Duke women end their season [merged] | The Boneyard

Duke women end their season [merged]

Reaction Score

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I didn't realize that a team can simply stop playing without the consent of the AD and probably the school president. The coaches would be at risk of termination for insubordination.
The NCAA is allowing any player to opt out of playing if they so choose. Hundreds of football and basketball players have done so. This may simply have been a decision by all or most Duke WBB players to opt out, essentially forcing the team to cancel the remainder of the season. I don’t think it has anything to do with insubordination.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I didn't realize that a team can simply stop playing without the consent of the AD and probably the school president. The coaches would be at risk of termination for insubordination.
Probably not the coach’s call but the medical staf’s.

Reaction Score
The NCAA is allowing any player to opt out of playing if they so choose. Hundreds of football and basketball players have done so. This may simply have been a decision by all or most Duke WBB players to opt out, essentially forcing the team to cancel the remainder of the season. I don’t think it has anything to do with insubordination.

If it had been UNC the Dukies would be screaming "quitters!!".

But maybe alumni contributions are down. Remember, there are a lot of unemployed waiters and waitresses. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Question: If the decision was made by the AD then why the women and not the men0?

Answer: The men produce revenue, the women are a revenue drain.
The Golden Goose of collegiate sports aka college football has already laid its egg. I don't know I posted it here or somewhere else but I said I wouldn't be shocked if college football have be allowed to finish its season and women's college basketball wouldn't.

Reaction Score
Are there 2 at UCONN?
UConn isn't the topic. Milford suggested that the stoppage was due to a medical staff recommendation. My question is if so how did they arrive at different conclusions for the men and women. I mean, both teams will be playing an ACC home and road schedule so the environments they are and will be in are identical.
My speculative thought is that the one and dones on the men's team need the exposure, a really poor reason, if true.

Reaction Score
Question: If the decision was made by the AD then why the women and not the men0?

Answer: The men produce revenue, the women are a revenue drain.

Yeah...one might ask, in the same vein, why skip football and then
play basketball in the covid ?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom