Dunn getting a raise from Randy’s pocket | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Dunn getting a raise from Randy’s pocket

Reaction Score
Travel is travel? They get knocked around just as much as the men do on a gender specific basis?
The skill gap is a lot wider in WBB than in men's

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
And point remains, pretty much everyone is happy but our whiny little selves cause we haven't won yet.

I think its fair to say we have the most dissatisfied and bitter fan base.

The UConn fanbase is one of sports' greatest mysteries. Every fanbase but ours understands CR completely and wants their school to go up (i.e. P5 conference), not down (i.e. NBE). But alas, ours wants to drop our entire athletic department into mid-majordom so we can play an extra game or two at Madison Square Garden...but then also complains when our AD schedules OOC games to be played at MSG.

There is a small part of me that would be semi-relieved if we ever joined the NBE...so I can swear off watching college sports altogether and stick to watching pro sports only. I have no interest in not playing sports at the highest collegiate level. None. And the majority of alumni that I know (40-somethings, so take that for what its worth) feel the exact same way.

Reaction Score
And point remains, pretty much everyone is happy but our whiny little selves cause we haven't won yet.

I think its fair to say we have the most dissatisfied and bitter fan base.
Worse though, there are fans on here that even if we made it to a bowl game next year will be detailing the timeline of our demise and how the season was fluky and how we’ve been a loser 8 out of the last 9 years blah blah blah.
Here’s what I do know....The coaching staff and players all have an opportunity to compete and play/coach in the sport they love. They have a season they’re preparing for, busting their arses to position themselves for success, it really doesn’t matter what anyone of us thinks. Sure we can opine all day but I envy those guys. They are living life and competing and putting the logo on their persons showing the world that they believe in the university and representing it with class.
Bravo football team! Live your lives!
I have children and exactly what RE and co are doing is exactly what I preach to my kids- when the chips are down go even harder!

Reaction Score
The skill gap is a lot wider in WBB than in men's

LOL OK... because they play teams that aren’t as good as them some nights the travel grind doesn’t effect them or they just compensate/hide the effects better than the men do?

Reaction Score
LOL OK... because they play teams that aren’t as good as them some nights the travel grind doesn’t effect them or they just compensate/hide the effects better than the men do?
Yeah. Feel free to disagree but I think when the playing field is more even, small things like travel start to add up.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The UConn fanbase is one of sports' greatest mysteries. Every fanbase but ours understands CR completely and wants their school to go up (i.e. P5 conference), not down (i.e. NBE). But alas, ours wants to drop our entire athletic department into mid-majordom so we can play an extra game or two at Madison Square Garden...but then also complains when our AD schedules OOC games to be played at MSG.

There is a small part of me that would be semi-relieved if we ever joined the NBE...so I can swear off watching college sports altogether and stick to watching pro sports only. I have no interest in not playing sports at the highest collegiate level. None. And the majority of alumni that I know (40-somethings, so take that for what its worth) feel the exact same way.

Every last person wants to be in the ACC.

There are just some who realize that isn’t ever going to happen.

I don’t think their position is that crazy. Doctors cut off infected limbs to keep people alive.

What you are debating is how fast the infection is going to kill them.

Reaction Score

We have been screwed so many times by CR that a lot of people think if we don't jump to the big east while we have the chance, we will be in purgatory forever. And as we continue to suck and nothing gets better, that looks more and more likely

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
We have been screwed so many times by CR that a lot of people think if we don't jump to the big east while we have the chance, we will be in purgatory forever. And as we continue to suck and nothing gets better, that looks more and more likely

I just think that the idea that jumping to the Big East will make things suck less is a farce

Reaction Score
I just think that the idea that jumping to the Big East will make things suck less is a farce
I can see both sides. I was firmly in the "don't even consider dropping football camp" but if the athletic department isn't taking football seriously then why should I or anyone else? And I'm a bigger fan of football than basketball. I don't even really like basketball that much

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
Kind of a stupid post. He is doing everything he can including giving money back to keep The Offensive C and now bringing in a Defensive C who has multiple pro experience and High level college football experience. The next huge step has to be uconn working to get in Football talent that is being accepted by all our competition.
What’s stupid ? The guy is 60 years old gave his blood , sweat and tears to the cause along with taking a pay cut! Please I think we know who’s stupid here!

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
No bigger Randy fan than I !! God bless him

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Not only is the NBE decidedly mediocre, but it’s not closing its doors anytime soon. Why voluntarily take ourselves out of the running for an upgrade before we’ve been formally eliminated? Throw in the towel once that happens, but only then.

Reaction Score
I can see both sides. I was firmly in the "don't even consider dropping football camp" but if the athletic department isn't taking football seriously then why should I or anyone else? And I'm a bigger fan of football than basketball. I don't even really like basketball that much
What do you think the athletic department should do? The bottom line is no matter which coach we’ve hired or what we try to do, we keep getting horrible recruits and putting a horrible product on the field. I think fixing that goes beyond coaches’ salaries at this point. It’s almost impossible to fix other issues without the product improving, and it just gets worse and worse.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score

No, I totally agree with you. It's complicated. We seem to be too dumb to muster up a few million extra for a decent salary pool. Saving a few million now is going to cost us tens of millions down the road, but we appear to keep cheaping out.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
What do you think the athletic department should do? The bottom line is no matter which coach we’ve hired or what we try to do, we keep getting horrible recruits and putting a horrible product on the field. It’s almost impossible to fix other issues without the product improving, and it just gets worse and worse.

Have a competitive salary pool. That's not a HUGE investment compared to things like facilities, but will pay massive dividends. Also, find a good bag man.

Dooley

Reaction Score

Nobody has been kicked in the groin more than UConn in CR. No question about that. But, the AAC is about to make more money in the upcoming TV deal negotiation so purgatory will get slightly better. Once the dollars between AAC/NBE are even, then there is no reason at all to go to the NBE...especially when UConn would have to pay the AAC $10M-$12M to do it.

Hurley has been able to recruit just fine in the AAC. He has consistently said time and time again that the "UConn" name/brand is bigger than anything else...and he's absolutely right. The league is better than what some UConn fans want to admit and it'll take a little longer than some UConn fans want to wait to win again. These endless Big East debates only hurt UConn in soooo many ways.

Reaction Score
Nobody has been kicked in the groin more than UConn in CR. No question about that. But, the AAC is about to make more money in the upcoming TV deal negotiation so purgatory will get slightly better. Once the dollars between AAC/NBE are even, then there is no reason at all to go to the NBE...especially when UConn would have to pay the AAC $10M-$12M to do it.

Hurley has been able to recruit just fine in the AAC. He has consistently said time and time again that the "UConn" name/brand is bigger than anything else...and he's absolutely right. The league is better than what some UConn fans want to admit and it'll take a little longer than some UConn fans want to wait to win again. These endless Big East debates only hurt UConn in soooo many ways.
The biggest problem is the talking heads. You'd think ESPN would spend time talking up the conference. Instead they gush over the NBE and it's not even one of their properties.

Reaction Score
Have a competitive salary pool. That's not a HUGE investment compared to things like facilities, but will pay massive dividends. Also, find a good bag man.
I’m not saying that a bigger salary pool wouldn’t help bring in better coaches, but we’re also going to be close to the last choice for a coach at X salary. I’m also not sure what coach will be such an exciting hire that we could get the necessary talent back in the program. It’s just such a big pit to climb out of.

Reaction Score
"Not a dime back." - The UConn alumni way.

That needs to change.

Notre Dame women's basketball has had alumni endow the coaching job. Head coach is paid for, handsomely, now and to come and without any fuss. Wouldn't that be nice to have at UConn - so that the women's coaching staff is sucking up money.

A practice of loyalty and service financially - giving back to the school that provided for you - that permeates successful schools and athletic departments. But not UCONN. Not a dime back.

Because of the culture fostered in Connecticut across the spectrum, socially, economically, etc. and absolutely entrenched at the University of Connecticut - the men's basketball program is not endowed for coaches. When you consider the number of professional basketball players that the program has produced and the number of multi-millionaires - that is shocking. To outsiders, that don't know. Not a dime back.

Edsall is many things, that I don't like. But a guy that doesn't understand the business of football? That's not Randy Edsall. The only hope that this program seems to have right now, is if Randy can find enough football alumni that can start to build a football endowment.

He better get at it to task, because the football alumni outrage at the hiring of Pasqualoni and Diaco, and the football alumni desire to have him back is as far as I can tell, the primary reason why he was considered to return.

I don't know how that "Not a dime back" culture changes across the board though. Not in an entitlement culture like Connecticut.

Dooley

Reaction Score
The biggest problem is the talking heads. You'd think ESPN would spend time talking up the conference. Instead they gush over the NBE and it's not even one of their properties.

...and they do that to de-value the AAC and even the UConn brand so that they can continue to receive surplus value from the conference. They know as well as anybody that UConn is a power conference school* being paid a significant discount price. They need that surplus value to continue to justify extreme overpaying for their power conference content and to try to steer viewers to their ACC content (and the schools that they steered into the ACC). By engaging in this debate over and over again, UConn fans only give these talking heads with a clear agenda a platform to continue de-valuing UConn/AAC...i.e. the shooting ourselves in both feet part.

*when our football program isn't 1-11 and has an all-time historic awful defense.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
"Not a dime back." - The UConn alumni way.

That needs to change.

Notre Dame women's basketball has had alumni endow the coaching job. Head coach is paid for, handsomely, now and to come and without any fuss. Wouldn't that be nice to have at UConn - so that the women's coaching staff is sucking up money.

A practice of loyalty and service financially - giving back to the school that provided for you - that permeates successful schools and athletic departments. But not UCONN. Not a dime back.

Because of the culture fostered in Connecticut across the spectrum, socially, economically, etc. and absolutely entrenched at the University of Connecticut - the men's basketball program is not endowed for coaches. When you consider the number of professional basketball players that the program has produced and the number of multi-millionaires - that is shocking. To outsiders, that don't know. Not a dime back.

Edsall is many things, that I don't like. But a guy that doesn't understand the business of football? That's not Randy Edsall. The only hope that this program seems to have right now, is if Randy can find enough football alumni that can start to build a football endowment.

He better get at it to task, because the football alumni outrage at the hiring of Pasqualoni and Diaco, and the football alumni desire to have him back is as far as I can tell, the primary reason why he was considered to return.

I don't know how that "Not a dime back" culture changes across the board though. Not in an entitlement culture like Connecticut.

Donating to a schools athletic department, one which has been run into the ground by incompetent leadership, is just about the last thing anybody should feel obligated to send their hard earned money to.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Not only is the NBE decidedly mediocre, but it’s not closing its doors anytime soon. Why voluntarily take ourselves out of the running for an upgrade before we’ve been formally eliminated? Throw in the towel once that happens, but only then.

What would it require for you folks to realize UConn is never, ever, EVER, EVER, EVER getting in the ACC or Big Ten?!?!?!? Some of you are delusional as hell.

You're all the same people who call No Escalators crazy and still honestly believe the P5 are going to *leave the NCAA entirely*, which is some real smooth brain thought process.

Yes, they're going to leave and deal with those lawsuits, sure, mmhmm.

Keep talking, @Dooley you're doing great sweetie.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Every last person wants to be in the ACC.

There are just some who realize that isn’t ever going to happen.

I don’t think their position is that crazy. Doctors cut off infected limbs to keep people alive.

What you are debating is how fast the infection is going to kill them.

Well doctor, it is my professional medical opinion the patient would live to 90 without the limb and 90 with the limb. Therefore, I recommend you keep the limb.

And how can I say that? Well, how can UMass, Buffalo, Temple and a litany of other cold weather schools with less than stellar attendance keep their football going without a whiff of contraction discussion? The patient maybe sick, but the sickness may not be football alone - there is systemic bloat (ie excess staff/sports/facilities) in the entire athletic department that must be addressed.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Well doctor, it is my professional medical opinion the patient would live to 90 without the limb and 90 with the limb. Therefore, I recommend you keep the limb.

And how can I say that? Well, how can UMass, Buffalo, Temple and a litany of other cold weather schools with less than stellar attendance keep their football going without a whiff of contraction discussion? The patient maybe sick, but the sickness may not be football alone - there is systemic bloat (ie excess staff/sports/facilities) in the entire athletic department that must be addressed.

They weren’t subsidizing 40 million a year?

From a budget that is about to get demolished in the next cycle.

It’s going to be football or (more) academic programs. The math is simple and clear. The academic side is going to take a bath - when they are on a 7-41 run we’ll see how cutting academics to fund this dead dream looks.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom