Duke AD bullish on ACC channel...New York presence | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Duke AD bullish on ACC channel...New York presence

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You're not keeping up and honestly, you're a human speed bump here. Try to follow the thread if you insist on commenting.

Even in Florida, Florida State and Miami aren't given half the attention that UF gets.

Year in and year out, attention in college football is directed to the SEC and a bare handful of other schools. (PSU doesn't rate - lovely record, but they're not Michigan. FSU and Miami - nope and nope.)

This was in response to the gentlemen who decided that college football only matters from Virginia south.
Fishy, the amount of respect you generate takes a hit when you make condescending remarks, so keep that in mind when you try to assert your power. We're all making friendly debates, so get back in line and straighten up my good man. Thanks.

Back to the argument and to reality, your year in and year out appears to be looking at relatively recent history, which explains why you are keeping out PSU, FSU and Miami. Not sure how you could leave out a storied program like PSU with their rich history, huge national following, and exposure. Right up there with the best. FSU and Miami were relevant and more powerful than UF historically.

pj

Reaction Score
Absurd that somebody thinks Penn State isn't an eastern school and eastern/central Pennsylvania is not part of the northeast. Philly is a seaport, it's functionally on the Atlantic ocean by way of the Delaware River. Historically the Susquehanna Valley had ties to Baltimore, its port, and after roads replaced rivers to Philly. The mountains of western Pennsylvania have always been a major barrier that economically and psychically divided the east and the midwest. Pittsburgh, home to rivers that flow west, is the start of the Midwest. It was as the gateway to the west that Pittsburgh came into existence and grew to a large city.

Reaction Score
Fishy, the amount of respect you generate takes a hit when you make condescending remarks, so keep that in mind when you try to assert your power. We're all making friendly debates, so get back in line and straighten up my good man. Thanks.

98% of his posts are condescending, so if that causes him to lose respect in your mind, how did you possibly gain any respect for what he writes?

Reaction Score
Calling PSU anything other than east coast is off base. However, I don't think your sentiment is not shared by some folks on the east coast due to it's association with the Big Ten (Institutionally the conference is a great fit but culturally it is a mismatch), which probably has made them less important to the east coast but states students come from and move to in my experience is about 95% east coast. I think Rutgers and Maryland fit right in with PSU in the B1G, east coast state flagships with great academics, and why I think UConn would be a great addition..

IRT nothing football related happening north of VA, I think a good lens to view it through would be whether you've ever watched a school play when it wasn't playing your team. Growing up in Philly schools that I think belong in that group; PSU, VT, UGA, FSU, UF, and the U.

Reaction Score
I've lived on the east coast all my life except for 2 years in Ann Arbor, MI, 1 year in Padova, Italy, 3 years in Greece. The attitudes while living in PA and now Buffalo (which 78 also seems to think isn't northeast) were not at all different from Boston, Providence, New Haven, New York City, Washington, Albany and Rochester (which are the 7 other cities I've lived in during that time). Accents change, attitudes stay the same.

Someone posted a chart on my facebook yesterday of the most and least bible-minded cities in the USA. When you see all of Western New York, Pittsburgh, Scranton, etc., they are among least bible minded in the nation, practically indistinguishable from the "heathen" New England cities, which scored "low" like Hartford, Providence, Boston, Manchester, NH, etc. It also makes sense because Pittsburgh and Buffalo are among the two most heavily Catholic cities in the USA, filled with Italians, Irish and Polish people.

Reaction Score
I have no idea where you get your figures from. Try reality buddy. Virginia seats about 62,000 - and they are sold out. UNC seats 63,000 and I'm willing to bet they are close to filling out every game. These are more than east coast teams north of Virginia.

As for your comment regarding PSU - read closely. I said they are ARGUABLY not an east coast team. Where you get that 3/4 are Philly students is pure fiction. This is not true. Even if many of their students come from eastern pensylvania, the reason why it isn't arguably considered an east coast school is because geographically it is located in central pennsylvania, and more importantly has cultural ties to the middle of the country and the big ten more so than it does to the east coast. Accordingly, it is arguably considered a midwest school more than an east coast school.

What distinguishes virginia, unc and va tech is their fan support, so your argument about weak brand is irrelevant - I went to both UVa and UConn and there is a stark difference in both the student and townie and state support for UVa than for UConn. From what I can see, same applies to UNC. Miami has a national following too.
Since when is central Pa not considered East Coast?Is it not in Pa?Is not Pa a Mid-Atlantic State?More ties to the midwest?Just after the depression and post depression nearly 1M Pennsylvanians fled to the industrial centers of NY/NJ/Conn whose ancestors multiplied!Most of the Irish-Slavs and numerous Italians in NJ came from Central/ NE and SE Pennsy in "35" to approx"45" looking for work as coal was fading and work hard to find and my family was amongst them and thats why they(PSU) have HUGE NJ/NY support but virtually none from Ohio west!!This is very similar to the Okie influence in depression era Calif (esp S.Cali) giving Cali a "western feel" and sort of culture.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As a soccer fan, I look forward the NCAA Elite Eight in Women's Soccer....(The ACC Invitational this year)

Six of the Elite Eight are ACC teams....I watched a couple of the tournament games that were held here in Tallahassee. Any of the elite eight can beat the girls from my team, but likewise, they can beat any of the other eight as well. Keeping my fingers crossed.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
I'm certainly shocked to find that I live in the mid west here in the heart of Penn State territory. I'm 20 miles from the NJ border... EVERYONE here is a PSU fan. I'm 75 minutes from New York City... lots of people commute to NYC. This is the East Coast. YOU MIGHT have an argument if you talked about Pittsburgh... but even then it's Appalachia... it has far more in common with West Virgina, Virginia Tech, Tennessee, etc. than the mid west. The only exception to this might be Lancaster which feels a heck of a lot like Indiana... but that's probably just the Amish and the bible schools...

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Let's call a spade a spade - college football is the top half of the SEC, Texas, Oklahoma, Oregon, USC, Michigan, Ohio State and Notre Dame.

Other teams catch some attention when they can, but they're making a cameo in the spotlight. No one truly cares about 'em.

I'm fine with this... I just wish they'd stop trying to choke everyone else out of existence. They make a sh!tl0@d of money now... but they could make even more with a real national title tournament... but they're all too it to give anyone else half a chance.

Reaction Score
I'm certainly shocked to find that I live in the mid west here in the heart of Penn State territory. I'm 20 miles from the NJ border... EVERYONE here is a PSU fan. I'm 75 minutes from New York City... lots of people commute to NYC. This is the East Coast. YOU MIGHT have an argument if you talked about Pittsburgh... but even then it's Appalachia... it has far more in common with West Virgina, Virginia Tech, Tennessee, etc. than the mid west. The only exception to this might be Lancaster which feels a heck of a lot like Indiana... but that's probably just the Amish and the bible schools...

I found the area around Strasburg, Lancaster, etc to be very much like southern Ohio and not too different from my father's deutch farm roots in eastern Wisconsin....

I, like many from down south, tend to think of the northeast as the anithesis of rural. Even though much is quite rural.

Just like many don't think of the south as Atlanta or Charlotte.

Reaction Score
As a soccer fan, I look forward the NCAA Elite Eight in Women's Soccer....(The ACC Invitational this year)

Six of the Elite Eight are ACC teams....I watched a couple of the tournament games that were held here in Tallahassee. Any of the elite eight can beat the girls from my team, but likewise, they can beat any of the other eight as well. Keeping my fingers crossed.
The ACC has 4 of the Sweet Sixteen in the NCAA Men's Soccert Tournament as well. I see where UConn Men's Soccer made the Sweet Sixteen too. Congrats! UConn plays UCLA. UVA plays Marquette. If we both win, we'll meet in the Elite Eight.

Reaction Score
The ACC has 4 of the Sweet Sixteen in the NCAA Men's Soccert Tournament as well. I see where UConn Men's Soccer made the Sweet Sixteen too. Congrats! UConn plays UCLA. UVA plays Marquette. If we both win, we'll meet in the Elite Eight.
It is wonderful that UConn does so well in sports, but the fact is it makes no difference. You all are in a great conference, Rutgers, which is the lowest of the low, will be in the B1G. It appears that UConn will be stuck in hell for a long long time if not forever. All that matters in money and TV sets, I guess. These games that you describe really only matter to the individuals who participate in them. They don't help the perception of the schools that they represent at all, from what I see. UConn can win all the titles it wants in basketball, soccer, field hockey. It makes no difference. All the academics in the world make no difference. Be happy for the athletes who compete yes, but in the overall picture, it makes no difference. Politics makes a difference. Institutional leadership makes a difference. That is what is lacking at UConn.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Lol - you are a moron.

Stop posting.

I can ban you if you prefer it that way, but just volunteer to go away.

It's just cleaner that way.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
It is wonderful that UConn does so well in sports, but the fact is it makes no difference. You all are in a great conference, Rutgers, which is the lowest of the low, will be in the B1G. It appears that UConn will be stuck in hell for a long long time if not forever. All that matters in money and TV sets, I guess. These games that you describe really only matter to the individuals who participate in them. They don't help the perception of the schools that they represent at all, from what I see. UConn can win all the titles it wants in basketball, soccer, field hockey. It makes no difference. All the academics in the world make no difference. Be happy for the athletes who compete yes, but in the overall picture, it makes no difference. Politics makes a difference. Institutional leadership makes a difference. That is what is lacking at UConn.

Let me ask you a serious question.

When Rutgers cashes that first check from the B1G, how exciting will that be? Will it be the exciting moment in your RU sports history? Will it be on TV?

Because, it seems like you are saying this is more important than winning:

"UConn can win all the titles it wants"

For me, that is personally more exciting than watching someone cash a check.

So, yes, Rutgers will make more money, but it UCONN wins more championships, I'll take that in trade.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score

This is, easily, the stupidest post I have ever seen on a sports forum.

Reaction Score
There is something to be said for exposure...

Exposure has a value.....and sometimes, being paid a little less while being on TV a bunch is a great trade off...

example: ESPN sometimes pays a little less then maybe BGN or Fox...but the exposure has been great for us Nole fans.

I suspect that Huskie fans will like the exposure...

Reaction Score

UConn will be in one of the major conferences before it's over. The UConn athletic department is well run and successful. I was just complementing men's soccer. I don't know why when I post a complement about UConn I get someone wanting to bring up Rutgers. I wasn't talking about Rutgers Men's Soccer. I didn't see them in the draw. As for Rutgers Athletics, I've already expressed my opinion on these boards. I'm not interested in repeating or commenting about Rutgers anymore.

Reaction Score
There is something to be said for exposure...

Exposure has a value.....and sometimes, being paid a little less while being on TV a bunch is a great trade off...

example: ESPN sometimes pays a little less then maybe BGN or Fox...but the exposure has been great for us Nole fans.

Some folks, especially from outside of the ACC, thought Swofford was crazy to take a less money to get the league more TV time.

I suspect that Huskie fans will like the exposure...

I hope its with the ACC.

Reaction Score
Let me ask you a serious question.

When Rutgers cashes that first check from the B1G, how exciting will that be? Will it be the exciting moment in your RU sports history? Will it be on TV?

Because, it seems like you are saying this is more important than winning:

"UConn can win all the titles it wants"

For me, that is personally more exciting than watching someone cash a check.

So, yes, Rutgers will make more money, but it UCONN wins more championships, I'll take that in trade.
That is all well and good for now, but the money will dry up and the ability to remain competitive will disappear once that happens. I hate Rutgers. Fishy is nasty. Let him ban me. So much for free speech. Is this board run by totalitarian extremists? No one respects UConn more than me or supports UConn more as much as I can financially. UConn has made me a great success, probably more than Fishy's wildest dreams of what he can be. I am expressing truthful opinions. If you all want to keep your heads in the sand that is your business. It doesn't change anything. I dare anyone to prove that my opinions are without merit. Most of the people here speculate and talk with hyperbole with no evidence of fact.

Reaction Score
How is your comment about lack of institutional leadership without merit? We have more leadership now from Pres. Herbst than we have had from that post since I was in school in the 70's. The word UConn is recognized worldwide now because of ...BASKETBALL. The improved academics don't matter? Really.

Reaction Score
That is all well and good for now, but the money will dry up and the ability to remain competitive will disappear once that happens. I hate Rutgers. Fishy is nasty. Let him ban me. So much for free speech. Is this board run by totalitarian extremists? No one respects UConn more than me or supports UConn more as much as I can financially.
I'm sure you're allowed to speak freely if you're not a troll.

Trolls come in all different shapes and sizes, and you certainly fit the bill. You donating money to UConn doesn't change that.

Reaction Score
That is all well and good for now, but the money will dry up and the ability to remain competitive will disappear once that happens. I hate Rutgers. Fishy is nasty. Let him ban me. So much for free speech. Is this board run by totalitarian extremists? No one respects UConn more than me or supports UConn more as much as I can financially. UConn has made me a great success, probably more than Fishy's wildest dreams of what he can be. I am expressing truthful opinions. If you all want to keep your heads in the sand that is your business. It doesn't change anything. I dare anyone to prove that my opinions are without merit. Most of the people here speculate and talk with hyperbole with no evidence of fact.
If you are so successful beyond Fishy's wildest dreams, why are you so emo? You might have beat out nelsonmuntz. That's a huge feat.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
[quote="buddy, post: 766722, member: 3489" Let him ban me. So much for free speech. Is this board run by totalitarian extremists? No one respects UConn more than me or supports UConn more as much as I can financially. UConn has made me a great success, probably more than Fishy's wildest dreams of what he can be. I am expressing truthful opinions. If you all want to keep your heads in the sand that is your business. It doesn't change anything. I dare anyone to prove that my opinions are without merit. Most of the people here speculate and talk with hyperbole with no evidence of fact.[/quote]

You must be very rich and powerful; Mr. Burton, is that you? It's the internet for chrissakes, you need to grow a thicker skin.

BTW, I've never seen a board that bans people as rarely as this one, and that is despite the never ending traffic from BC, Rutgers, Providence and rendom other trolls.

Also, opinions are just that, opinions (and everyone has one....); they are neither truthful or untruthful as they aren't facts that can be proved or invalidated.

Reaction Score
I did not know where to post this so this thread mentioning Duke seems OK.

Now that Duke Football has reasserted its dominance maybe Coach K can stiff arm the Clemson, Miami, VT clowns and insist on a UConn ACC invite. Duke FB, now being one of the premier fb teams in the ACC, can exert influence and control.

by George C- living in bizarroworld

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer