Duke women end their season [merged] | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Duke women end their season [merged]

Reaction Score
Off topic, but i lived in AK for 40years (20 of which were in the NW Arctic Borough). Where do you live?
Interesting! Wow, I'm finishing my 2nd year. Kasigluk, a village about 30 miles (by bush plane or snow machine) west of Bethel. They love hoops up here. Not sure if we'll be able to play this year. Did you coach?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
More recent article

Most relevant details

His counterpart on the women’s side, Lawson, said outright on Dec. 9, “I don’t think we should be playing right now.” Her team then paused basketball activities on Dec. 16 after two positive tests from within its travel party.

Reaction Score
#1 We don't know the whole story.
#2 We do know that two Duke WBB program members tested positive (players/coaches/student managers/athletic personnel)
#3 The statement said the "players chose" to opt out. This could be due to seeing a fellow player down, it could be due to the toll mentally, it could be due to many personal feelings, We don't know AND THAT'S OK
#4. Anyone throwing "snark" onto this decision is clearly not paying attention to the pandemic. We don't know the long term ramifications of what a positive test means for these peoples lungs, antibodies and other vital organs-plus the potential exposure to their families, senior administration staff and other teams.
#5, It's Christmas, a time of benevolence and far too many people on this thread are acting with such contempt and disrespect, it saddens me to be associated even on a blog...

I implore everyone to stop hiding behind an avatar and realize we are all people. Understand you have de-humanized your perspective through this anonymity. Think of it like a large cocktail party, don't offend but politely disagree and move on.

Let's try to find the more positive side of sports and think about the players, the coaches, the schools and their lives.

Humbly, sadly and most sincerely submitted,
DefenseBB
Hey, I'm one of the big snarks here, and even I haven't said anything snarky (yet). Let's keep everyone safe and respect their decisions.

Reaction Score
#1 We don't know the whole story.
#2 We do know that two Duke WBB program members tested positive (players/coaches/student managers/athletic personnel)
#3 The statement said the "players chose" to opt out. This could be due to seeing a fellow player down, it could be due to the toll mentally, it could be due to many personal feelings, We don't know AND THAT'S OK
#4. Anyone throwing "snark" onto this decision is clearly not paying attention to the pandemic. We don't know the long term ramifications of what a positive test means for these peoples lungs, antibodies and other vital organs-plus the potential exposure to their families, senior administration staff and other teams.
#5, It's Christmas, a time of benevolence and far too many people on this thread are acting with such contempt and disrespect, it saddens me to be associated even on a blog...

I implore everyone to stop hiding behind an avatar and realize we are all people. Understand you have de-humanized your perspective through this anonymity. Think of it like a large cocktail party, don't offend but politely disagree and move on.

Let's try to find the more positive side of sports and think about the players, the coaches, the schools and their lives.

Humbly, sadly and most sincerely submitted,
DefenseBB
Beautifully composed post! I literally want to print this and have it chistled on a slab of granite. I totally agree with the sentiments. [ ]

Maybe the answer isn’t to politely dismiss oneself from a conversation, but to actually learn how to have a civil conversation with someone or some people one disagrees with. Maybe a blog about a team we all admire is a “zone” where uncomfortable conversations can take place safely.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Duke is a wonderful place so lets recognize that and cut them some slack. They have high standards which went even higher after I left.. :p
And here I thought you were from CCSU...

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
There will be a tournament. There is NO Way they will cancel the season 2 years in a row. Even if they halt play today & choose the Final 4 based on top 4 seeding today and hold the Tournament in April, there will be a National Championship in 2021!
Life as we know it won’t change if there’s no basketball. Allowing a pandemic to continue unfettered will.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
And worried about being exposed as well that they contacted the NCAA&said that they didn’t want to play any teams that didn’t test their players every day or they would opt out.The
@NCAA
denied their completely doable request.Sad they didn’t think our athletes health was worth it

Reaction Score
I, too, would love to believe that there is a more noble reason for the ending of their season. And Coach K. sounds noble. But the Duke football team played their full schedule, the men's basketball team continue, and as for the endowment money, it would be interesting to see what percentage goes to the woman's basketball team compared to the men's.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
A parent speaks out. 'They've done everything they could': Duke basketball parent speaks out about team's decision to cancel season

Would they resume season if there was a bubble? How would they make up their games?

In the article, it says

"When they were talking to me about COVID they were talking about a social responsibility for your country, for other players," said Michelle Goodchild. "They aren't just looking at the student-athletes. They've got a bigger vision. They're looking at how to protect Durham, the greater Duke community and beyond.

I can understand if there is concern on a given team for their own players / coaches etc and they have perfect right to do what they feel is best but I do not understand the idea that this protects the bigger community

If the players are tested regularly (article says daily) so that a positive result can be isolated quickly with medical supervision, it seems to me they are safer to the outside community than letting them go back unmonitored into the college community. ??

In general the mother seems to be all over the map with her feelings as can be expected.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Life as we know it won’t change if there’s no basketball. Allowing a pandemic to continue unfettered will.
I'm personally becoming more cynical ( as if possibly) that the adults involved will come to their senses and shut down this season or take an extended EVERYONE pause. Syracuse WBB just announce it s suspending play due to COVID. Villanova men's and Syracuse Men ( 3rd stoppage) have suspended play. What's it going to take for everyone to pause?

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I'm personally becoming more cynical ( as if possibly) that the adults involved will come to their senses and shut down this season or take an extended EVERYONE pause. Syracuse WBB just announce it s suspending play due to COVID. Villanova men's and Syracuse Men ( 3rd stoppage) have suspended play. What's it going to take for everyone to pause?
Coco I've heard there already talks about doing something whether a pause or cancelling the season.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Kelly Williams, mother of Duke WBB Senior Jade Williams:

1609182398384.png

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Why did the Duke women’s basketball team end its season? Here are some answers

From the article.

When a teammate became infected with coronavirus, Duke women’s basketball players wanted their opponents to be tested for COVID-19 daily just as they are under the school’s strident protocols during the pandemic.

When those wishes weren’t granted by the ACC or NCAA, the team decided last week to opt out for the remainder of the season, citing health and safety concerns.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom