Duke Considers (and Hires) Kara Lawson for HC [merged thread] | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Duke Considers (and Hires) Kara Lawson for HC [merged thread]

Reaction Score
Be honest if you are the the parent of a highly recruited young women basketball player, and Kara Lawson offers her a scholarship to Duke, wouldn' t you want her to accept? Any parent would want their daughter to turn out like Kara.
Could be but my advice to any top recruit would be to go to a major program where they had an idea who they would be playing with and where I knew the coach's skills and style. It will likely take Kara 2-3 years to build her team and prove herself - too many risks for many recruits.

Reaction Score
Be honest if you are the the parent of a highly recruited young women basketball player, and Kara Lawson offers her a scholarship to Duke, wouldn' t you want her to accept? Any parent would want their daughter to turn out like Kara.

It’s not like Duke is the only good situation for a young player (I think that Maya Moore kid turned out okay) and Kara is the only role model. I don’t think it’s an automatic yes like you suggest.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I've been cooking at home since COVID. Eating out is an intellectual luxury my objective health still fears. But I did finally have a visitor come into my house yesterday so that's a start.
Just contact trace everyone your friends have seen for the last 3 weeks and then throw a party for tthem Works fine and you get to meet a great bunch of strangers, some in the ICU.

Last edited:

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
My thoughts on Fudd. She can be a superstar at UConn with the players surrounding her. They will make her better because they are that good and from a team standpoint you have to guard them one on one. Duke is rebuilding without any nucleaus of players. If Fudd were to go there she would be it and opponents would key on her. Playing would be difficult. At UConn it would flow because of the players there and coming in over the next 3 years. Duke doesnt have anyting coming in yet next year let alone the next 3 years.

Im not concerned either way. If Fudd comes to UConn its NC's lights out. If she doesnt and goes to Duke it wont hurt UConn it may hurt her because Duke cant build that fast. Duke will be playing catch up over the next few years and thats not catch up to UConn but SC Baylor Stanford too. Its alot of work to build a program in this era. Im not worried about UConn...Weve God Geno and he has a proven record and a proven roster for then next 5-6 years

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
My thoughts on Fudd. She can be a superstar at UConn with the players surrounding her. They will make her better because they are that good and from a team standpoint you have to guard them one on one. Duke is rebuilding without any nucleaus of players. If Fudd were to go there she would be it and opponents would key on her. Playing would be difficult. At UConn it would flow because of the players there and coming in over the next 3 years. Duke doesnt have anyting coming in yet next year let alone the next 3 years.

Im not concerned either way. If Fudd comes to UConn its NC's lights out. If she doesnt and goes to Duke it wont hurt UConn it may hurt her because Duke cant build that fast. Duke will be playing catch up over the next few years and thats not catch up to UConn but SC Baylor Stanford too. Its alot of work to build a program in this era. Im not worried about UConn...Weve God Geno and he has a proven record and a proven roster for then next 5-6 years.
If Azzi chooses to go to Duke it would be crazy to think other blue chip prospects would not follow her there rather quickly. Azzi going to Duke is not likely to happen, but is a "rebuild" that starts with Azzi really a rebuild? It could be more like a spark that starts a forest fire. Given the current college landscape I'm concerned if Azzi doesn't end up at UCONN.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I take it the Duke fans are no longer bent out of shape about not getting Goestenkors?

Yeah.... the natives are no longer restless. It saves me a trip to the Athletic Directors office with a pitchfork old rake in hand. :p Imagine going to bed thinking that Beth Cunningham would be hired and waking up finding out Kara Lawson is the leading contender. No disrespect to Cunningham or ND intended :rolleyes: ....

Reaction Score
Does Azzi have some Duke connection I've missed? Or is all this discussion based solely on Kara hiring on as head coach? Sure, a nice hire, but so earthshaking that Azzi will scrap any other thoughts she had on where to play college ball? I have a hard time believing that. She can pick and choose any program in the country and Duke isn't at present all that great an option. A lovely campus if you are into faux Gothic, but as the place to develop her game, showcase her talents, win a NC, be a #1 WNBA draft choice? I don't think so.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Does Azzi have some Duke connection I've missed? Or is all this discussion based solely on Kara hiring on as head coach? Sure, a nice hire, but so earthshaking that Azzi will scrap any other thoughts she had on where to play college ball? I have a hard time believing that. She can pick and choose any program in the country and Duke isn't at present all that great an option. A lovely campus if you are into faux Gothic, but as the place to develop her game, showcase her talents, win a NC, be a #1 WNBA draft choice? I don't think so.
Think of it this way-ND was rumored to be high on Azzi's list. When Muffet retired and Niele was hired at ND did we hear Azzi tweeting anything? Just sayin-we sure heard from her on this Duke hire.
BTW much like Stewie I believe Azzi has an outstanding chance of being #1 WNBA pick regardless of where she goes to school.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Think of it this way-ND was rumored to be high on Azzi's list. When Muffet retired and Niele was hired at ND did we hear Azzi tweeting anything? Just sayin-we sure heard from her on this Duke hire.
BTW much like Stewie I believe Azzi has an outstanding chance of being #1 WNBA pick regardless of where she goes to school.
Actually, Tim Fudd tweeted about Muffet stepping down.

Reaction Score

The guy or woman who started it was kidding. Who knows where she'll go. But the person that posted it, apparently did it just to get a rise out of everyone from what I understand.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Yes Tim tweeted surprise at Muffet stepping down, nothing about Ivy being hired. Azzi tweeted about Kara and nothing about Muffet or Niele.

Reaction Score
The guy or woman who started it was kidding. Who knows where she'll go. But the person that posted it, apparently did it just to get a rise out of everyone from what I understand.
It did expand this thread out a bit.

I imagine one of the first things Kara did after hitting her new office was to connect up with Azzi. That would make her 147th on the list of coaches making a pitch.

Reaction Score
I think now to be coach at Power 5 school your name has to carry weight around the women basketball community if not (Tina Langley and Michelle Clark Heard or P5 assistants) you have no chance. Just look at who ND, TX, and Mississippi State all big name in names in the women basketball community.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

Im not concerned either way. If Fudd comes to UConn its NC's lights out. If she doesnt and goes to Duke it wont hurt UConn it may hurt her because Duke cant build that fast. Duke will be playing catch up over the next few years and thats not catch up to UConn but SC Baylor Stanford too. Its alot of work to build a program in this era. Im not worried about UConn...Weve God Geno and he has a proven record and a proven roster for then next 5-6 years

If Fudd goes to Duke she will be the nucleus and likely pulls several top recruits with her. Wouldnt be surprised if she has an Ionescu type impact at Duke. Oregon was mediocre prior to Sabrina and became a dominant title favorite by the end of her career. The great ones have a way of elevating teammates and programs. If Azzi is as good as advertised, she'll likely follow suit. Mix a few good players with good coaching and a lot can happen.

Reaction Score
Azzi Fudd's dad made a Tweet that has me wondering if this is what the doctor ordered for her to go to Duke? Tbh, I'd be happy for her if she went and for Kara.
Yeah that tweet made me worry , he seems very fond of Lawson and im sure they have a connection from when lawson was on the Wizards staff. Im still guessing this move is too late in the process to make a difference in Azzi's destination.

Reaction Score
Kara and Azzi both from the DMV area , Kara has been knowing Azzi since her Wizards days . They do have a connection just not sure if its strong enough for her to pick Duke . Her dad seems to be happy about the hire , but doesn't mean Azzi wants to get there.

Reaction Score
Risky move for Azzi to pick Duke, imo. She'll get double-teamed from Day 1. A rebuild will take a long time, and there's no guarantee talent will go there to follow her. Also, no chance at Titles. With Geno, she can develop without the pressure of doing everything herself. She can also build her own legacy with Paige - UConn hasnt had a Title in a while, so it will clearly be her/Paige's team for a while. Anyway - whatever makes her happy, good for her.

Reaction Score
Risky move for Azzi to pick Duke, imo. She'll get double-teamed from Day 1. A rebuild will take a long time, and there's no guarantee talent will go there to follow her. Also, no chance at Titles. With Geno, she can develop without the pressure of doing everything herself. She can also build her own legacy with Paige - UConn hasnt had a Title in a while, so it will clearly be her/Paige's team for a while. Anyway - whatever makes her happy, good for her.
She can also be a doctor after finishing her Bball career. She seems bent on having a profession after basketball as well .

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom