Duke women end their season [merged] | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Duke women end their season [merged]

Reaction Score
Wonder what is different than the situation at UConn earlier in the season. Seems like Christmas break would fall at a good time for them. Anxious to hear about the circumstances.
Kudos to Geno for always being the ambassador for WCBB that he is. Not sure he was always that way, maybe 1985-1995. I don't have the knowledge to speak to that. In his presser, right after the positive tests, he was absolutely pitch perfect. He expressed openly the frustration of practice with no games. He was empathetic to what the players were going through. He has assumed the role of being a positive voice through the process. He is strictly following protocols and doing what is possible to prepare his team for competition at the same time as keeping everyone safe. He has NOT been outspoken about playing or not playing, like Coach K has been. Geno's attitude about this pandemic world IMO will pay dividends for the team. If it's even necessary at UConn, the team will pull together even more.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
UConn isn't the topic. Milford suggested that the stoppage was due to a medical staff recommendation. My question is if so how did they arrive at different conclusions for the men and women. I mean, both teams will be playing an ACC home and road schedule so the environments they are and will be in are identical.
My speculative thought is that the one and dones on the men's team need the exposure, a really poor reason, if true.
I think Nan said the medical staff probably were involved. The article I linked didn't say that.

Reaction Score
If might end up that the last team standing will end up being the National Champion.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
If might end up that the last team standing will end up being the National Champion.
Exactly. The team that manages the pandemic best or is the luckiest.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
passing.gif

Just passing through to check for the snark filled replies....... and the BY never disappoints :rolleyes::cool:

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night.

Reaction Score
1. Kara Lawson's father was a doctor, so maybe he was also in her thoughts.
2. It said the players chose, no?
3. I suspect (but do not know) that the fidelity with which teams apply Covid restrictions are also affected by geography/demographics.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
They had a 0% chance of winning it all, like 99.99% of women’s college hoops teams, so it doesn’t really matter if they quit or not.

Reaction Score
I guess that's one way to keep your career win percentage above 70%. Ope there's the snark you came for ;)

Reaction Score
I think there is more to this story, and perhaps we will never know the true reasons. I don't think money is involved in this decision. (at least not the main decision.) We don't know what these young women are going through. We don't know their family's health and concerns. There is a lot of mental anguish everywhere.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think there is more to this story, and perhaps we will never know the true reasons. I don't think money is involved in this decision. (at least not the main decision.) We don't know what these young women are going through. We don't know their family's health and concerns. There is a lot of mental anguish everywhere.
Well stated. Think about UConn WBB. They have each other and that’s about it. They’ve been on campus since July, living a largely isolated existence, going to class on line and not able to see family and friends in person.....No break for the holidays....fearful of contracting the virus themselves, and even more fearful of transmitting it to their teammates and coaches.

I think all these young ladies are extraordinary for the personal sacrifices they are willing to make for their team, to somehow be able to complete a basketball season.

Reaction Score
Well stated. Think about UConn WBB. They have each other and that’s about it. They’ve been on campus since July, living a largely isolated existence, going to class on line and not able to see family and friends in person.....No break for the holidays....fearful of contracting the virus themselves, and even more fearful of transmitting it to their teammates and coaches.

I think all these young ladies are extraordinary for the personal sacrifices they are willing to make for their team, to somehow be able to complete a basketball season.
Good perspective! Well said.
It's a Covid year though. Geno has it right. The women came to UConn to play basketball and he's going to do everything in his realm to make that possible. Everybody has it bad. Make the most of it. Playing in any form is better than not playing. Tell me someone that does not have it tough right now?
I live in an Alaska Native village that is in lockdown. Our store burned down a couple of months ago. School is total distance learning. Kids could care less about distance learning. I've put on 15 pounds being cooped up in an apartment. Everyone has a Covid story.
They've started now. Be safe, follow all protocols and precautions. Play it out. Build bubbles. Keep it moving.

Reaction Score
Can UConn protest the Tennessee game in January? I was checking out the their athletic site and they are letting fans in and still selling alcohol...not really much precautions other than "recommendations." If it's like South Dakota, 99% of people say to hell with recommendations especially if they aren't enforced. Lady Vols had thousands at their latest home game..

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom