2022 Recruiting: - Donovan Clingan | Page 4 | The Boneyard

2022 Recruiting: Donovan Clingan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
How does he do against good players of similar size?

Even the NBA only has maybe 6 or 7 guys his size.

But honestly, he's just never really played anyone talented that's 6'10+ like the bigs will be in college usually. He certainly isn't getting that competition in HS, and his AAU team doesn't play on one of the top circuits either.

Reaction Score
Even the NBA only has maybe 6 or 7 guys his size.

But honestly, he's just never really played anyone talented that's 6'10+ like the bigs will be in college usually. He certainly isn't getting that competition in HS, and his AAU team doesn't play on one of the top circuits either.
Only guy around his height I've seen him play against was Isaiah Miranda but Clingan probably had him by 2 inches and 60 lbs.

Reaction Score
Only guy around his height I've seen him play against was Isaiah Miranda but Clingan probably had him by 2 inches and 60 lbs.

RI elite kid? Wears glasses? He's pretty talented--I think uconn has reached out.

I coach the 2023 group in aau so I will know many of the northeast kids we recruit.

How did Clingan look in that matchup?

Reaction Score
RI elite kid? Wears glasses? He's pretty talented--I think uconn has reached out.

I coach the 2023 group in aau so I will know many of the northeast kids we recruit.

How did Clingan look in that matchup?
Good, way too big for Miranda. I think Clingan is underrated, I think the people who do the rankings don't know how to rank him because of the competition.

That Miranda kid seems like a prospect to keep an eye on.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
How does he do against good players of similar size?
Season 4 Episode 10 GIF by The Office

I'd like to see him in a game vs Chet Holmgren for sure.

Reaction Score
I was at the game tonight. BC was in control for about 2/12 qtrs up by around 20, then what there was of a crowd energized East Catholic and they stormed back and forced OT. Had the lead but couldn't put it away at the foul line, then BC found Clingan for the game-winning hoop in the final seconds.

Having a big man like that (especially at the high school level) just changes the game. Everytime he gets the ball defenders are forced to swarm him with double & triple teams. That last play there were 3 guys on him and he still scored.

Reaction Score
I was at the game tonight. BC was in control for about 2/12 qtrs up by around 20, then what there was of a crowd energized East Catholic and they stormed back and forced OT. Had the lead but couldn't put it away at the foul line, then BC found Clingan for the game-winning hoop in the final seconds.

Having a big man like that (especially at the high school level) just changes the game. Everytime he gets the ball defenders are forced to swarm him with double & triple teams. That last play there were 3 guys on him and he still scored.

What a pleasure to see a big man catch high, keep the ball high, and turn and put it in..............let's hope he keeps it up when he's playing here.

Reaction Score
Clingan has 4 fouls with 5 minutes left right now. Bristol up 7.

I really, really hope EC loses. I hate that they're allowed to play in a public school league. It's fricking stupid.
Disagree here. What’s wrong with having a powerhouse that’s a Catholic school? Coach Reilly develops his players and coaches better than almost anyone out there. If you really look at the roster it doesn’t scream “prep school league”. There’s something to be said for a good program that kids want to play for.

Edit: I realize now that you said public school league and not prep. But what’s the difference between them and St. Paul or Northwest?

Reaction Score
Disagree here. What’s wrong with having a powerhouse that’s a Catholic school? Coach Reilly develops his players and coaches better than almost anyone out there. If you really look at the roster it doesn’t scream “prep school league”. There’s something to be said for a good program that kids want to play for.

Edit: I realize now that you said public school league and not prep. But what’s the difference between them and St. Paul or Northwest?

The difference is they recruit better and it creates an unfair advantage.

Reaction Score

I would like to know how Matt Curtiss who lives in Ellington goes to Northwest. I thought the enrollment at the Catholic high schools was based on geography? FYI, I am an East Catholic alum.

Reaction Score
I would like to know how Matt Curtiss who lives in Ellington goes to Northwest. I thought the enrollment at the Catholic high schools was based on geography? FYI, I am an East Catholic alum.
He probably wants to play for a good coach and program without having to live on some prep school campus in the woods as a high schooler.

Reaction Score
So good to see a home grown stay home and not get unfairly recruited away. DC stay home at UCoñn so we Ct people can enjoy your play.

Reaction Score
I don't think geography has anything to do with enrollment at Catholic schools other than how far someone wants to commute.

Could he go the Andrew Bynum route.

Reaction Score
The difference is they recruit better and it creates an unfair advantage.
Or these kids want to play for a good coach and program and give themselves a better shot at making it to the next level. I don’t think EC does any “recruiting”...the program speaks for itself and kids are lining up to play there.

Reaction Score
Or these kids want to play for a good coach and program and give themselves a better shot at making it to the next level. I don’t think EC does any “recruiting”...the program speaks for itself and kids are lining up to play there.
No one is dissing the program or questioning why kids want to play there. They are just saying it’s an unfair advantage because you practically have an AAU team playing against rec teams (for comparison purposes). All of the catholic/private schools in my area play in their own league. But if there’s not enough other private schools within a close area there’s probably not much they can do.

Either way: Happy for DC and glad to see him get the win!

Reaction Score
No one is dissing the program or questioning why kids want to play there. They are just saying it’s an unfair advantage because you practically have an AAU team playing against rec teams (for comparison purposes). All of the catholic/private schools in my area play in their own league. But if there’s not enough other private schools within a close area there’s probably not much they can do.

Either way: Happy for DC and glad to see him get the win!
Yes I understand the reasonings that people might not like it. My personal opinion is that isn’t a bad thing - go out and beat them like DC did or stop complaining.

Reaction Score
Yes I understand the reasonings that people might not like it. My personal opinion is that isn’t a bad thing - go out and beat them like DC did or stop complaining.
Yup. Even among leagues of public schools there are going to be advantages/disadvantages. There is a high school in my area that is about triple the size of all the other high schools. Needless to say they win everything. Not much can be done about it.

Reaction Score
He probably wants to play for a good coach and program without having to live on some prep school campus in the woods as a high schooler.
Shouldn't he have gone to East, being from Ellington?

Reaction Score

EC Northwest St. Paul Sacred heart etc. should have their own conference in the CIAC if they want to stay. Public school is public school and private is private. It's unfair for everyone else involved when some schools can "recruit" and others can't. Other than Windsor, most years every kid at a D1 ciac school might as well not show up to the state tournament as it stands.

Reaction Score

So unless you have a homegrown 7'2 monster who happens to want to stay in town for high school, you can't be competitive with east. That makes sense.

EC has an unfair advantage over everyone else. They are a PRIVATE school playing PUBLIC schools. It doesn't even make sense from the start.

Reaction Score
That's kind of the point, isn't it? If there's a really good player who lives in East Hartford, but wants to play for the Manchester HS coach, he can't. He'd have to move to Manchester. But he could play for East Catholic.

The Catholic high schools should have their own league. We have the same issue with St. John's High School in Shrewsbury, MA. They recruit all over Central MA including getting most of the best players out of Worcester. They play mostly public schools and play in the state tournament with public high schools. It doesn't make any sense to me. They absolutely have an unfair advantage over public high schools.

Reaction Score
That's kind of the point, isn't it? If there's a really good player who lives in East Hartford, but wants to play for the Manchester HS coach, he can't. He'd have to move to Manchester. But he could play for East Catholic.

The Catholic high schools should have their own league. We have the same issue with St. John's High School in Shrewsbury, MA. They recruit all over Central MA including getting most of the best players out of Worcester. They play mostly public schools and play in the state tournament with public high schools. It doesn't make any sense to me. They absolutely have an unfair advantage over public high schools.

Yup and so should have their own league... not equal

Reaction Score
You can go to any one if you can get there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01