Duke launches investigation into possible player mistreatment | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Duke launches investigation into possible player mistreatment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Stevens is all that, a bag of chips,a box of fries,a diet coke and a hot fudge sundae.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and a toothpick. Don't forget the toothpick! :D

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
A lot of speculation going on here.

I would think if Duke is conducting an internal investigation of mistreatment of players and coaches, there is something very serious going on. We have just seen Connie Yori leave Nebraska for what may be similar behavior.

I do not think we will be hearing anything from Duke or the athletic department until their investigation is done. And that is as it should be.

No matter how this turns out, none of this is good for Duke or WCBB.

wes33

Revels in Blue Devils
Reaction Score
Be nice to see some concern for our game other than which players might be a good fit here.
I have advocated coach P ouster for some time, its sad for all who love our sport.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I wish there were more details to this story.

Gate81

'Gate Grad Likes Cardinal & UConn Best
Reaction Score
Agree with earlier post-ers here: it's all about $. Once they perform investigation and have official findings, presumably they'll save lots of money on her exit. Perhaps even fire her with no payment ("for cause").

The real shame is not necessarily FOR the Duke program but that it took them SO long to get there, and allowed the program to roll downhill and lose great players for so long. Have to feel badly also for the players like Greenwell who have stuck it out but (1) they will get a Duke degree and (2) they have a high probability of getting a much better coach soon -- if this "investigation" takes less than 6 months!

Hope for sake of Pac-12 schools that Chidom heads back East. She and Natalie Romeo could be two unexpected treats.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I wonder if Duke's AD Kevin White will take a hit on this? There was enough to warrant an investigation before he gave her a raise and another 5 (?) year contract.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
How sad. I am glad that they are investigating the allegations. If it turns out that McCallie is at fault, well I hear this guy is available:
tyler-summitt-040716-ap-ftrjpg_56b940syekei159g09bbiena5.jpg

Rebound!​

Reaction Score
Well, this is one way to avoid having to buy out a big contract when you want to get rid of a coach. One way or another, highly unlikely that JPM is back next season. Look for some kind of negotiated settlement.

Let's be honest... a coach that's winning big can get by with some of her crap.... but when you don't make the Tourney, players and coaches are leaving, recruiting is tanking, and the fans are on the warpath... not so much.
I'm not a believer than ANY Coach, men or women, should find it necessary to berate, belittle, swear, curse, or destroy ones mental well being to achieve greatness. Having said that there is a fine line between abuse and cajoling, getting better performances. But as one writer above has said ---when you are successful Administrations (and I assume the NCAA) will not take a serious view of comments by players

Reaction Score
I'm not a believer than ANY Coach, men or women, should find it necessary to berate, belittle, swear, curse, or destroy ones mental well being to achieve greatness. Having said that there is a fine line between abuse and cajoling, getting better performances. But as one writer above has said ---when you are successful Administrations (and I assume the NCAA) will not take a serious view of comments by players
That is demonstrably false. Nebraska women's basketball has been quite successful under Connie Yori. Once again, you are riding your hobby horse. A thinly veiled shot at Geno for his use of colorful language and sarcasm.

Reaction Score
Think this issue was raised several years ago but can't remember the name of the player(s). Surprised it has taken this long to correct. Was Duke waiting to see if she could win something before bringing an investigation ?

Remembering names, events, actions, words, are not about AGE --it's about how each got into the Memory bank.
Along with interest and desire at the moment. Son!!!
What is interesting is that there is an "Investigation" so far no real proof, lots of ASSUMPTIONS, Speculation,
it would appear JMP is being TRASHED without specific, legalized proof, sometime circumstantial "evidence" proves faulty. America where you are guilty until you prove your self not guilty (Innocent is a whole other ball game) . --only on TV are you innocent until proven guilty.

Reaction Score
That is demonstrably false. Nebraska women's basketball has been quite successful under Connie Yori. Once again, you are riding your hobby horse. A thinly veiled shot at Geno for his use of colorful language and sarcasm.
If I meant Geno I would have said Geno---Are you harboring some dislike of the Geno methods???? Hmmm
Did I mention Yori or Nebraska--?? Do you have some specifics? BTW--my horse is a Morgan--you can keep on rocking on your horse!! Read what I write--no sacrasm By definition--. Please look up the definition of words before you use words too big for your vocabulary.. (That is sarcasm!!)

Reaction Score
There is a big difference between an internal investigation finding player mistreatment and Duke actually having legal standing to terminate for cause in a way that would stand up in a law court - it might reduce the price of a buy-out, but chances are they would still be paying a sizable chunk of change if they chose to terminate.
Also there is a big difference between an allegation and a charge--. What one kid sees as abuse --another may see as motivation--psychological abuse/ mental abuse --tough to prove especially in the sports arena.

Reaction Score
What is false--what I believe?? Do I need your permission before I can believe something?? I still think you have some problems with Geno--HMMMM???? Now you think you have the power of thought control---maybe you need a visit to your local medical/mental facility!!!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Remembering names, events, actions, words, are not about AGE --it's about how each got into the Memory bank.
Along with interest and desire at the moment. Son!!!
What is interesting is that there is an "Investigation" so far no real proof, lots of ASSUMPTIONS, Speculation,
it would appear JMP is being TRASHED without specific, legalized proof, sometime circumstantial "evidence" proves faulty. America where you are guilty until you prove your self not guilty (Innocent is a whole other ball game) . --only on TV are you innocent until proven guilty.
It's a fan forum, not a court of law.

Reaction Score
Hey I am 81 years old and lucky I can remember that much. Probably 4-5 years ago, maybe a little longer, maybe not. Sorry.

UC: Get OUT! I thought you were just a pup. At least, I think I thought that - can't remember for sure. Keep smilin and stay well,

Reaction Score
Are you practicing for troll day? Jeez....

Reaction Score
Remembering names, events, actions, words, are not about AGE --it's about how each got into the Memory bank..
Can't find on line one of my favorite New Yorker cartoons, addressing this issue, that if you learn something new, you must "replace it" (forget) something else. A guy walks out of a theater and reads the headlines of a trashy newspaper, and exclaims: "Oh my god! I've just lost all my knowledge of Renaissance art!".

Reaction Score
What is false--what I believe?? Do I need your permission before I can believe something?? I still think you have some problems with Geno--HMMMM???? Now you think you have the power of thought control---maybe you need a visit to your local medical/mental facility!!!
You stated that "when you are successful Administrations (and I assume the NCAA) will not take a serious view of comments by players". If that were true, Connie Yori would still be coaching at Nebraska.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Duke University Athletics Statement on the Women’s Basketball Program

“The welfare and success of our student-athletes are among Duke’s highest priorities. To that end, we are in the process of conducting an evaluation of the Duke women’s basketball program. This effort is led by a Duke human resources professional outside the Athletics Department. Coach McCallie is aware of the evaluation and eager to assist. We look forward to hearing the insights of those involved in the program and any recommendations that may result from this evaluation."

Reaction Score
This effort is led by a Duke human resources professional outside the Athletics Department
Uh-oh! the scariest phrase in the English language. She is in very deep, well, you know that thread about your favorite pet?

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
How sad. I am glad that they are investigating the allegations. If it turns out that McCallie is at fault, well I hear this guy is available:
tyler-summitt-040716-ap-ftrjpg_56b940syekei159g09bbiena5.jpg

Rebound!​
You're terrible Murial!!

Reaction Score
Duke University Athletics Statement on the Women’s Basketball Program

“The welfare and success of our student-athletes are among Duke’s highest priorities. To that end, we are in the process of conducting an evaluation of the Duke women’s basketball program. This effort is led by a Duke human resources professional outside the Athletics Department. Coach McCallie is aware of the evaluation and eager to assist. We look forward to hearing the insights of those involved in the program and any recommendations that may result from this evaluation."
An internal investigation by the Duke administration for the welfare of their student athletes. What laugh!
Does anyone remember the Duke investigation of the men's lacrosse team. The admin threw the entire team including their coach under the bus and ruined the life of several of their players in the name of political correctness. One of the most unethical and despicable actions by a college administration in the history of college athletics. Guilty until proven innocent---even proof of innocence wasn't enough for an administration bound and determined to have a lynching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom