Duke AD bullish on ACC channel...New York presence | The Boneyard

Duke AD bullish on ACC channel...New York presence

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
@NicoleAuerbach: Big Ten “clearly became McDonald’s in our industry.” Duke AD compares conferences to fast food chains @DavidTeelatDP: http://post original url/4oiZZuaWfI

Reaction Score
They will both be in NYC for years to come and we will eventually slide off into obsolesence...we aren' t going anywhere anytime soon. I hope im wrong, and Im not trolling for comments... but nothing in the past 6-8 months of following this board and the news on this subject suggests to me otherwise..

Lets just get on with life in the AAC and make the best of it... and hope the D4/P5 scenario plays out... that's our only chance for long term relevance

Reaction Score
Sure, ACC will have a NY presence. They will play in the Pinstripe Bowl, maybe have some basketball tournaments in NYC (but not every year), play some neutral site bball games in NY, and have maybe one neutral site football game at Met Life Stadium every year. So what does that get you? Not much.

As for the ACC Channel, they could do it, but in what markets would they get paid full price for it? Not many, so by definition, it won't be a big money maker. If the ACC Channel had been a LT focus of the ACC, they would have invited UConn and Rutgers, and figured out how to keep Maryland as these are state flagship universities.

Reaction Score
They will both be in NYC for years to come and we will eventually slide off into obsolesence...we aren' t going anywhere anytime soon. I hope im wrong, and Im not trolling for comments... but nothing in the past 6-8 months of following this board and the news on this subject suggests to me otherwise..

Lets just get on with life in the AAC and make the best of it... and hope the D4/P5 scenario plays out... that's our only chance for long term relevance
Drivel.

UConn's presence in NYC depends on maintaining (or exceeding) its current level of success, and continuing to play games in and schedule teams from the tri-state area. The conference situation makes all that tougher, but the NYC presence isn't 100% predicated on being in a power conference.

It's going to be a challenge, sure, but not impossible.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
If the Duke AD is correct about the ACC network being close to fruition by 2016, then that is a good sign for us. BC is deadweight and Syracuse can't carry NYC alone. The ACC may want to pick us up more-so then ever to increase their subscriber fees in NYC/New England. Note that 2016 coincides nicely with the Big Ten network contract negotiations set to begin in 2015. We could have two legitimate suitors. Ultimately, I think that the B1G is content with their current membership and with the ACC and Big 12 GOR's in place will not make a move for another 10 years. My prediction is that we are in the ACC by 2016, predicated by the ACC network becoming a reality. If the ACC never gets off the ground, we are stuck in the American for 10 to 15 years.

Reaction Score
... but nothing in the past 6-8 months of following this board and the news on this subject suggests to me otherwise..

And yet you can't recall even a single specific news item that led to such a strong belief that we're headed nowhere?

Reaction Score
They want a NYC presence, yet they picked Louisville. They should all just shut up. They chose Louisville, now let them choke it down.

Reaction Score
Syracuse will play Notre Dame in East Rithrrford, NJ in 2014...Notre Dame will play Navy in Landover, Maryland in 2014

Reaction Score
Syracuse will play Notre Dame in East Rithrrford, NJ in 2014...Notre Dame will play Navy in Landover, Maryland in 2014
Not sure he point of this. Maryland is not NYC, and East Rutherford is one game?

Reaction Score
Notre Dame also played Army and Navy in East Rutherford 2010 & 2013...I expect games in the future.

I think that some of Notre Dame's home ACC games will be booked on the Shamrock tour...and some will be in New York...

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Notre Dame also played Army and Navy in East Rutherford 2010 & 2013...I expect games in the future.

I think that some of Notre Dame's home ACC games will be booked on the Shamrock tour...and some will be in New York...
Notre Dame is not an ACC football member so when they play games against non-ACC teams in East Rutherford, it doesn't give the ACC a NYC presence. So they could play whoever they want in MetLife and it would mean nothing to the ACC as it would likely be on NBC which, thanks to another sweetheart deal, ND gets to keep all the profits from. Also, I can't see why ND would wanna play a "home" ACC game at MetLife instead of in South Bend.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
A Notre Dame football game is a Notre Dame football game.

If they play Army or Navy at the Meadowlands, New York City is not exactly going to be awash in that ACC vibe - ND isn't an ACC team and as you'll find out, Notre Dame doesn't share.

You're just not denting New York City with a bunch of southern schools.

Reaction Score
And yet you can't recall even a single specific news item that led to such a strong belief that we're headed nowhere?

As a lawyer I like evidence. There has been nothing reported in the national media since Louisville went into the ACC last year tying UCONN to ANY conference other than the AAC. EVERYTHING discussed on the internets is just speculation. Nothing more.

The absence of nothing does not mean there is something.

I have to say I had some satisfaction with AAC going 2-0 against the ACC last night..

Reaction Score
I took some satisfaction in football school FSU killing #10 VCU (85-67) last night.

RMoore1999

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!
Reaction Score
As a lawyer I like evidence. There has been nothing reported in the national media since Louisville went into the ACC last year tying UCONN to ANY conference other than the AAC. EVERYTHING discussed on the internets is just speculation. Nothing more.

I have to say I had some satisfaction with AAC going 2-0 against the ACC last night..

As a lawyer, I prefer to avoid drawing conclusions one way or the other from the media or the "internets" reports. Actually, in my experience, most competently negotiated business transactions are fully-executed and delivered before the internets or the media catch a sniff.

The absence of something does not mean there is nothing....

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A Notre Dame football game is a Notre Dame football game.

If they play Army or Navy at the Meadowlands, New York City is not exactly going to be awash in that ACC vibe - ND isn't an ACC team and as you'll find out, Notre Dame doesn't share.

You're just not denting New York City with a bunch of southern schools.

I'm just putting 2 and 2 together...

1..."“I think you will see that a lot in the future, where we take a game that you would think of as a ‘regular’ game and take that game somewhere as part of the Shamrock Series,” Notre Dame Director of Athletics Jack Swarbrick told the Tribune. “I can certainly anticipate future ACC opponents being opponents in a Shamrock Series game.”

2...If ACC teams will be played in neutral site games..like the Syracuse game in East Rutherford, I could see future matchs sporadically in the NY area....certainly Syracuse matches, maybe others like BC.

Swarbrick..."

"Secondly, the geography is perfect for Notre Dame. We've always had a bit of an eastern orientation. This conference takes us from Boston to Miami, Atlanta, the Carolinas, Pittsburgh, a real New York presence, so it's a great fit for Notre Dame from geographic perspective."

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Not sure what your point is other than demonstrating a willingness to swallow Notre Dame's self-promotion.

Notre Dame has a presence in New York - the ACC doesn't.

If Notre Dame plays Boston College in New Jersey, it's a Notre Dame game as far as the locals are concerned...not an ACC game. That's not changing simply because they have a scheduling agreement with your conference.

Reaction Score
I'm just putting 2 and 2 together...

1..."“I think you will see that a lot in the future, where we take a game that you would think of as a ‘regular’ game and take that game somewhere as part of the Shamrock Series,” Notre Dame Director of Athletics Jack Swarbrick told the Tribune. “I can certainly anticipate future ACC opponents being opponents in a Shamrock Series game.”

2...If ACC teams will be played in neutral site games..like the Syracuse game in East Rutherford, I could see future matchs sporadically in the NY area....certainly Syracuse matches, maybe others like BC.

Swarbrick..."

"Secondly, the geography is perfect for Notre Dame. We've always had a bit of an eastern orientation. This conference takes us from Boston to Miami, Atlanta, the Carolinas, Pittsburgh, a real New York presence, so it's a great fit for Notre Dame from geographic perspective."

Shamrock Series games are by definition Notre Dame home games not played in South Bend. Miami played Notre Dame in one last season at Soldier Field in Chicago. Arizona State played one this season in Dallas. They are on NBC like all the rest of the Notre Dame home games. If Notre Dame wants to play ACC teams in them in New York, that would be great.

I don't envision ACC schools wanting to give up their home games with Notre Dame to go play at a neutral site. But I can see it if it's a Notre Dame home game.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame is not an ACC football member so when they play games against non-ACC teams in East Rutherford, it doesn't give the ACC a NYC presence. So they could play whoever they want in MetLife and it would mean nothing to the ACC as it would likely be on NBC which, thanks to another sweetheart deal, ND gets to keep all the profits from. Also, I can't see why ND would wanna play a "home" ACC game at MetLife instead of in South Bend.

Notre Dame plays one home game per year at a neutral site. They played Miami in one last year in Chicago. They played Arizona State in one this year in Dallas, and I think Navy in one a couple of years ago in Ireland. That may have been a Navy home game. Regardless, it's not inconceivable that another ACC school could play one in the Meadowlands in the future.

Why Notre Dame likes giving up one of its home games to do this every year is a question for them, but they have been doing it and calling it the Shamrock Series.

Reaction Score

I've heard that Notre Dame has already approached Louisville about doing one in Indianapolis. That's not New York, but another one could easily be in New York.

Reaction Score
@NicoleAuerbach: Big Ten “clearly became McDonald’s in our industry.” Duke AD compares conferences to fast food chains @DavidTeelatDP: http://post original url/4oiZZuaWfI
Power conferences are like fast food chains? Another good reason to stop watching them. Fattening.

Reaction Score

Prior to Pitt, Syracuse to ACC, any media reporting?

Prior to Rutty, UMd to B1G, any reports in the media?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom