2022 Recruiting: - Donovan Clingan | Page 6 | The Boneyard

2022 Recruiting: Donovan Clingan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If I'm not mistaken, any Connecticut high school student can attend any public high school. All they have to do is pay the city per pupil expenditure.
Uconn women's player Maria Conlon lived in Derby while she played for Seymour high school.
While that might be true, I don't know the rules in CT, I'm pretty sure public schools can't recruit players. So say the East Hartford coach tried getting the best players from Hartford and Windsor to go to East Hartford HS, I'm pretty sure that's not allowed. East Catholic, however, could do that.

Reaction Score
If I'm not mistaken, any Connecticut high school student can attend any public high school. All they have to do is pay the city per pupil expenditure.
Uconn women's player Maria Conlon lived in Derby while she played for Seymour high school.
I'm pretty sure that is not true. Students can attend other schools through a process it's not as simple as just choosing to do so.

Reaction Score
While that might be true, I don't know the rules in CT, I'm pretty sure public schools can't recruit players. So say the East Hartford coach tried getting the best players from Hartford and Windsor to go to East Hartford HS, I'm pretty sure that's not allowed. East Catholic, however, could do that.

Mostly unrelated... but the East Hartford HS coach is actually former UConn basketball walk-on Javon Williams.

And yeah, the difference is basically no one actually does that. When Kenny Smith wants a kid from South Windsor to play for him they aren't paying the per-pupil expenditure for that town. They just claim to have some family member in Windsor that they are now "living with."

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
this is a wild blanket statement. I was involved in the sports programs in my town for 10+ years and I know for a fact that they never recruited anyone.
It happens at LL schools mainly.

Reaction Score
In Mass there's school choice for public schools, but the district has to opt in. Don't see it affect athletics too often, although there was a girl's soccer program for years that had club teammates from all over playing for same school through choice.

Reaction Score
He wanted to but coach Reilly and EC didn't want him.
So you are saying that Luke Reilly can reject an all state player who wants to play for him? And honestly tell me he doesn't recruit? I bet there were lots of coaches who know Luke who celebrated mightily when they lost.

Reaction Score
He does recruit. I know he does. I've been in the room while he does it. He uses the Middlesex Magic team he has as a recruiting tool... I know a uber-talented player who tried out for the team, but didn't want to go to EC as a sophomore. Reilly told him he wouldn't take him on the AAU team unless he went to EC.

My understanding with Curtis is that Reilly didn't like his attitude/defense, and didn't think he would fit in well with their culture at EC. No idea how true that is--all second hand info. But Curtis definitely thought wanted to go to EC and didn't... who knows what it was. Could've been grades or something else too.
Doubt it was grades his dad's the superintendent for simsbury

Reaction Score
Some public school districts allow it, some do not.

Reaction Score
It happens at LL schools mainly.
I coached at a public school in CT for 11 years (class L) and can assure you we never recruited. We got the players that showed up on the first day of school. And there were times that kids we were expecting suddenly decided to attend the private school in our area. Did not have to wonder how that happened.

Reaction Score
Some public school districts allow it, some do not.
Really? Where? I know in MA it is not allowed and is a very serious offense. Although I'm sure it does occur since there's always a way around almost everything.

Reaction Score
I believe at one point it was called Stamford Catholic...same place.
It was Stamford Catholic when Rash arrived in 1991, and it was Trinity Catholic by the time he graduated in 1995. In my lifetime, only Stamford High’s Ernie Cobb (of BC point shaving scandal fame) was a better high school player in this city.

Reaction Score
this is a wild blanket statement. I was involved in the sports programs in my town for 10+ years and I know for a fact that they never recruited anyone.

happen in publics - at least in NYS it does and boy its dumb.

Reaction Score
East took them to OT and down to the wire which speaks volumes about how you good they are. Going up against 7 footer is no easy task in HS let alone college. Can’t believe the kids are playing with masks on. That’s some dedication.

Reaction Score
I know for a fact some public schools in New Haven recruit new haven kids cough hillhouse cough

Reaction Score
Coaches at public schools absolutely talk to parents and build relationships at AAU tournaments and camps all the time. They don’t call it “recruiting” but they’re definitely “politicking”.

Reaction Score
It was Stamford Catholic when Rash arrived in 1991, and it was Trinity Catholic by the time he graduated in 1995. In my lifetime, only Stamford High’s Ernie Cobb (of BC point shaving scandal fame) was a better high school player in this city.
I just googled the school and it did not open for the 20-21 academic year.

Is this really Karsten Kibbe!

Reaction Score
Rashamel Jones lived in NY and commuted to Stamford Catholic back in the day.
UCONN Hoop Legends: RASHAMEL JONES

"One day in the spring of the eighth grade, Rash’s gym teacher asked him what his plans were for high school. Having grown up in Mount Vernon, New York, Rash said he’d probably go to Mount Vernon or Port Chester High School. Rash’s gym teacher went on to tell him that he had accepted a new job as head football coach at Trinity Catholic High School in Stamford, Connecticut, and wanted to take Rash with him to play on his team. Rash visited Trinity Catholic with his teacher and while there he saw the varsity basketball team practicing. The basketball coach asked Rash if he wanted to join the team for the practice. Rash ended up practicing, and was able to dunk the basketball on Trinity’s player who played center position. Trinity’s basketball coach was pretty impressed, and invited Rash to Trinity to play for his team. The basketball coach talked to Rash’s father, and they left the decision up to Rash. “I said yeah I wanted to give it a shot, and it was the best decision I had made at that time of my life. It just opened up so many doors for me.”"

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
I played hs ball in Ct. When my parents considered enrolling me in the neighboring towns school, folks got wind of this and threatened to report us. At that time you would have thought my household was committing a treasonable offense.

Reaction Score
It was a long, long time ago, but back in the late 50's, everyone knew Dave Hicks in New Haven was going to be a HS super star while he was still in junior high. Red Verderame (Wilbur Cross) and Sam Bender (Hillhouse) worked hard on securing him as a student. In the Summer after 9th grade the HS districts were mysteriously redrawn and in a complete surprise to everyone (except Verderame) Hicks attended Wilbur Cross as his home ended up in a gerrymandered district.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom