Duke at N. D. 1pm ESPN | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Duke at N. D. 1pm ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
It's Gray, not Grey.

And she was done for the year way before this game.

Jones was the one that got hurt today.

Tony, it's not difficult to get these details right. It makes your post tough to appreciate when you get these things wrong.
The announcer mentioned someone leaving the game. I was at work and wasn't following closely. I thought they said Gray and I thought wasn't she hurt and out for the season. My mistake.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Who? ND?

Why state that as fact? I don't believe that to be true.

You are certainly welcome to your opinion, but ND being better this is debatable.
I didn't say it wasn't debatable but to my eye watching them they are better this year. Of course it was my opinion. They are much more balanced on the court and share the ball much better. They are very good at finding the seams. They keep their spacing better with better shooting in the games I've seen.

Last edited:

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
The announcer mentioned someone leaving the game. I was at work and wasn't following closely. I thought they said Gray and I thought wasn't she hurt and out for the season. My mistake.
Yes, Gray has been out for weeks breaking her knee cap. It was Alexis Jones the replacement PG. Liston was forced into play at the point. I will be surprised if it isn't an ACL. But I've been surprised before.

Last edited:

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
I agree with Ice on this one. From what I've seen of ND this year they are moving and sharing the ball much better without having to defer to SD. They are a really good offensive team. Loyd and McBride are the players that have to be shut down. I'm not overly concerned about Achonwa.

BTW, as DD has been saying, ND basically played a 7 player rotation today so forget all the talk about how 'deep' their bench is.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Before ESPN put the graphic up I thought UCONN would be the overall #1 seed, after the graphic, not so much. Seeing it on the screen was pretty interesting. I am ok with ND being the overall #1 seed.

as far as NPOY, I am going with Ogwumike. I dont like Sims attitude when things arent going her way just my opinion and she takes 30 shots a game to get 30 points.

These stats are through 27 games. Gives a good overview of the impact each player has on her team.

PPG
Odyssey 29.6
Chiney 26.5

Shooting %
Odyssey: 46% (add the extra points earned on 3-shots and OS is effectively at 53%)
Chiney: 62.9% (add the extra points earned on 3-point shots and CO is effectively 63.0%)

RPG
Odssey 4.07: Baylor is shooting 44% for the year so each rebound would equate to an extra 3.58 PPG
Chiney 12: Stanford is shooting 48% for the year so each rebound would equate to an extra 11.59 PPG

APG
Odyssey 4.74: 9.48 PPG, based on two-point shooting
Chiney 1.6: 3.2 PPG, based on two point shooting

SPG
Odyssey 1.96
Chiney 1.26

FTMPG
Odyssey 6.37
Chiney 3.81

FT%
Odyssey: 81%
Chiney: 71%

FTAPG
Odyssey 7.81
Chiney 5.37

3-pointers made
Odyssey 83 (44.1%)
Chiney 2 (negligible at 22.2%)

Blocks
Odyssey 3 (negligible at .11 BPG)
Chiney 46 (since Stanford opponents are shooting 35% for the year that would equate to 1.19 PPG)

Fouls PG
Odyssey 2.04
Chiney 2.30

Minutes Per Game
Odyssey 32.4
Chiney 32.8

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
I still maintain ND's 'weakness' is defense. Duke put up 70 pts. AT ND whereas they only scored 61 pts. AT HOME against UConn. Oh, and Chelsea Grey had 13 of those points in the UConn game and obviously didn't play today against ND.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
The "eye test" tells you that UCONN is the best team in the country. You can compare stats and situations 'til the cows come home, but UCONN's first four players (not including KML at this point) are a cut above. With KML you can change the "four" to "five."

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Tough for Duke - they did fight back impressively after a really ugly start. And Jones does look like a pretty good player.

As for either the NCAA or any announcer using RPI as a measure of a team's quality - all you have to do is looking at the rankings to realize how completely meaningless that is:
#5 = LSU currently an impressive 7-7 in the SEC
#9 = Purdue currently 10-5 in an unforgettable Big10
#13 = St Joseph's a truly impressive 9-5 in that killer A10
I have no idea if it has any meaning in men's basketball as I don't actually follow them, but I am not sure you could come up with a wackier rating system for women's basketball - Dayton at 12-1 in the A10 is rated as #21, St. Bonny's at 10-4 is at #57, and George Washington at 10-4 is at #100. Please someone explain how St. Josephs is therefore #13? And why I should care that a top ten team beat St Joseph's rather than say Rutgers (#53) or St. Bonny's (#57) or Ohio State (#55)

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I didn't say it wasn't debatable but to my eye watching them they are better this year. Of course it was my opinion. They are much more balanced on the court and share the ball much better. They are very good at finding the seams. They keep their spacing better with better shooting in the games I've seen.

Ok. Sorry.

My bad.

The look to me to be dominated by three players. I'm not sure how that is different than last year. Allen is a good player but still a freshman point guard. Braker is still bothered by her knee. Mabrey has improved and certainly can hit the 3 pointer. Reimer has really struggled lately. Good against smaller teams, but big teams give her trouble.

Maybe as good, but I don't believe they are better.

We'll find out as the season progresses. They are really good. I don't want to minimize that.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
At what point in the game was Jones injured?

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I still maintain ND's 'weakness' is defense. Duke put up 70 pts. AT ND whereas they only scored 61 pts. AT HOME against UConn. Oh, and Chelsea Grey had 13 of those points in the UConn game and obviously didn't play today against ND.
I agree. ND defense appears to be good but not great.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Their defense is absolutely their Achilles heel. Defense, however, can be made to look good by a team that is cold from the floor.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Three point guards injured..... only 2 healthy scholarship guards left on the roster. :( What an awful season..... at least I have Duke Football to look forward to
A couple of years ago, who thought you'd be saying that!

They may have dropped from a national semifinal loser to a Sweet 16 loser.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
dwh_dnw.jpg

• Notre Dame with 20+ assists
Well, they had 23 on 31 shots. :rolleyes:

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I don't think ND gets the overall top seed, but other than locker room fodder, what difference would it make? With no S-curve, it won't affect the placement of the 2 seeds. With ND hosting, it won't affect the regional for UConn. Maybe, if they push balance over geography, it might affect one of the lower seed placements, but if we have to worry about that... enough said.

I guess it could affect whether UConn or ND gets what is perceived to be the 3rd versus 4th overall seed, so there's that.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I agree with Ice on this one. From what I've seen of ND this year they are moving and sharing the ball much better without having to defer to SD. They are a really good offensive team. Loyd and McBride are the players that have to be shut down. I'm not overly concerned about Achonwa.

BTW, as DD has been saying, ND basically played a 7 player rotation today so forget all the talk about how 'deep' their bench is.
The played 7 but very little balanced scoring today or most games.

Two starters don't score much in Allen and Braker.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I don't think ND gets the overall top seed, but other than locker room fodder, what difference would it make? With no S-curve, it won't affect the placement of the 2 seeds. With ND hosting, it won't affect the regional for UConn. Maybe, if they push balance over geography, it might affect one of the lower seed placements, but if we have to worry about that... enough said.
I guess it could affect whether UConn or ND gets what is perceived to be the 3rd versus 4th overall seed, so there's that.
I don't know about locker room fodder, but message board fodder? Yep.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
At what point in the game was Jones injured?

Think around the 10-11 minute mark..... Duke had cut the lead down to 7 and had made it competitive

I know it's early but any news on Jones? I am hoping for the best. I hate this stuff. Knees....

Coach said the early diagnosis was a sprain..... but they always say that right after the game. I fear the worse.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Ok. Sorry.

My bad.

The look to me to be dominated by three players. I'm not sure how that is different than last year. Allen is a good player but still a freshman point guard. Braker is still bothered by her knee. Mabrey has improved and certainly can hit the 3 pointer. Reimer has really struggled lately. Good against smaller teams, but big teams give her trouble.

Maybe as good, but I don't believe they are better.

We'll find out as the season progresses. They are really good. I don't want to minimize that.

I think the difference in ND's offense is the further emergence of Loyd, who is an outstanding athlete and does some amazing things
And their use of Achonwa which I mentioned earlier in a different thread …really quick on pick and rolls. gets a lot of easy 2's
Today she was in foul trouble and didn't contribute as much as usual.
Marbrey needs to be guarded. If someone's really on her, she is much less effective.
I think our 4 has enough and with half of KML's usual scoring it's a decisive, though not necessarily easy win.

Reaction Score

It doesn't affect this year much as you said maybe a number 4 seed. But maybe another year it would if we were instead number 2/3 or 4 or even 5 in the country. And we get stuck playing a team we don't match up near as well with.

Secodnly, isn't it bothersome that some announcers on national tv can be so dumb?

Reaction Score
Only saw the 2nd half but where I think we may have an advantage over ND is on defense. Duke was scoring like hot cakes to start the 2nd half before their guard went down. Maryland also was scoring at will against them when I saw them. ND is very good offensively but I don't see them digging in for stops often.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I was surprised at how easily Williams was beating ND down the floor on fast breaks - I do not remember Duke getting out on Uconn at all on fast breaks off rebounds.

Reaction Score
If you want to compare UConn vs ND why not compare common opponents?

Penn St. UC +19, ND +10
Md, UC +17, ND +4
Duke, UC +22, ND +16 (avg)

That would be advantage UConn by 9, 13 and 6 respectively. Penn St and Md were without KML. Duke was with KML but in ND's case Duke was without Gray. So essentially without KML we outperformed ND by 10 pts a game.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
Secodnly, isn't it bothersome that some announcers on national tv can be so dumb?

I see it a little differently. Saying that UConn is #1 doesn't sell papers (metaphorically). So my guess is someone asked research to put together a case that ND is number one. To their surprise, it wasn't laughable, so they decide to run with it, because it would create conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom