Duke Postgame Thread | The Boneyard

Duke Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Duke game:
  • Happy Thanksgiving fellow Boneyarders! A shorthanded Husky team faced their 3rd straight test against a very good P5 program, that is once again loaded with transfers. Duke has no less than 11 transfers on their roster, to go along with 6 players recruited out of HS.
  • Just like Vic Schaefer & Wes Moore, Kara Lawson is trying to get a bunch of talented individuals to play together as a team. It’s a difficult task, particularly early in the season, against a team like UConn that requires opponents to be at their very best in order to compete against the Huskies.
  • UConn is clearly committed to pushing the ball up the court on offense this season. The Huskies are running off turnovers, missed shots and even made shots. All this running is being orchestrated by Nika, the nation’s leader in assists, who dropped another 10 dimes tonight.
  • The more I watch Lou play, the more impressed I am with her. She has a way of finding space at the arc, getting to the midrange or taking it to the basket and knocking down BIG SHOT after BIG SHOT. With all the attention that opposing teams will direct towards Azzi, Lou is primed to have a really, really big year for the Huskies.
  • If Aaliyah can consistently knock down the face up jumper, like she did tonight, UConn is a much more difficult team to defend.
  • Looking forward to UConn vs Iowa Sunday, assuming the Hawkeyes get by the Beavers.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Solid game!!! Sort of what you'd expect after being full from Thanksgiving.

Random observation - in Q1 almost every layup attempted by UCONN was hacked by a Duke player and no call. I thought the reffing was pretty bad at that point.

Pretty solid beating in every quarter. Was it a thing of beauty? No. but the 2 POG's had to be Lou and Nika, altho Aaliya had a nice double double. Her faceup game and FT shooting continues to impress. But that Lou - she is a treasure.

Really solid defense by UCONN. Duke averages about three 3's made a game and they got that in Q1. The final MOV could have been worse. Duke plays hard and is trending in the right direction.

Azzi took too few shots IMHO, as she's so efficient - i want her (selfishly) to take about 20 shots per game. As much as they try to defend her, it seems like she can get open whenever she wants, as they say.

Pretty solid game by our bench too. Ayanna finding her way - still too many fouls, but a bundle of energy. And Caroline is improving, even if just little bits at a time.

Was really rooting for Amari to get in - and she really put up some box score numbers. 2 TOs, 2 fouls, 0-2 from the FT line. Doing zero to show she deserves more PT.

Overall a nice game following a travel day and layoff for Thanksgiving. Not a masterpiece, but great game to get rolling again, and GREAT seeing the original CD on the bench!!

Last edited:

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Duke proved Geno right yet again. The Blue Devils are loaded with transfer talent that have not had a chance to play together.

Duke was so afraid of the UCONN break that rarely crashed for offensive rebounds.

Ayanna Patterson has to be frustrated with the fouls called against her. Some she deserves. Most are tick-tack.

A huge bonus for Azzi to have an “off” shooting night (for Azzi) and still win comfortably.

Geno is doing a great job gradually increasing Caroline’s minutes. She is still rusty though.

Ines plays with confidence. Is it silly to think she eventually will get an increase in minutes?

I have not seen a hint of selfish play in three games. No wonder Geno loves this team.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Duke proved Geno right yet again. The Blue Devils are loaded with transfer talent that have not had a chance to play together.

Duke was so afraid of the UCONN break that rarely crashed for offensive rebounds.

Ayanna Patterson has to be frustrated with the fouls called against her. Some she deserves. Most are tick-tack.

A huge bonus for Azzi to have an “off” shooting night (for Azzi) and still win comfortably.

Geno is doing a great job gradually increasing Caroline’s minutes. She is still rusty though.

Ines plays with confidence. Is it silly to think she eventually will get an increase in minutes?

I have not seen a hint of selfish play in three games. No wonder Geno loves this team.
I swear I saw Ayanna get called for a foul as she was running towards a player but not touching her.

Lou is channeling Evina with the calming influence. Kid is awesome.

Reaction Score
Way to go, AE!! Hitting jumpers at the arc opens up the floor. Lou and Azzi will get even better looks coming off screens. It helps that they did a very good job tonight hitting their free throws.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
When Lou was interviewed post game on the sidelines, I loved what she said. When asked what is letting her play so well, she said she did not like how she came out in the 1st half of the last game. Just shoot and if it goes in, it goes in.

Reaction Score
There are NO out of shape UCONN players. But Caroline appears to be out of basketball shape, especially the UCONN fast paced style of basketball. Geno gave her extra minutes tonight & she will steadily find her game.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
UConn looks really good. However in the second half Duke held Azzi under control. We will need Caroline to get back to herself soon. Funny Geno said we have 60 pts on the bench and may I add another 60pts coming in next season.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Talk about a workman like win. Consistantly played their game, ran the offense, hit the open player for points. Defense making life miserable for opponents and controlling the boards.

Lou with 23. Aaliyah with another double/ double. Nika with 10 more assists.

Ayanna and Caroline looking better.

This team is a lot of fun to watch.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
I now really see why so many UCONN fans praise Nika.

The 1st quarter was just a back and forth session with neither team taking charge. Then, with about 2 minutes to go, Nika exploded. After driving viciously for a layup, she then just took over. Not only with her physical play, but vocally too, and the rest of the team just perked up with her.

Reaction Score
There are NO out of shape UCONN players. But Caroline appears to be out of basketball shape, especially the UCONN fast paced style of basketball. Geno gave her extra minutes tonight & she will steadily find her game.
Have a little patience. Caroline will shape up and be the scorer she has shown that she can be. I love everything about her and she will be the Caroline she was last year. GO CAROLINE! GO HUSKIES!!!

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I now really see why so many UCONN fans praise Nika.

The 1st quarter was just a back and forth session with neither team taking charge. Then, with about 2 minutes to go, Nika exploded. After driving viciously for a layup, she then just took over. Not only with her physical play, but vocally too, and the rest of the team just perked up with her.
And ZERO fouls despite playing probably 35 minutes. Ayanna should take note of the fact that it's possible to control one's foul-proneness without sacrificing aggressive play.

Reaction Score
Good points from everyone.
It seems that every player has made major improvements from a year ago, and without the seniors from last year, they now know its their time now.
Lou was not a MAAC player of the year,for no reason , and is the main reason we are not missing Paige as much. ( Still missing her though)
Nika has totally changed how we are playing by moving the ball up the floor so fast and not letting the defenses set up.

Reaction Score
Have a little patience. Caroline will shape up and be the scorer she has shown that she can be. I love everything about her and she will be the Caroline she was last year. GO CAROLINE! GO HUSKIES!!!
LOL....I am being patient. I was praising Geno for giving her minutes to get her on her game. Just a matter of time before we see Caroline excel again

Reaction Score
I don't wish to speak for others, but I seriously doubt most would have imagined have efficient and well oiled UConn looks after the 4th game of the season. Nike, AE and Azzi have amped up their games. Not only are they taking off on the court, they look quicker, stronger and look like they could play back-to-back games. You can certainly add Aubrey in the conversation as well. She looks like she never had a back issue.

Prior to the season beginning, Geno kept mentioning how seamlessly Lou fit into the UConn system. She has been a revelation and she will ride shot gun with Azzi all season long.

It is great to see Caroline get more playing time. Obviously, she's a bit rusty and with the way the team is performing so far, Geno rightfully is taking his time orienting her back into the mix.

This is fun, unselfish team to watch and they seem to have the vintage UConn uptempo style to match.

Let's hope Iowa wins in the nitecap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44