Duke Postgame Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Duke Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It’s a small sample size but I thought Ines played well in her limited minutes. I really want her to do well so she can let Nika get some rest. I hope Ines is a quick learner
Ines is smooth & skilled. I also hope she gets playing time. Btw, she is big news in the Azores, Portugal playing at Uconn.

Reaction Score
How about Nika's game today. Drove to the basket and scored or was fouled. went 4 for 4 from the line. 10 assists with 1 turnover. No fouls. Led team in minutes and +/-, tied for steals and tied for second most rebounds. Her sideline out of bounds steal was badass and she played the whole game with both intensity and control! BTW her season a/to is now 4.55

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I had the feeling that these refs were making up fouls against us, as Nan sort of alluded to. It seems to me that as soon as Ayanna gets on the floor, the refs have a bet between them on who will be the first to call a foul on her.
And something else got me wondering about...how long has it been since the powers that be outlawed hand checks? Were the current players ever allowed to to this? If not, where are they picking it up from? (just a sudden pet peeve.)

To the game, a good win against a pesky team. I was kinda disappointed in the final minutes. Nobody seemed like they wanted to take charge and try to score and poor Amari was 0 for 2 on the foul line, 2 PFs and 2 TOs. She needs to take advantage of her time on the floor.

Good to see Caroline on the floor.

I am happy and looking forward to @MJL243 posting the replay on his channel so that I can enjoy the game tomorrow.
Amari. Stat Stuffer. :oops:

Reaction Score
Duke proved Geno right yet again. The Blue Devils are loaded with transfer talent that have not had a chance to play together.

Duke was so afraid of the UCONN break that rarely crashed for offensive rebounds.

Ayanna Patterson has to be frustrated with the fouls called against her. Some she deserves. Most are tick-tack.

A huge bonus for Azzi to have an “off” shooting night (for Azzi) and still win comfortably.

Geno is doing a great job gradually increasing Caroline’s minutes. She is still rusty though.

Ines plays with confidence. Is it silly to think she eventually will get an increase in minutes?

I have not seen a hint of selfish play in three games. No wonder Geno loves this team.
I think Ines is a long ways away from confidently leading this team at the point. She seems to have one move; go really fast and then pull up and see what's what. But I don't see her ( yet ) as a confident dribbler with both hands and behind the back. Nor have w witnessed any slick passing skills. Aubrey was in a bit of a reluctant funk again today. She keeps telling herself that shooting ( other than lay-ins) is not an option. Her indecisiveness causes turnovers. She also blew about 4 lay-ups today. Not her best showing. Ayanna looks good on foul shots. Would love to see her break free for a 12-14 footer ( or a three for the matter ). It is possible that De Berry just isn't very good. Hate to think this, but she does little ( good ) to impress. Lou was sizzling today. And everyone else did their jobs well.

Reaction Score
I can't help wondering what on earth is going on at Ore St. I mean, between Texas and Duke we faced almost 13' of post player in Taylor Jones and Kennedy Brown who transferred out of Ore St. But the very next season Scott Pruitt has an answer and the recruiting there doesn't miss a beat, and this year they have Jelena Mitrovich and Reagan Beers, who probably total 13'4".

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Duke game:
  • Happy Thanksgiving fellow Boneyarders! A shorthanded Husky team faced their 3rd straight test against a very good P5 program, that is once again loaded with transfers. Duke has no less than 11 transfers on their roster, to go along with 6 players recruited out of HS.
  • Just like Vic Schaefer & Wes Moore, Kara Lawson is trying to get a bunch of talented individuals to play together as a team. It’s a difficult task, particularly early in the season, against a team like UConn that requires opponents to be at their very best in order to compete against the Huskies.
  • UConn is clearly committed to pushing the ball up the court on offense this season. The Huskies are running off turnovers, missed shots and even made shots. All this running is being orchestrated by Nika, the nation’s leader in assists, who dropped another 10 dimes tonight.
  • The more I watch Lou play, the more impressed I am with her. She has a way of finding space at the arc, getting to the midrange or taking it to the basket and knocking down BIG SHOT after BIG SHOT. With all the attention that opposing teams will direct towards Azzi, Lou is primed to have a really, really big year for the Huskies.
  • If Aaliyah can consistently knock down the face up jumper, like she did tonight, UConn is a much more difficult team to defend.
  • Looking forward to UConn vs Iowa Sunday, assuming the Hawkeyes get by the Beavers.
Nika is really making it look easy.
This summer we were wondering if Lou could raise her game to play at this "elite" level. I think that as been answered and can be put to bed forever. Lou can play at this level. Lou will be the ""quiet" assassin for us this year. Teams will be focused on stopping Azzi, and rightly so. While their attention is drawn to Azzi, Lou will be draining 3's left, right and center. Heh heh heh. :D
I really liked what I was seeing from Aaliyah tonight. She's going to get THAT shot all season long, whenever she wants it.
We missed a lot of bunnies in the 1st quarter. No fouls called. This was the game I expected from Duke. I wasn't impressed with their 5-0 record coming in after looking at who they played. UConn was their first real test. Now they know what they have to work on, and how far they have to rise the level of their play to really compete with top 10 programs. IMO they're still 2 years away from being a legit contender. I feel that Kara will get them there. Players like her and want to play for her. Lots of things to like about Duke University.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If Edwards can make that shot consistently this season I don’t think there is a team that could beat us in a 5 game series this season. Unfortunately college isn’t about series but that is a game changing jump shot.

Reaction Score
That was a gritty game even though we got eventual separation. We really miss Dorka and the fact that we have been demonstratively victorious two games in a row against good teams is very heartening.

I think Ayanna has to freeze her arms in the air and not move her lower body. Whenever arms are flailing, they call a foul no matter what. Azzi was not happy with her game and the only way to overcome that kind of defense on her is constant motion, picks, and moves off the bounce. Once she scores off the dribble they have to lay off a step and that opens the 3. It's a tough thing to get used to and I am glad it happened here because she will figure it out. She will look at film and they will develop a strategy for it.

The problem for everyone is that if you stop Azzi you still have to deal with everyone else and especially now Lou. She had a great game. Aaliyah was tremendous in the second half, any other description would be an understatement. Aubrey was nervous with the ball tonight and her timing seemed a little off but she is such a troublemaker for an opposing team all the time. She is never just resting in one place. My favorite move was that put back when she crashed the boards from the 3 point line. Her defense was non pareil as usual.

CD is getting her sea legs back gradually. They will be here soon. We will just be a royal pain to defend once that happens.

Nika had 10 assists but my favorite was the back screen foul on the Duke player and her usual "what did I do ?" look. It would have been a penalty in the NFL. Just pure toughness. What a player she has become.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm getting spoiled. We beat a name-brand school by 28 and I'm not fully satisfied.

Nika is likely still leading the nation in assists. The announcers raved about her--what a change! Lou is still a bucket. I had little doubt that she would help on the offensive end. Azzi was efficient, but not aggressive. She draws the entire defense. Liya had 15 and 11. I'll take that pretty much every night. Aubrey looked solid. Yanna is gradually improving, and Caroline is getting the rust off. I hope Dorka is back before the N.D. game. I love the way the team plays, even if we were a bit ragged at times.

Reaction Score
I can't believe that Amari was at one point the #1 ranked player in her high school recruiting class if I remember correctly.
Actually Azzi was. Amari was 3 on Prospects Nation an 15 on Hoop Gurlz.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I'm getting spoiled. We beat a name-brand school by 28 and I'm not fully satisfied.

Nika is likely still leading the nation in assists. The announcers raved about her--what a change! Lou is still a bucket. I had little doubt that she would help on the offensive end. Azzi was efficient, but not aggressive. She draws the entire defense. Liya had 15 and 11. I'll take that pretty much every night. Aubrey looked solid. Yanna is gradually improving, and Caroline is getting the rust off. I hope Dorka is back before the N.D. game. I love the way the team plays, even if we were a bit ragged at times.
Aaliyah had 17 & 11

8ADBE324-0914-44C2-A219-CBE30D495B8C.jpeg

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
For the season, we are shooting 52/40/77. I'd like to see the FT number improve a little, but those are solid numbers. The opponents are shooting 36/29/69. I like the differentials.

Azzi is at 53/41/100. I think she can improve the first 2 stats a little. Lou is at 49/47/90. She's a bucket!

Reaction Score
For the season, we are shooting 52/40/77. I'd like to see the FT number improve a little, but those are solid numbers. The opponents are shooting 36/29/69. I like the differentials.

Azzi is at 53/41/100. I think she can improve the first 2 stats a little. Lou is at 49/47/90. She's a bucket!
I think she can improve all three! She is AZZI after all.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
It seems like several posters have wished that Lou could have came to UConn as a freshman. . . :mad:

I'm thinking that one of the "ingredients" that's making Lou so important now that she's here is in big part because of how hard she had to work and how unlikely for everything to fall into place for her to be here now.

Lack of, arrogance, attitude, entitlement. I think Lou knows what a gift she has been given to be not just a part of this team but getting to determine what her role on the team will be.

Dang. Reality often IS more fun than fiction.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It seems like several posters have wished that Lou could have came to UConn as a freshman. . . :mad:

I'm thinking that one of the "ingredients" that's making Lou so important now that she's here is in big part because of how hard she had to work and how unlikely for everything to fall into place for her to be here now.

Lack of, arrogance, attitude, entitlement. I think Lou knows what a gift she has been given to be not just a part of this team but getting to determine what her role on the team will be.

Dang. Reality often IS more fun than fiction.
The one thing Lou would have been unlikely to become at UConn is the “goto scorer,” which is exactly what she was at Fairfield. As a result, Lou has an agressive scorer’s mentality, giving the Huskies two goto scorers with Azzi & Lou on the court together.

Reaction Score
The one thing Lou would have been unlikely to become at UConn is the “goto scorer,” which is exactly what she was at Fairfield. As a result, Lou has an agressive scorer’s mentality, giving the Huskies two goto scorers with Azzi & Lou on the court together.

I actually think that Lou has more of a scorer mentality than even Azzi.

Reaction Score
Actually Azzi was. Amari was 3 on Prospects Nation an 15 on Hoop Gurlz.

I said at one point, not in the final ranking. I could swear I remember seeing an interview with SNY or some outfit where they asked her at the time how it feels to become the #1 ranked recruit at that moment.

I found the interview... it actually said she was #2 overall at that time and #1 in her position. Hopefully, Amari will discover something to validate those rankings.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
You said it! She is a fantastic player and it is amazing how quick she has fit in with the Uconn system. Like she has been there for years. Congratulation LOU. So glad you chose us and we really are glad you are here. Thank You!
I too am pleased, but not that much surprised. She's 24, and has 4 full years of D1 basketball experience under her belt. If she hasn't got it by now, she never will. That's why she's cool under pressure. She's been there and done that.

Lou is a gamer, a go-to player. I wish that Lou could have spent more time with us, but it was not in the cards. She came to us at the right time. She was not the player 4 years ago she is now.

She developed fast at a mid-major program that facilitated her growth and development. She would not have gotten the minutes here as a freshman that she did at Fairfield. She's at the right place at the right time. The basketball gods are smiling on her. To say that we are happy to have her is a gross understatement. Geno has said many times this summer how glad he was to have Lou. She came to UConn to dot her i's, cross her t's and polish up her game, cleaning up the little things she needs to - to make herself attractive to GM's and coaches in the WNBA and teams overseas.

We'll being playing Iowa Sunday. Oregon State peed in the bed only scoring 22 points in the second half, losing to the Hawkeyes 73-59. Clark had 28/9/8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom