Duke Considers (and Hires) Kara Lawson for HC [merged thread] | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Duke Considers (and Hires) Kara Lawson for HC [merged thread]

Reaction Score
Ok, we need you to do a "Fudd drive-by" and see if the UConn Banner on the front porch has changed to a Blue Devil Blue...:cool:
Blue Hen.
1594681516182.png

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
Duke has always been a class university,and Kara has always been a class lady.This is a hire to return Duke to the cream of women's basketball.and this young lady will get them there.Her ability to analyze her players and motivate them,getting the best out of them,is going to go a long way.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
The truth of the matter is, no one knows how good of a coach Lawson will be because she has never coached one second of ACC basketball. She may well eventually be a successful coach but, it will take time, more than some of you think. Analyzing as a television analyst and from coaching 3 on 3 basketball is a lot different from coaching a team of eight to fourteen players over a full season. Others have tried it and failed. Her work with the Celtics should help but, some seem to be making matter of fact statements that she will be really good. Maybe she will, maybe she won't. I hope she succeeds. I don't have a problem with the Duke women but I do not like the Duke men.

Reaction Score
The truth of the matter is, no one knows how good of a coach Lawson will be because she has never coached one second of ACC basketball. She may well eventually be a successful coach but, it will take time, more than some of you think. Analyzing as a television analyst and from coaching 3 on 3 basketball is a lot different from coaching a team of eight to fourteen players over a full season. Others have tried it and failed. Her work with the Celtics should help but, some seem to be making matter of fact statements that she will be really good. Maybe she will, maybe she won't. I hope she succeeds. I don't have a problem with the Duke women but I do not like the Duke men.

We are UConn fans. OF COURSE we don’t like Duke men’s basketball.

Reaction Score
She will have them in the Final Four on a regular basis.

Soon.

She checks all of the boxes.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
In a telephone interview this morning (Tuesday July 14) on ESPN's Golic and Wingo show, Lawson said she has wanted to be a head coach for a long time. She said she’s ready. She indicated that her career path has prepared her for this unique opportunity. The time (and nurturing) she spent with Pat, the time and experiences she had during her 13 years in the WNBA USA basketball, culminating with time time she spent with Brad Stevens, along with the coaches and players of the Celtics organization that she said was "the greatest" team in the NBA.

She said she has spoken to Duke men’s coach K twice already. He welcomed her and said he would be there for if she had any questions or could be of any assistance.

She said she’s already been contacting potential recruits and their parents along with some coaches. She said she absolutely knows the value of quality recruits to any program. She said she knows what needs to be done. She gave no indication that she has picked a staff yet, but that does not mean she has not already picked them. She said she can't wait to get to work. :cool:

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Alot here are only UConn women fans with no ties the the school as a whole

Zanzman, I don't understand your comment. This is a UConn women's basketball fan chat room for any and ALL fans and boosters of the program. There is no requirement that you must be an alum of UConn to post comments here or follow the program. EVERYONE that posts here understands that. EVERYONE is welcome here unlike some other chat rooms that shall remain nameless. We know who they are. You don't have to be a UConn fan to post here. There is a separate "General Women's Basketball" section specifically for fans of other programs to post their thoughts, comments, concerns and news about their favorite school on. I don't understand the basis (or the point) of your comment. Specifically what are you trying to say? What difference does it make whether a poster went to UConn or not?

I enjoy reading the thoughts and comments of the posters that post here, most of whom are not UConn alums. That does not make their knowledge or interest in the program any less valid. Some of the of most intelligent, knowledgeable and respected posters here are not UConn alums, but yet they make this board one of the most popular and most visited chat rooms in the country. It sounds to me like you're just trolling, and not offering anything of value to the board.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
She will have them in the Final Four on a regular basis.
Soon.
She checks all of the boxes.
???? I like Kara and wish her success. But she most assuredly does NOT "check all the boxes". Like 1) Head coach at any level, other than 3X3 for a couple weeks, 2) Assistant coach at NCAA level or any level of women's BB. Not criticizing the hire, but saying she checks all the boxes is just silly.

Reaction Score
???? I like Kara and wish her success. But she most assuredly does NOT "check all the boxes". Like 1) Head coach at any level, other than 3X3 for a couple weeks, 2) Assistant coach at NCAA level or any level of women's BB. Not criticizing the hire, but saying she checks all the boxes is just silly.

She's been in the NBA as an assistant , That squashes the experience rah rah people keep throwing around . There's no level higher than the NBA or the Olympics so im not sure what else you would want her to do to be qualified here. She knows the game has played the game and coached the game at high levels . She's qualified !

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
She's been in the NBA as an assistant for 2 separate teams , That squashes the experience rah rah people keep throwing around . There's no level higher than the NBA or the Olympics so im not sure what else you would want her to do to be qualified here. She knows the game has played the game and coached the game at high levels . She's qualified !

Not here to debate Kara's qualifications but she was not an assistant for 2 separate NBA teams. She was a TV broadcast analyst for the Wizards and an assistant coach for 3/4 of a season for the Celtics.

Reaction Score
Not here to debate Kara's qualifications but she was not an assistant for 2 separate NBA teams. She was a TV broadcast analyst for the Wizards and an assistant coach for 3/4 of a season for the Celtics.
I meant two seperate teams as in Celtics and Team USA i have corrected the post .

Reaction Score
Zanzman, I don't understand your comment. This is a UConn women's basketball fan chat room for any and ALL fans and boosters of the program. There is no requirement that you must be an alum of UConn to post comments here or follow the program. EVERYONE that posts here understands that. EVERYONE is welcome here unlike some other chat rooms that shall remain nameless. We know who they are. You don't have to be a UConn fan to post here. There is a separate "General Women's Basketball" section specifically for fans of other programs to post their thoughts, comments, concerns and news about their favorite school on. I don't understand the basis (or the point) of your comment. Specifically what are you trying to say? What difference does it make whether a poster went to UConn or not?

I enjoy reading the thoughts and comments of the posters that post here, most of whom are not UConn alums. That does not make their knowledge or interest in the program any less valid. Some of the of most intelligent, knowledgeable and respected posters here are not UConn alums, but yet they make this board one of the most popular and most visited chat rooms in the country. It sounds to me like you're just trolling, and not offering anything of value to the board.
Poster before me commented that we all hate duke because of the men’s basketball and I was saying just that several people here are just fans of UConn ebb not everything UConn so you like many others don’t dislike duke or Syracuse or BC like a bleed blue UConn fan of all sports

Carnac

Reaction Score
Poster before me commented that we all hate duke because of the men’s basketball and I was saying just that several people here are just fans of UConn ebb not everything UConn so you like many others don’t dislike duke or Syracuse or BC like a bleed blue UConn fan of all sports

I had no idea you were responding to another poster's comment. Your post was a little hard to understand. Thanks for the clarification. Most of us (UConn fans) are rational fair minded folk. Most of us don't hate anyone. There are 2 programs that a group (not all) of us do not like. Tennessee and Notre Dame. Tennessee because of the incident of 2007 that Pat Summitt initiated. Notre Dame because of many of them hate and despise Geno, his players and it's fans. You attack my coach/players, you attack me. We're not going to kiss their ass or their rings. They don't like us, we don't like them. End of story. That will probably never change.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I wish her well. Saying that you know what to do and that you are ready is an important part of the process of becoming a leader, but she will still have to prove herself. There is the intellectual part of coaching that deals with x's and o's and the administration of the program. However, there is also the leadership part of coaching that enables you to get your players to run through walls for you. The combination of the two is not that common.

Carnac

Reaction Score

I gotta get me one of those shirts.

That's a great picture and gesture by the team. I'm sure this picture will find a prominent place in a frame on a wall in her new office. :) She won't turn Duke around overnight, but she (and her staff) will turn it around. How long it takes, we'll see. I won't attempt to put a timetable on this, but I would guess sooner rather than later.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
3 x 3 wtih SAB , Hebard ect...

Hmm. I know she was called coach but what she did was something less than coaching since FIBA rules do not allow coaches on the bench during 3x3 games. There was no making substitutions, no in-game adjustments. The experience shouldn't be discounted completely but it should be discounted. The biggest benefit from that experience was probably spending time with young players.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom