2022 Recruiting: - Donovan Clingan | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2022 Recruiting: Donovan Clingan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Michigan and USC are still playing but a true center isn't necessary. Like I said before, if we paired up Sanogo with Kofi, Dickinson, Mobley, we'd still be playing.

There are far less good scoring bigs around than there are wings. Not everyone will get a chance to land one and one of the reasons why the game has evolved today. A space-eater with no offense has very little role in the game today since all 5 positions has the potential to score from anywhere on the court.

With this being said, if we fail to land a good scoring big that can have an impact as freshman, our staff should be loading up on big shooters and ball handlers. We can no longer shoot 3 for 40 something from beyond the arc over a stretch of 3 games with our key players and expect to make an impact in the tournament.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
highest usage "C" on notable sweet 16 teams:

Bama- herb jones- 6'8 220
Oregon- eugene omoruyi- 6'6 230
Creighton- christian bishop- 6'7 220
UCLA- cody riley- 6'9 225
Oregon St- warith alitishe- 6'7 200
Arkansas- justin smith- 6'7 230
Houston- justin gorham- 6'7 225
Syracuse- marek dolezaj- 6'10 200
Oral Roberts- kevin obanor- 6'8 225
*Maryland- donta scott- 6'7 225

thought it was interesting the average size for the big that plays the most mpg on these teams is around 6'7 225. that's smaller than whaley so a giant like clingan or sanogo isnt necessary by any means. in fact these guys would have all been terrible mismatches for us e.g. donta scott

Did you omit USC 7' and Gonzaga 6'10" for some particular reason? Most teams can't recruit skilled bigs. Sanogo is only 6'9".

Reaction Score
Did you omit USC 7' and Gonzaga 6'10" for some particular reason? Most teams can't recruit skilled bigs. Sanogo is only 6'9".
sanogo definitely qualifies as a traditional C at 6'9 245 with no outside game or ability to guard on the perimeter

but i was highlighting the fact that there's more than 1 way to skin a cat.

the majority of teams in the sweet 16 play a small ball C around 6'7 225, which implies the other teams not listed play a traditional center...

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
yes i was highlighting the fact that the majority of teams in the sweet 16 play a small ball C around 6'7 225, which implies the other teams not listed play a traditional center... there's more than 1 way to skin a cat.

sanogo definitely qualifies as a traditional C at 6'9 245 with no outside game.

Yeah, but your math is a bit challenged. Even on your list only one is smaller than 6'7" and four are taller. Add Michigan, Gonzaga, Loyola and USC and the average is more like 6'9".

I agree you don't "have to" have one. Illinois proved that years ago. What I disagree with are all the people who say it is undesirable to have one. I think quite a lot of teams will want Clingan. A true center is an advantage, not a disadvantage. A super skilled one like Mobley is an even bigger advantage.

There isn't any reason big guys can't shoot. Bill Laimbeer certainly made a good living doing it.

Reaction Score
Yeah, but your math is a bit challenged. Even on your list only one is smaller than 6'7" and four are taller. Add Michigan, Gonzaga, Loyola and USC and the average is more like 6'9".

I agree you don't "have to" have one. Illinois proved that years ago. What I disagree with are all the people who say it is undesirable to have one. I think quite a lot of teams will want Clingan. A true center is an advantage, not a disadvantage. A super skilled one like Mobley is an even bigger advantage.

There isn't any reason big guys can't shoot. Bill Laimbeer certainly made a good living doing it.
i gave you the measurements of the small ball bigs playing in the sweet 16 teams and came to a conclusion that isnt controversial at all....do with it what you will. and no i didnt sit here calculating the exact averages of their body measurements call it the median height.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
sanogo definitely qualifies as a traditional C at 6'9 245 with no outside game or ability to guard on the perimeter

the majority of teams in the sweet 16 play a small ball C around 6'7 225, which implies the other teams not listed play a traditional center...
You left out all the big centers with low post games who are still playing and out of the centers you listed Bishop, Riley, Smith, Dolezaj have no outside games. Donta Scott isn't playing in the sweet 16 and Warithe Tishe isn't Oregon State's center Silva is, he's 7'1 265 with no outside game.

Reaction Score
You left out all the big centers with low post games who are still playing and out of the centers you listed Bishop, Riley, Smith, Dolezaj have no outside games. Donta Scott isn't playing in the sweet 16 and Warithe Tishe isn't Oregon State's center Silva is, he's 7'1 265 with no outside game.
that's what the asterisk was for next to maryland. silva isnt in oregon states top 5 in minutes. the only point i was making is most of the sweet 16 teams have small Centers so a giant isnt necessary. take or leave it but dont criticize me for points i wasnt intending to convey

Reaction Score
that's what the asterisk was for next to maryland. silva isnt in oregon states top 5 in minutes. the only point i was making is most of the sweet 16 teams have small Centers so a giant isnt necessary. take or leave it but dont criticize me for points i wasnt intending to convey
I don't understand what point you are trying to make, that some of the centers who are still playing are an inch shorter than Sanogo? That all the ones you listed are a lot shorter than Clingan? Clingan would be one of the handful of largest human beings in the NBA so that goes without saying.

Reaction Score
I don't understand what point you are trying to make, that some of the centers who are still playing are an inch shorter than Sanogo? That all the ones you listed are a lot shorter than Clingan? Clingan would be one of the handful of largest human beings in the NBA so that goes without saying.
an inch or 2 is a lot and often the difference between blocking a shot or deflecting a pass. but as i already said:
just pointing out they werent pretty necessary for the majority of sweet 16 teams and i foresee bama and houston both making the final 4 with their small ball lineups. (also bracing for clingan wearing maize and blue on his favorite team)
i passed along something i thought was interesting. you obviously didnt. take it or leave it for once dont beat it to death.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
One of our biggest issues is that our bigs are only bigs. They have no versatility. When was the last time we had someone who could step out and create as well as work in the post? Scott on Maryland killed us for that exact reason. All these good teams have a versatile 4/5. That’s why I would love Mitchell. Having a player like that opens up the offense so so so much more. Our lanes were clogged because we had no shooters and no inside out threat.

Reaction Score
One of our biggest issues is that our bigs are only bigs. They have no versatility. When was the last time we had someone who could step out and create as well as work in the post? Scott on Maryland killed us for that exact reason. All these good teams have a versatile 4/5. That’s why I would love Mitchell. Having a player like that opens up the offense so so so much more. Our lanes were clogged because we had no shooters and no inside out threat.
Who is Mitchell?

Reaction Score
No wonder Oral Roberts is playing so well, they have a certified giant on their team.
They also have a good coach. Same with Loyola. Those guys will eventually end up in a power conference like the Buffalo/Alabama coach did.

Reaction Score

Its crazy because like 30 years ago i had a neighbor who was a huge hoops fan and he predicted all of this to a tee. He said eventually the 3 point shot would take over the game and that youd have a bunch of 6`8 guys while the big guys would be rarer. Only thing he didnt get right was the 7 footers shooting 3s being a thing.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Its crazy because like 30 years ago i had a neighbor who was a huge hoops fan and he predicted all of this to a tee. He said eventually the 3 point shot would take over the game and that youd have a bunch of 6`8 guys while the big guys would be rarer. Only thing he didnt get right was the 7 footers shooting 3s being a thing.
He was obviously a math guy.

Reaction Score
He isn't at UConn's level. Plays in the same league as Clingan. He'll go low-major somewhere and kill it where he can take 20 shots a game with impunity as an upperclassmen.
Rutgers along with other high level d-1 schools have been in contact with curtis. Im friends with a guy who was best man in his father's wedding I'll probably see him in the next week and get an update

Reaction Score
Reaction Score

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Man, this kid starts hitting threes with some consistency and the ski is the limit.
If he is able to stretch the floor at his size then I’ll have a lot of crow to eat….that’s a big if.

Reaction Score
I sure hope he comes here, but I wouldn’t if I were him. Once again Hurley went small against a 5 out team last night, putting one of our best players on the bench. Until he shows he knows how to play defense with a real center against a small team, I don’t know why any center would come to UConn.

Watched KU against a big that put up 35 points, mostly outside, and McCormack stayed a few feet off the line to protect the rim. Can’t send rim protectors to close out or hard hedge outside. You just cannot. It wastes what they bring to your team. Benching them is an even worse strategy. Play a zone to shut that 5 out down.
For sure this has been a mystery all season for this team. Many times I thought a switch to a zone for a couple of minutes might have helped especially with the backing down of our smaller guards. This also creates a change for the opponent. Their guards now have to go through two defensive players. We just stuck with the same defense it seemed much to long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom