Dunn getting a raise from Randy’s pocket | The Boneyard

Dunn getting a raise from Randy’s pocket

Reaction Score
>>Edsall recently signed a “memorandum of agreement” with UConn that reduces his salary by $150,000, according to documents obtained by The Courant via a Freedom of Information Act request.

The agreement states that Edsall “voluntarily and independently approached the University and requested to reduce his supplemental salary by $150,000 in the 2019 and 2020 calendar year. ... Mr. Edsall has made this request in order to provide the University with additional funds to support the Football team."<<

Reaction Score
Well I guess you can't say Randy doesn't care. I think he regrets leaving and wants to make it right. I just don't know if he can anymore
A great mea culpa. Now though, let's see something better than worst all time in history, on the field.

#1 PA Husky Fan

Diehard Fan of All UConn Sports Teams!
Reaction Score
I think he can, and will turn this thing around to be respectable. Lots of respect for RE for this gesture. Speaks to the highest level of passion and commitment. How many people do any of us know that has taken money out of their own pocket to pay a team member? I’ve seen it once in my 30-year professional career. Kudos to Randy!!

Reaction Score
Applaud HCRE for this, but it stinks that it would come to this.

Really need major donors to step up and put endowed funds together for coaching salaries.

Yea - I'm torn on this story. On one end, great to see Edsall step up and sacrifice some of his own money to pay for Dunn's salary. But if the program won't step in and pay both - what are we doing here?

Reaction Score
Notice how it's for 2019 and 2020... Once the AAC gets a new TV deal, I think UConn will then be able to afford the salaries.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Yea - I'm torn on this story. On one end, great to see Edsall step up and sacrifice some of his own money to pay for Dunn's salary. But if the program won't step in and pay both - what are we doing here?[/QUOTE]

This is what I continue to ask, we are poor but we want to play big time football it doesn't work like that.

Reaction Score
I've been pretty devastated about the state of the program and was really on the edge about cutting back from attending my 3-4 home games and a road game every year. This makes it seem silly not to stay the course if our HC is this committed. My daughter is just going to have to cut her budget.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Great gesture by Randy. I don't know many bosses that even treat their employees to a lunch or happy hour, let alone $150K.

This makes me incredibly an anxious about the future viability of the program and where the AD is headed though.

UConn continues to expand the AD and sink more and more money into sports that don't matter and we can't even afford to pay our coaches market rate in the only sport that can actually get us out of this jam.

Paging @Dooley

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Great gesture by Randy. I don't know many bosses that even treat their employees to a lunch or happy hour, let alone $150K.

This makes me incredibly an anxious about the future viability of the program and where the AD is headed though.

UConn continues to expand the AD and sink more and more money into sports that don't matter and we can't even afford to pay our coaches market rate in the only sport that can actually get us out of this jam.

Paging @Dooley

We need another $150k for a QB or 0-12 is on the table.

Wonder if Benedict got his raise out of SuziLax’s money?

Reaction Score

Paging @Dooley
If we're not spending most of our money on football, I don't understand why we're even trying anymore

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

Paging @Dooley

Agree with you. It shouldn't be up to our head coach to pay for assistants out of his pocket. We have a G5-leading athletic department budget but continue to nickel-and-dime the most important sport for the university's / athletic department's long term viability.

Edsall's love of UConn is cool. Really cool. Matching donations for facility improvements. Giving raises to his assistants who clearly have earned it. If it weren't for Randy, we may have lost Dunn and Good Lord, can you imagine the meltdown if that happened? But you're absolutely right - this raise needs to come from UConn, not Randy.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

"But it can't get any worse"

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
"But it can't get any worse"

The idea that dropping football is not going to be on the table for the new president is absurd.

Keep in mind they took immediate cash out of the IMG deal - what did they wallpaper with that if Edsall is out of pocket to his assistants.

Not too tough to recruit against the school that is so screwed up the head coach is paying the assistants.

Everyone gets on me for killing them. I think it might be even bleaker than I suspect.

The stuff that looked so genius looks so stupid now. Joining Hockey East? NO BRAINER - until you have nowhere to play, a terrible team and the AD is so broke they can’t afford to have a spring game.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The idea that dropping football is not going to be on the table for the new president is absurd.

Keep in mind they took immediate cash out of the IMG deal - what did they wallpaper with that if Edsall is out of pocket to his assistants.

Not too tough to recruit against the school that is so screwed up the head coach is paying the assistants.

Everyone gets on me for killing them. I think it might be even bleaker than I suspect.

The stuff that looked so genius looks so stupid now. Joining Hockey East? NO BRAINER - until you have nowhere to play, a terrible team and the AD is so broke they can’t afford to have a spring game.

If it comes to it, so be it. Would be a sad day for the university, but feeling sad doesn't pay the bills.

I'm actually of the belief that in any P5 breakaway that the Big East would still be included in any newly created Tournament.

So at least hoops would remain at the highest level of their sport.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If it comes to it, so be it. Would be a sad day for the university, but feeling sad doesn't pay the bills.

I'm actually of the belief that in any P5 breakaway that the Big East would still be included in any newly created Tournament.

So at least hoops would remain at the highest level of their sport.

The P5 is not breaking away in basketball. They will squeeze more of the cash away from the other schools but the way to maximize college basketball revenue is exactly the system they have today.

275 schools playing for the chance to win a first round NCAA game, 50 schools that can legimately have a season every now and again where they go to the S16 and 25 programs that are playing at the highest level with 4 of them dominating the interest and recruiting.

People want first round upsets and a FF of Duke/KU/UK/UNC.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The P5 is not breaking away in basketball. They will squeeze more of the cash away from the other schools but the way to maximize college basketball revenue is exactly the system they have today.

275 schools playing for the chance to win a first round NCAA game, 50 schools that can legimately have a season every now and again where they go to the S16 and 25 programs that are playing at the highest level with 4 of them dominating the interest and recruiting.

People want first round upsets and a FF of Duke/KU/UK/UNC.
I'm not convinced that the basketball is sacrosanct. If the media money bubble bursts, and there are plenty of that signs that that is the case, conferences will be looking to replace the lost revenue. The NCAA tournament and the funding of Olympic sports seems like low hanging fruit at that point.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
Randy is coming to the end, I give him 2 more years

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
This circumstance is embarrassing, but the NBE crowd has their head in the sand if they think that conference and Villanova or Georgetown will be more valuable than Houston or UCF. Most people don’t really care about basketball. Football pays the bills.

Reaction Score
Kind of a stupid post. He is doing everything he can including giving money back to keep The Offensive C and now bringing in a Defensive C who has multiple pro experience and High level college football experience. The next huge step has to be uconn working to get in Football talent that is being accepted by all our competition.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom