Duke transfers - Azura Stevens, Angela Salvadores

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Excellent run down UC
Concrete translations:
1: Is the player bringing drama to UCONN? Stevens is by all accounts drama free.
2: Does Geno invest in Stevens for 2 Years when he has a chance to sign Jade Williams or LaDazhia Williams and have them for 4 years.
3: Will UCONN have minutes at the PF position in the 2017-18 season. UCONN will have minutes available at PF position and IMO Stevens is a better player than anyone being recruited or who will be on the UCONN roster at that time.

This is a no brainer!

Ms Stevens would sit out a year, correct? If so,

1) Agree...have not heard any issues about her.
Now, to amend this for another team ;)
2) Add Danielle Patterson and Mikayla Vaughn to this list.
3) Would certainly welcome her alongside Ms. Turner, Westbeld and Boley.
(That said, I can't recall the Irish bringing in a transfer on the women's side in ages...but this is one top player.)

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Azurá Stevens and Angela Salvadores are leaving the Duke program. Stevens will transfer; Salvadores is going to play professional basketball.[/QUO

Thanks for starting this up. ND has not had a transfer in -- to the best of my knowledge -- in quite some time.

When are transfers announced?

The spring announcement period in April? If so, there's going to be a lot of phone calls going on between now and then.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
By my count, Duke now has 9 returnees and 1 recruit coming in?

Brown (Jr) - Lambert (So) - Primm (So) - Greenwell (Jr) - Chidom (Sr) as a small starting 5?
Slocum (Fr) - Gorecki (So) - Suggs (So) - Belton (So) - Mathias (Jr) on the bench

Duke has also had a lot of injuries. They better hope for some health.

Isn't Slocum headed to Maryland?

I think Azura is a great basketball player and if she wanted to be a part of UCONN nation we would welcome her with open arms.

I had heard at the McDonalds game from a friend that Duke was going to lose a few players (maybe more than two) and that some other programs would be losing talent too. Its all speculation of course but some of these AAU coaches are in the know.

Good luck to both young ladies wherever they end up.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
Ms Stevens would sit out a year, correct? If so,

1) Agree...have not heard any issues about her.
Now, to amend this for another team ;)
2) Add Danielle Patterson and Mikayla Vaughn to this list.
3) Would certainly welcome her alongside Ms. Turner, Westbeld and Boley.
(That said, I can't recall the Irish bringing in a transfer on the women's side in ages...but this is one top player.)

Would ND be a candidate since they are in the same conference?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
No, probably not - all conference impose that extra year penalty on in conference transfers and I cannot remember the last time a player transferred 'in conference'. Uconn did have a transfer to St. Johns back in the early 2000s but I think there was a work around on the two year requirement at that time.

Dillon77

Reaction Score

That's a really good question (we have not had a transfer in women's hoops in ages and the ones in the guys program came from different conferences, so I never really paid attention to this). I was aware that we once had a top soccer player from Duke transfer to ND and he just sat out a year before playing for two seasons. Don't know if the same applies to women's hoops? Also don't know if Duke Athletic Department has to approve the application for transfer to specific schools or if it's a blanket rule.

I've got to run to a dinner engagement, but will ask for any input. In the meantime, here's a paragraph from the NCAA on transfers....I guess the key is knowing the ACC rules for womens' basketball....

Intraconference Transfer Rules
Many conferences have additional rules beyond the NCAA’s releases and residency requirements if you transfer from one conference school to another. Some require you to sit out two years, other require you to sit out one year but also lose that season of competition (as opposed to redshirting). Some conferences even prohibit athletes from receiving an athletic scholarship or being eligible at all if they transfer within the conference. Who the rules apply to are also different depending on the conference. Some conferences have different rules for football or men’s and women’s basketball, and some intraconference transfer rules do not apply to walk-ons. Be sure you know what rules apply to you if you plan to transfer within a conference because these rules often cannot be waived and have no exceptions. You will need to talk to your athletic department directly to get answers on your conference transfer rules.

Reaction Score
Its been time to get a new coach. This was the wake up call. The AD needs to step up.

Reaction Score
Why unfortunately? If you wanted to be a pro is there anything about Duke's performance or trajectory that is encouraging. That's for Azura. Salvadores: Well, she would have the same problem watching her admitted pro potential go fizzle over a couple more years of the chaos inspired by Coach Phew.
Unfortunate in the respect that the University's best players feel that their future as basketball players lie in a different direction than Duke. I consider it unfortunate that, evidently, Duke is "stuck" with JPM for another 3 years.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Unfortunate in the respect that the University's best players feel that their future as basketball players lie in a different direction than Duke. I consider it unfortunate that, evidently, Duke is "stuck" with JPM for another 3 years.

It's not like the Admin. didn't see it coming and do you think in their heart of hearts they give a damn? It will be interesting to see what Duke games, if any, appear on nat'l TV next year. Could have been in one, but, wait... they dropped that program from their schedule a while ago. ;)

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Azurá Stevens and Angela Salvadores are leaving the Duke program. Stevens will transfer; Salvadores is going to play professional basketball.
Does not surprise at all.

Reaction Score
I think Stevens is headed to Baylor.........they don't have enough height on that team.......April Fools!!!!!

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Wait for it wait for it ... It being the part where Cam jumps in and drops jems about how/where/why coach JPM has underachieved. @CamrnCrz1974, your on!

As requested... :)

Comparing predecessor Gail Goestenkors' last seven years at Duke with Joanne P. McCallie's eight-plus years (including this year) at Duke produces the following:

Overall record:
Goestenkors: 220-25 (89.79 percent)
McCallie: 243-64 (79.15 percent)

ACC record:
Goestenkors: 98-8 (92.45 percent)
McCallie: 107-30 (78.10 percent)

NCAA record:
Goestenkors: 23-7 (one NCAA runner-up, three Final Fours, five years at least making the Elite eight, all seven years at least making the Sweet 16)
McCallie: 18-8 (zero Final Fours, four Elite Eights, six years at least making the Sweet 16, two second round losses)

Against Top 5 Opponents:
Goestenkors: 14-14 (50.00 percent)
McCallie: 7-28 (20.00 percent)

Against Top 10 Opponents:
Goestenkors: 25-14 (64.10 percent)
McCallie: 19-36 (34.545 percent)

Against Ranked Opponents:
Goestenkors: 60-20 (80.00 percent)
McCallie: 58-49 (54.21 percent)

Against UConn:
Goestenkors: 2-1 (2-2 for her career; 2-1 against UConn over her last seven years; both wins in the State of Connecticut)
McCallie: 0-8 (and only one loss was less than 22 points, and that was by 16 points)

Against Tennessee:
Goestenkors: 4-3 (5-4 for her career; 4-3 against Tennessee over her last seven years)
McCallie: 1-1

Against Tennessee under Coach G, Duke won twice in Knoxville. And though it was not in the time frame discussed above, Duke defeated three-time defending national champion Tennessee in 1999 to reach the Final Four, ending the career of Chamique Holdsclaw and ending the seasons of Semeka Randall and Tamika Catchings.

Against UConn under Coach P, Duke has scored over 52 points in only one of those eight games, while scoring in the 40s in five of the eight. Duke has allowed between 74 and 87 points in seven of the eight games. Duke has lost those eight games by an average of 29 points, notwithstanding the fact that Duke was ranked in the Top 10 for every single one of those games (and in the Top 5 for four of the eight).

What was Coach P's solution to UConn? She decided to take the Huskies off the schedule!

As for recruiting, here is the list of Duke's McDonald's All-Americans from 2010 through 2014:
2014 - Sierra Calhoun, Lyneé Belton
2013 - Oderah Chidom, Kendall Cooper, Rebecca Greenwell
2012 - Alexis Jones, Sierra Moore
2011 - Amber Henson, Elizabeth Williams
2010 - Chelsea Gray, Richa Jackson, Haley Peters

Out of 120 MCDAAs from 2010-2014, 12 have gone to Duke - 10 percent.
*Note that this does not include players who were named Parade All-Americans or WBCA All-Americans.

Coach P inherited a roster with eight high school All-Americans (MCDAA) - Wanisha Smith, Abby Waner, Carrem Gay, Krystal Thomas, Jasmine Thomas, Joy Cheek, Bridgette Mitchell.

Since McCallie took over, Duke has had at least five recruiting classes (counting 2015) ranked #1 or #2. McCallie has led her teams to four Elite Eights in eight-plus seasons. In two of those Elite Eight games, her teams scored in the 40s; three of the losses were by 11+ points. By contrast, Duke made the Final Four four times in the ten previous years under her predecessor, while Duke has zero Final Four appearances during Coach P's tenure.

Since Coach P took over for the 2007-2008 season, here is the list of schools to have made the Final Four:

Multiple Appearances in the Final Four (since the fall of 2007)
- UConn (2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016)
- Notre Dame (2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015)
- Stanford (2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014)
- Louisville (2009, 2013)
- Oklahoma (2009, 2010)
- Maryland (2014, 2015)
- Baylor (2010, 2012)
- LSU (2007, 2008)

Single Appearances in the Final Four (since the fall of 2007)
- South Carolina (2015)
- California (2013)
- Texas A&M (2011)
- Tennessee (2008)
- LSU (2008)
- Washingotn (2016)
- Syracuse (2016)
- Oregon State (2016)

The overwhelming majority of these schools have had fewer McDonald's All Americans than Duke has had. In fact, some of these schools had either zero MCDAA players or only one such player. Yet their respective results have been significantly better.

With the elite talent being brought in, one would expect the results on a national stage to be better, even significantly better. And the overall records against Top 10 and Top 5 teams are frightening, to say the least (and even worse when factoring in the talent).

Now, injuries have certainly played their parts in recent years (2013-2014 and this year especially). But injuries are just used as excuses. Three of the past eight MCDAA players at Duke have transferred, which is a concern. This season, Duke lost to Wake Forest (after 44 straight wins) and to Georgia Tech in Cameron (last time was 22 years ago). Duke had more MCDAA players and more elite talent on their respective rosters. Both Wake and Georgia Tech lost their best players (Dearica Hamby and Kaela Davis, respectively). And both games demonstrate a Duke coach who is willing to do more with less (in terms of talent), who will not make adjustments, and who puts a product on the floor that very few people want to watch.

And the coaching staff turnover has been an area of concern, especially when you consider their respective destinations:
  • Samantha Williams (Assistant Coach, Louisville)
  • Joy Cheek (Assistant Coach, Ohio State)
  • Shannon Perry (Assistant Coach, UCLA)
  • Trisha Stafford-Odom (Assistant Coach, UNC)
  • Candice Jackson (Head Coach, College of Charleston)

Five African-American female assistant coaches have left in eight-plus years, but only one left for a head coaching position. And one was a former McCallie player at Duke who chose to take a lateral position at a school to which she had zero ties, rather than enduring Coach P. If Al Brown is gone as an assistant coach after this year as well, that would make six assistant coaches in nine seasons. And this is not counting the departures of Lauren Rice, Robert Brickey, etc.

Our once proud program has gone from national title contender and perennial Final Four participant to a national punchline.

Reaction Score
Duke is "stuck" with JPM for another 3 years.
perhaps not. At a certain point a coach's contract needs to get renewed otherwise it hurts recruiting, as players rightfully wonder if the coach will still be there. I would think Duke would part ways with her at least a year early. But right now, 3 years out, it may be too expensive.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I forgot Samarie Walker as a meaningful recruit who left UConn. That was a starnge one, wasn't it? Was left off the travel roster, had academic problems, told Auriemma that she didn't want to go into a game when called. Strange. Then takes off for Kentucky. Stayed, but didn't seem to fulfill her potential.

Reaction Score
Thanks Cam.

One nitpick as someone who presents data for a living: using decimal places here is not needed and only distracts from/clutters the compelling numbers you have. Just a pet peeve of mine. :)

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
In a related story to the Duke departures Greyhound today announced they are dropping sponsorship of Duke WBB. Marketing manager Wyle E. Dogg stated there is no reason to sponsor Duke anymore as there is nobody left to throw under the bus.:eek:

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Everyone knows that Duke woman's basketball has been in fretful
The transfers today merely confirm it.
I don't know how JPM can avoid resigning or being dismissed.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Everyone knows that Duke woman's basketball has been in fretful
The transfers today merely confirm it.
I don't know how JPM can avoid resigning or being dismissed.

Why, she can hide behind parity.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
It's transfer season ladies and gents.... Can't you just smell the indecision and uncertainty in the proverbial WCBB air. It is just getting started... there WILL be more. Breath deep everyone it ain't over just yet.

Unfortunately, I fear you are correct. After the NCAA tourney is over, we'll no doubt see other players defect or go over the wall in the days and weeks to come. I'm guessing Stevens can go just about anywhere she wants to. Most coaches of top ranked programs would love to have her. She and her parents probably already secured an offer from another program, but are not ready to announce it yet. My guess she'll want to enroll in summer school at her new destination, so she'll probably announce her decision in the next 60 days.

With all of the recent defections at Duke, one has got to wonder if theses are troubling times in Camelot. It sure looks that way. :eek:

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
If McCallie is canned she could probably get the job at Tennessee.

I just had a great idea!

Many, many years ago ('40's? '50's?) two major league baseball teams actually traded managers in mid-season! IIRC GM "Trader Frank" Lane helped orchestrate this bizarre transaction and Bucky Harris was one of the managers who got traded.

Inspired by this precedent, time for the AD's at Duke and Tennessee to swap CHW for Coach P and vice versa. Grab some headlines! Stir up the fan bases!:D

What the hell, as Bob Dylan said: "When you've goot nothin', you've got nothin' to lose!"

Reaction Score
I fully expect Stevens to go somewhere most of us aren't expecting...

Maybe a Cal or Michigan.. Cal based on her friendship with Anigwe.. Michigan because of Barnes-Arrico, her former coach.

Transfer season has not been kind to my Gamecocks this year.. but something about it gets my excitement levels up anyway. I just hope we've lost everybody we're going to lose.
It's early - they have to transfer OUT before they transfer IN :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro