Duke Considers (and Hires) Kara Lawson for HC [merged thread] | The Boneyard

Duke Considers (and Hires) Kara Lawson for HC [merged thread]

Reaction Score
Kara has always been a class act, as a player and a commentator. And she seems to be one of the really nice people out there. I'm not sure she has had any coaching experience but her background would stand her in good stead. I think that in the long run Duke would be doing themselves a favor.

Reaction Score
It looked like a perfect fit for Shea Ralph, although Lawson is deserving. Interesting...

Reaction Score
Kara has always been a class act, as a player and a commentator. And she seems to be one of the really nice people out there. I'm not sure she has had any coaching experience but her background would stand her in good stead. I think that in the long run Duke would be doing themselves a favor.
She is currently an assistant with the Boston Celtics

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Given that one of the Celtic owners is on Duke's Board, this is an all but done deal. Surprised no announcement yesterday.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I think it's a tremendous hire. Not sure if she wasn't interested in Tennessee, or if they somehow thought someone with more coaching experience would be a better fit, but I don't think it will be very long before Duke far surpasses Tennessee in the rankings.

Not only should the Duke name practically recruit itself, but if she lands some good assistants, including one with excellent recruiting experience, it will make Duke a player for top talent in no time.

For anyone who thinks "why not Shea", I suspect (and this is just a guess) that she loves being at UCONN, her husband is the HC of the WCBB team at UMASS-Lowell, and IMHO she's on the very short list to replace Geno when he retires in 7-10 years. :)

Reaction Score
Definitely a nice hire for Duke. Now just a matter of making it official, getting the players to buy in, recruiting players that fit her coaching philosophy and overall team philosophy, and getting a solid coaching staff.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Guess you missed the announcement of either two fish filets or one fish filet and a large order of fries for four dollars at McDonald's
I've been cooking at home since COVID. Eating out is an intellectual luxury my objective health still fears. But I did finally have a visitor come into my house yesterday so that's a start.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

I think it's a great hire. Duke is one of those schools that can recruit well solely based on name, and when you add in a huge name like Lawson, I think she's going to do big things there.

Lots of compelling new coaches at different programs to look out for the next several years:
Kara Lawson at Duke
Lindsey Whalen at Minnesota
Kellie Harper at Tennessee
Courtney Banghart at UNC
Vic Schaefer at Texas
Niele Ivey at Notre Dame
Carolyn Kieger at Penn State

Reaction Score
I wonder if it’ll be to late for Lawson to get in on some of the top uncommitted players like Marshall, or Hollingshead.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Guess you missed the announcement of either two fish filets or one fish filet and a large order of fries for four dollars at McDonald's
This post is especially for you. Duke is on television now and will be until 9:00 pm tonight on the ACC Network. They are showing games from 2002, 2003, and 2004. I don't know if you were a Duke fan during those years.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Thanks Urhurak. This is the news I’ve been waiting for. I just became a Duke women’s fan. Congratulations to Kara. I know she’ll do a great job. Triad, slide over, you’ve got company. :)

Unless a certain recruit from D.C. commits today (or tomorrow), this is the best news I'll get this weekend.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom