction Score
A great mea culpa. Now though, let's see something better than worst all time in history, on the field.
I certainly don’t blame anyone for taking the wait and see approach. But at the same time you can’t blame anyone for being excited about the momentum that’s being created. It’s small but trending positively.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I’m getting sick of No Escalators’ schtick

Agree. The endless Big East debate drives me nuts too but it's not just them. It's social media in a nutshell - create these hot takes opinions to drive clicks/likes. The irony, of course, is that the more our fanbase debates this nonsense instead of uniting into one huge, fortified fanbase, the more we continue to shoot ourselves in both feet while other schools/ADs pass us by.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
We need another $150k for a QB or 0-12 is on the table.

Wonder if Benedict got his raise out of SuziLax’s money?
Recall how you called out how wafer thin we were on D way before last season started. We were as deep as a puddle. Agree we may be winless this year. That would beca death knell.
And yeah, we need a transfer or JUCO qb.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom