Dunn getting a raise from Randy’s pocket | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Dunn getting a raise from Randy’s pocket

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
What would it require for you folks to realize UConn is never, ever, EVER, EVER, EVER getting in the ACC or Big Ten?!?!?!? Some of you are delusional as hell.

You're all the same people who call No Escalators crazy and still honestly believe the P5 are going to *leave the NCAA entirely*, which is some real smooth brain thought process.

Yes, they're going to leave and deal with those lawsuits, sure, mmhmm.

Keep talking, @Dooley you're doing great sweetie.

Your kind words mean the world to me.

Dooley

Reaction Score
It's very easy to kick something when they're down. Not too long ago, sports writers couldn't stop writing about how quickly UConn became competitive in FBS. Sports are cyclical but I admit our down cycle has been much longer than anticipated.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
It's very easy to kick something when they're down. Not too long ago, sports writers couldn't stop writing about how quickly UConn became competitive in FBS. Sports are cyclical but I admit our down cycle has been much longer than anticipated.

I’m just annoyed that football catches all the heat. MBB and WBB run a deficit and that never seems to be an issue. If we are going to cut football because it loses money, then we shouldn’t have sports period.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
If Football wasn't 18-55 over the last 5 years it probably wouldn't...

No I totally agree, I just don’t get how basketball seems to absolve itself of any responsibility for their own position. Everything that’s wrong with basketball is the football teams fault and conferences fault. We think we’re too good for a conference that we’ve never even competed in

Reaction Score
No I totally agree, I just don’t get how basketball seems to absolve itself of any responsibility for their own position. Everything that’s wrong with basketball is the football teams fault and conferences fault. We think we’re too good for a conference that we’ve never even competed in

Bow down to the Big East dammit...

Dooley

Reaction Score
I’m just annoyed that football catches all the heat. MBB and WBB run a deficit and that never seems to be an issue. If we are going to cut football because it loses money, then we shouldn’t have sports period.

Football has been downright unwatchable for the last few years, especially last season. But yeah, that's what separates our fanbase from every single other fanbase in the country. Other fanbases want their schools to devote more resources/money towards improving the product. Our fanbase wants to cut the sport altogether and compete in the NCAA's version of the minor, minor leagues. I really hate the entitled quitter's mentality that our fanbase embraces all too willingly.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Hockey isn't putting them eight figures in the hole and they're in a great recruiting area AND can win a national championship in the sport.

Other than that, yeah, great comparison.

UConn hockey is 7-14-1 and just drew a very uninspiring 3K the other night. It has yet to win a single playoff round in Hockey East, eerily similar to this state's former NHL team, and you are talking about winning a national championship in the sport. Yet despite all that, the school is bonding out $25M (more with the interest over the length) to build a part-time arena on-campus to play, maybe, 4 or 5 games a year there. Ironically enough, UConn hockey will likely play less games a year at the new part-time on-campus arena than the football team plays at the Rent. Is that a better comparison for you?

Men's basketball put UConn seven figures in the hole and hasn't made a postseason tournament - NCAAs or NIT - in several years, despite playing in a conference that is well below the silver spoon standards of our entitled fanbase. Women's basketball also put UConn seven figures in the hole and, God forbid, did not win a national championship last season. Should somebody start a "drop all basketball" thread too?

I know this is going to blow your mind, but it is quite possible to root for all UConn sports without wailing on and on about dropping a sport when it loses.

Note: I have hockey tickets and root for them just like I root for every other UConn sport.

Last edited:

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Sadly, 20K extra fans paying $25 per game for a six game home slate only brings in another $3m in ticket revenue. It's a start, but there isn't a path forward where football ticket revenue is a significant part of the solution.

Then you're not following what happens after.

40k fans = better recruits
Better recruits = more wins
More wins = more merchandise sales, etc

Do this for all our major sports, and you will see the gap disappear. It's our state, our school, our team. Winning begets winning. Investment begets investment. We can accomplish this together...

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
The reality is this, folks: sports are the top marketing asset of almost every college in the country (except the ivies). Period.

The fact is that our increase in success in sports DIRECTLY correlates with an increase in both our enrollment and our national ranking as a school. Most people do not view a loss in sports revenue as an investment in marketing...

... but I do! And most universities know it. Is a 40 million dollar gap sustainable? Unlikely. But we'll be fine if we simply shrink the gap. We don't need to close it completely. Just shrink it...

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
UConn hockey is 7-14-1 and just drew a very uninspiring 3K the other night.

They've played like crap, were facing a bad team they have no history with, the game was opposite home MBB *and* a WBB game and you think thats a bad number? That's flipping impressive.

It has yet to win a single playoff round in Hockey East, eerily similar to this state's former NHL team, and you are talking about winning a national championship in the sport. Yet despite all that, the school is bonding out $25M (more with the interest over the length) to build a part-time arena on-campus to play, maybe, 4 or 5 games a year there. Ironically enough, UConn hockey will likely play less games a year at the new part-time on-campus arena than the football team plays at the Rent. Is that a better comparison for you?

The arena plan is really, really dumb, as I have said ad nauseum (as has everyone else).

Men's basketball put UConn seven figures in the hole and hasn't made a postseason tournament - NCAAs or NIT - in several years, despite playing in a conference that is well below the silver spoon standards of our entitled fanbase. Women's basketball also put UConn seven figures in the hole and, God forbid, did not win a national championship last season. Should somebody start a "drop all basketball" thread too?

UConn basketball has shown an ability to be insanely profitable and succesful, unlike UConn football, which has done neither.

I know this is going to blow your mind, but it is quite possible to root for all UConn sports without wailing on and on about dropping a sport when it loses.

Note: I have hockey tickets and root for them just like I root for every other UConn sport.

I know this is going to blow your mind, but it is quite possible to root for all UConn sports and not have your head 4 feet deep in the sand thinking everything with football is ok when it clearly, obviously, maddeningly is not.

Note: I have football tickets and root for them just like I root for every other UConn sport

Reaction Score
UConn hockey is 7-14-1 and just drew a very uninspiring 3K the other night. It has yet to win a single playoff round in Hockey East, eerily similar to this state's former NHL team, and you are talking about winning a national championship in the sport. Yet despite all that, the school is bonding out $25M (more with the interest over the length) to build a part-time arena on-campus to play, maybe, 4 or 5 games a year there. Ironically enough, UConn hockey will likely play less games a year at the new part-time on-campus arena than the football team plays at the Rent. Is that a better comparison for you?

Not gonna defend the $25 million on essentially a Freitas replica with a few more seats and strength room. That is indeed crazy.

But I will defend the team. It finished 5th in Hockey East last year and lost a lot to graduation and leaving early to turn pro. This year they have lost a lot of games which is gonna translate to low attendance. But they are not abysmal, and have beaten a couple pretty good clubs including Yale. Yeah, this is a down year for men's hockey, but with this many freshmen on the team they will be back in a big way next year. Not at all like football. Hockey IS getting 4 and 5 star recruits which is why some are leaving early (and btw, getting more than just a taste in the NHL). Oh, and they play in a top league.

Dooley

Reaction Score
I know this is going to blow your mind, but it is quite possible to root for all UConn sports and not have your head 4 feet deep in the sand thinking everything with football is ok when it clearly, obviously, maddeningly is not.

Note: I have football tickets and root for them just like I root for every other UConn sport

Huh? Please direct me to my quote that says football is ok. It is assuredly not ok. We finished 1-11 last year and had the sports worst defense in the history of the game. I think we all agree here that football is not ok.

You want to drop the program; I want to improve upon it. I admit, I think that incessantly whining about dropping a program that you claim to root for is an odd way to show your support, but to each is own I suppose.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom