Dumbest Fan 'Traditions' in Sports | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Dumbest Fan 'Traditions' in Sports

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Personally always thought the continued airball chants (where they keep going every time that player touches the ball again) are dumb, because half the time someone on the home team has thrown one up in the same game.
Yea but the point of the it is to get in that player's head, and you can bet it does for certain less than average shooters. If fans were worried about fairness there would be zero chants or insults thrown in sports.

Reaction Score
I stopped short of saying the airball chant is stupid in and of itself simply because it seems like too much to ask it to go away altogether. But it's stupid in and of itself.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
NFL Draft crowd shots of fans decked out in nfl gear who don't know any of the players that they're cheering or booing for.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I hate this stupid tradition. It accomplishes absolutely nothing, isn’t fun and if anything provides a letdown after the first bucket. I refuse to take part in it.
Well since we play half our games in Hartford, it doesn't surprise me that you try to make yourself a smaller target.

a-man-in-a-bunker-with-gun-at-the-1940s-weekend-at-leyburn-in-north-cx9b6e.jpg

Last edited:

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I hate this stupid tradition. It accomplishes absolutely nothing, isn’t fun and if anything provides a letdown after the first bucket. I refuse to take part in it.

Plus, when everyone sits down it draws a sharp contrast between our fans and fans of some other schools that actually stand for most if not all of the game.

Reaction Score
Booing when the pitcher throws to first.

Whadaya got?

One tradition I'd like to see come back is strip foul shots between opposing cheerleading crews at college basketball game halftimes. Each cheerleader shoots 6 foul shots, after each miss they remove a shoe, a sock, a shirt, etc. Pepperdine tried that back in the 70's, lasted only one game for variety of reasons. Lol.

Reaction Score
1. If we're including things like Sweet Caroline, the kiss cam should easily be #1. That is not only the worst thing in sports but probably all of society. It's an absolute menace.

2. Agreed that the stand until the first bucket tradition is bad. I liked it at first because it seemed like a novelty, but "stand until..." anything implies that it is ever OK to sit at a college basketball game which of course it is not. (Kidding, but there are certain games that are big enough to warrant standing for longer than the first minute or two) Somebody mentioned it a while back, but the idea of standing until the other team scores their first basket is far more enticing because it's consistent with our culture of defense first and would actually invigorate the crowd the longer it goes and motivate the players rather than unnerve them.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
IMG_4903.JPG
IMG_4903.JPG Not a sports tradition, but something that drives me nuts. Women who wear sunglasses in the airport attempting to look like they're hiding from TMZ. Especially prevalent in Southern California. Waiting for my flight from Long Beach to Reno/Tahoe right now and this chick next to me is getting on my nerves.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
All of them. Except standing until the first field goal. That's a good one.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
That's it everybody sit down and stop having fun because I hate when you have fun! This sports stuff is super serious you guys!

This is the most crotchety thing I've seen in a long time, which is impressive because I'm here every day.

Reaction Score
Watching grown men do the Florida gator chomp with their arms like it’s intimidating someone

Reaction Score
You carve up dead animals for fun, and you’re surprised the boneyard won’t hold your attention?
LOL. Carve them up for food, farm raised, not from China, no AntiBs, no growth hormone, and so on, but you're right that I do enjoy it. Very satisfying to put 1 year's worth of Beef in the fridge in a day, cut any way I like. Just started experimenting with sous vide, which has been very nice so far.
BTW - two remaining steer are going to freezer camp in January, and a new one will be arriving in the Spring. But that new one will have a Buddy. It'll be the Boneyard Steer/Heifer. I'll post a thread when I get it for a public naming, and then we'll have to figure out a BY event when I can bring the cuts out. Only 2 requests from my end: I want to meet Fishy and Temery, and it's gotta be in CT or really close by. Not even BSing one bit.

Reaction Score
I am torn on our own UConn tradition of standing until our first basket is made. I used to like it. Im in my 50s now and the last few years it could get tiring and i go to a lot of the men's games. And yes that includes the first 28 games or so of 2014.

I love this one and I have heard opponent say it is unnervimg.

Reaction Score
Plus, when everyone sits down it draws a sharp contrast between our fans and fans of some other schools that actually stand for most if not all of the game.

In big moments and big games our fans stand plenty. Don't know any schools where non student section fans are standing all game.

Reaction Score
The idiots who now yell whatever the want after a drive in a PGA event so they can hear themselves. It amazes me they don’t realize people now think they are the biggest joke on the courses.
“UConn BIG 12!!!!”

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
In big moments and big games our fans stand plenty. Don't know any schools where non student section fans are standing all game.

Right but when everyone sits down en masse its kind of embarrassing. IMO.

It would be great if our student section (a) stood all game and (b) was visible on telecasts.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom