Duke Considers (and Hires) Kara Lawson for HC [merged thread] | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Duke Considers (and Hires) Kara Lawson for HC [merged thread]

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

I think it's a great hire. Duke is one of those schools that can recruit well solely based on name, and when you add in a huge name like Lawson, I think she's going to do big things there.

Lots of compelling new coaches at different programs to look out for the next several years:
Kara Lawson at Duke
Lindsey Whalen at Minnesota
Kellie Harper at Tennessee
Courtney Banghart at UNC
Vic Schaefer at Texas
Niele Ivey at Notre Dame
Carolyn Kieger at Penn State

You’ve got to like Lawson. She was willing to go around to the deep end of the pool and jump in, instead of entering in the shallow end and wading/swimming across. I like it. :)

Carnac

Reaction Score
I wonder if it’ll be to late for Lawson to get in on some of the top uncommitted players like Marshall, or Hollingshead.

She probably has already secured a coaching staff, and is working on it.

Reaction Score
I think it's a tremendous hire. Not sure if she wasn't interested in Tennessee, or if they somehow thought someone with more coaching experience would be a better fit, but I don't think it will be very long before Duke far surpasses Tennessee in the rankings.

Not only should the Duke name practically recruit itself, but if she lands some good assistants, including one with excellent recruiting experience, it will make Duke a player for top talent in no time.

For anyone who thinks "why not Shea", I suspect (and this is just a guess) that she loves being at UCONN, her husband is the HC of the WCBB team at UMASS-Lowell, and IMHO she's on the very short list to replace Geno when he retires in 7-10 years. :)
EricLA, I know a lot of people see Shea as a head coach but I just can't buy into it. I've said this before and I'll repeat myslef, Shea loves basketball, she loves teaching and the camaraderie but I don't think she wants the headaches and politics that go along with the job. She keeps a very low profile and does not appear to be engaged in a lot of off the court activity and that is not usually the personality of a head coach.

Reaction Score
Thanks Urhurak. This is the news I’ve been waiting for. I just became a Duke women’s fan. Congratulations to Kara. I know she’ll do a great job. Triad, slide over, you’ve got company. :)

Unless a certain recruit from D.C. commits today, this is the best news I could get this weekend.
Carnac, are you by any chance referring to "She who's name will not be said?"

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I take it the Duke fans are no longer bent out of shape about not getting Goestenkors?

Most. No more letters to White or demands that he be fired.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Carnac, are you by any chance referring to "She who's name will not be said?"

YES!!! ;) I won't mention her by name until she commits to UConn or somewhere else.

Reaction Score
This is a great hire for Duke. I just cannot imagine a better ambassador for the university and the sport that Kara Lawson. Class act all the way, and in no time Duke will be giving UConn fits on the court.

Reaction Score
Duke just became a new hot spot for potential transfers. I think she will definitely pull in some talent via that route.

Reaction Score
Stepping stone to bring her back to Tennessee.
Not a stepping stone VOD. Kara and Kelly are comparably young and both UT and Duke hope they have their head coaching situation settled for the next 25 years.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score

I think it's a great hire. Duke is one of those schools that can recruit well solely based on name, and when you add in a huge name like Lawson, I think she's going to do big things there.

Lots of compelling new coaches at different programs to look out for the next several years:
Kara Lawson at Duke
Lindsey Whalen at Minnesota
Kellie Harper at Tennessee
Courtney Banghart at UNC
Vic Schaefer at Texas
Niele Ivey at Notre Dame
Carolyn Kieger at Penn State
I think Carla Berube at Princeton and Marissa Moseley at BU should be added to the list. Now more than ever the virus needs to go away. Women's basketball keeps getting better and better.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom