Duke Considers (and Hires) Kara Lawson for HC [merged thread] | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Duke Considers (and Hires) Kara Lawson for HC [merged thread]

Reaction Score
I had no idea you were responding to another poster's comment. Your post was a little hard to understand. Thanks for the clarification. Most of us (UConn fans) are rational fair minded folk. Most of us don't hate anyone. There are 2 programs that a group (not all) of us do not like. Tennessee and Notre Dame. Tennessee because of the incident of 2007 that Pat Summitt initiated. Notre Dame because of many of them hate and despise Geno, his players and it's fans. You attack my coach/players, you attack me. We're not going to kiss their ass or their rings. They don't like us, we don't like them. End of story. That will probably never change.
I can only speak for myself, but I know there are many others who also already intensely disliked Pat and Tennessee long before "the incident", and intensely disliked Notre Dame for their unjustified arrogance long before we even heard of WBB. Just sayin'

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I can only speak for myself, but I know there are many others who also already intensely disliked Pat and Tennessee long before "the incident", and intensely disliked Notre Dame for their unjustified arrogance long before we even heard of WBB. Just sayin'

My personal dislike for ND goes all the way back to the mid-60's. Their football program and it's fans. I'd walk through the "Tail Gate Party" area of the parking lot at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum on game day of a USC/ND game. Lots of ND fans there. You would not believe some of the antagonistic and disrespectful things (jeers) about USC that could be heard by walking through their section of the parking lot. Arrogance of a level you would not believe. It was obvious they looked down their noses at us, and acted like they were the chosen ones. I was a teenager at the time, but I remember it like it was yesterday. :mad:

Some of the things yelled by their fans in the stands were just as bad, especially when they were on their 6th/7th beer, and their team was kicking our a**. The only retaliation I can remember is an occasional beer thrown in their direction. :D That was 55 years ago, nothing has changed. Muffet feeling that she had the need and the right to go off on Geno in a pregame presser several years ago for all of the press to hear, is permanently etched in my brain. I'm glad she stepped down. ND fans don't hate UConn anymore than they hate Troy. They've hated us a lot longer. UConn is a "Johnny-come-lately". I can only imagine the jeers, "cat-calls" and other offensive language directed at Geno and his team when they go to South Bend. Kicker, this is one area of concern we are in total agreement on.

Disclaimer - I have absolutely no problems with the ND and Tennessee fans that frequent this board. I enjoy their input, and reading their comments/posts. They ARE NOT included among those of whom I referred to. I like them!!!! :D Two thumbs up to you guys. ;)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hmm. I know she was called coach but what she did was something less than coaching since FIBA rules do not allow coaches on the bench during 3x3 games. There was no making substitutions, no in-game adjustments. The experience shouldn't be discounted completely but it should be discounted. The biggest benefit from that experience was probably spending time with young players.
At this point people will find any reason to make someone unqualified so *kanye shrug*

Reaction Score

From the 4:00 minute on:
"Duke is the number one brand in college basketball"
"Duke WCBB is the number one WCBB job in America"
"Duke will be playing in the Final Four in 5 years".

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
At this point people will find any reason to make someone unqualified so *kanye shrug*
I don't think "people will find any reason to make someone unqualified" is what anyone was saying, as it was rightfully pointed out she has not coached at any level of team WBB-be it NCAA, WNBA, USA or the local PAL league.

Let's also qualify that being one of 6 NBA assistants for a total time of 75% of season for players who have reached the highest level of skills and knowledge is completely different than getting 14-17 year olds to follow you, getting 17-21 year olds to understand, follow and stay focused to elevate their games, to understand the myriad of NCAA rules to follow as a recruiter, trainer and protocol. And as was pointed out, what game management experience does she have- ZERO. Can she overcome these issues given her pedigree yeah, probably but then again, look at Lindsey Whelan who was significantly a more accomplished player than Kara and she's struggling a bit at Minnesota. And let's face it, Minnesota is NO WHERE near the level the microscope that will be Duke and the ACC is at.

So yes it is correct to say that Kara does NOT check all the boxes and no way does being an announcer or an assistant at the NBA for 60ish games equal WCBB coaching experience.

Reaction Score
I don't think "people will find any reason to make someone unqualified" is what anyone was saying, as it was rightfully pointed out she has not coached at any level of team WBB-be it NCAA, WNBA, USA or the local PAL league.

Let's also qualify that being one of 6 NBA assistants for a total time of 75% of season for players who have reached the highest level of skills and knowledge is completely different than getting 14-17 year olds to follow you, getting 17-21 year olds to understand, follow and stay focused to elevate their games, to understand the myriad of NCAA rules to follow as a recruiter, trainer and protocol. And as was pointed out, what game management experience does she have- ZERO. Can she overcome these issues given her pedigree yeah, probably but then again, look at Lindsey Whelan who was significantly a more accomplished player than Kara and she's struggling a bit at Minnesota. And let's face it, Minnesota is NO WHERE near the level the microscope that will be Duke and the ACC is at.

So yes it is correct to say that Kara does NOT check all the boxes and no wraay does being an announcer or an assistant at the NBA for 60ish games equal WCBB coaching experience.
Your last paragraph is the where the roads about Kara's qualifications start to diverge. To some, her time an analyst on ESPN and being an NBA assistant and the intangibles that comes with it is just as equal or even more than WCBB coaching experience. For others, it doesn't.

Reaction Score
Your last paragraph is the where the roads about Kara's qualifications start to diverge. To some, her time an analyst on ESPN and being an NBA assistant and the intangibles that comes with it is just as equal or even more than WCBB coaching experience. For others, it doesn't.
With all due respect to one of my favorite basketball announcers, unlikely she has the best match of experience to the job requirements. That being said, much of her success may depend on her Assistants. If she hires the right blend of recruiters and in game strategists, she can be a talking head. Suspect she will be much more than this over time, but a good set of Assistants will accelerate the perceived public opinion of her success.

Reaction Score
With all due respect to one of my favorite basketball announcers, unlikely she has the best match of experience to the job requirements. That being said, much of her success may depend on her Assistants. If she hires the right blend of recruiters and in game strategists, she can be a talking head. Suspect she will be much more than this over time, but a good set of Assistants will accelerate the perceived public opinion of her success.
The biggest adjustment will be how her team responds to losses to top teams, and winning against ALL the teams that they SHOULD beat... Those two pieces will help them improve rapidly. One of my sayings has been, "You can learn a lot more in defeat, than by accidentally winning. Just don't make a habit of getting beaten."

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
As stated earlier in this combined thread, I think the world of Kara Lawson as a commentator and her overall thoughts on the sport, young women and related areas. Think this is a chance to swing for the fences for Duke and her. Don't think it's a home run or strike out, but a bold move.

Very much look forward to seeing how she builds her staff. While I think Kara herself will be a draw for recruits (as Duke itself, of course, will be), I wonder if she'll bring in someone familiar with they day-in/day-out of the recruiting landscape. A former HC to give some advice? A nuts and bolts person who makes sure everything is right and tight? I always find team building to be fascinating and it certainly starts with a staff.

Reaction Score
Most of the over the top hype of Lawson is because of her job at ESPN. Nothing else.

Lawson has no legitimate basketball resume other than as a player.

Reaction Score
Most of the over the top hype of Lawson is because of her job at ESPN. Nothing else.

Lawson has no legitimate basketball resume other than as a player.

Would Genos resume have blown you away when we hired him?

Duke will attract all of the top recruits. ALL. I said attract, not get.
She is extremely charismatic.
She’s very knowledgeable. Celtic players can’t praise her enough. Respect was earned not given freely.

if Geno retired tomorrow, I would put her as my number one choice.

No need going back and forth with anyone about this. The next four years will make things a little more clear. I will take the beating if I’m off then

I coach a different sport, coaches like her, would terrify me. They have “it”. Geno has “it.

Reaction Score
Wow, I guess she fooled USA basketball and the Celtics. She must interview well. Lol

I bet those NBA players were wondering why an ESPN basketball analyst, with no coaching experience, was out on the court telling them how to play.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I bet those NBA players were wondering why an ESPN basketball analyst, with no coaching experience, was out on the court telling them how to play.

Perhaps at first, but ......

Marcus Smart on new Duke Women’s coach Kara Lawson: ‘we’re excited for her, we’re proud of her, and we love her’

Kara Lawson was given a choice when she joined the Boston Celtics staff. She could pick any player on the team she wanted to work with over the course of the season.

She chose Marcus Smart.

“This is why our bond has been strong, she had the option to work with anybody,” Smart told reporters on a Sunday afternoon video conference. “When she told Brad the reason why, she just liked the way I play my whole game. So that really hit home for me and it meant a lot.”

The two built a tight bond right away, which makes Lawson’s decision to take over the Duke Women’s Basketball program a little bittersweet. Losing someone who’d built a great rapport with not only her assigned players, but the rest of the team, is a little sad for the Celtics. Even so, everyone on the team seems more excited about her opportunity than upset to lose a valued member of the staff.

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

From the 4:00 minute on:
"Duke is the number one brand in college basketball"
"Duke WCBB is the number one WCBB job in America"
"Duke will be playing in the Final Four in 5 years".

A lot of bold statements. I agree with the first 2 though. On the men's side Coach K is far and away the most prominent figurehead in the sport today, and Duke basketball is the most household name program in the country. Everyone knows about the Cameron Crazies, camping out for tickets, the sellout crowds, etc.

Coaching at Duke in theory will be an absolute gold mine for recruits if you're a women's basketball coach. It has top facilities, is a very pretty campus and is a centrally located on the east coach. Not too far from the northeast, south, and the midwest. You can ride the success of the men's program, facilities and culture to haul in recruits. And it's a world class education no less.

Kara also comes in as a well known figure in sports, after being a prominent standout at Tennessee and in the WNBA, then becoming a well respected broadcaster for the past decade or so. Very charismatic, articulate and flat out just incredibly bright.

Everything on paper looks incredibly well set up for her to thrive IF she has the chops to be a great coach. She doesn't have ample coaching history, but Kara strikes me as someone who will be very successful in whatever she does, and I think she'll have good results at Duke.

Reaction Score
The only thing that will slow-down Kara's results is TIME!
It takes time to put your stamp on the program with practices and recruiting and game management.
She will get good asst's and will be willing to listen and learn!

Reaction Score
This is a big deal! I think she’ll have Duke amount the elite in WCBB in 2 to 3 years and keep them there for a long time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom