2022 Recruiting: - Donovan Clingan | The Boneyard

2022 Recruiting: Donovan Clingan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I've always wondered how any 7 footer doesn't score 40+ points a game in most high school leagues whose tallest player is usually 6'4". Not talking about AAU, just high school. I'd be like, "Feed me the ball inside every play." Dunk or putback all game long.

Reaction Score
I've always wondered how any 7 footer doesn't score 40+ points a game in most high school leagues whose tallest player is usually 6'4". Not talking about AAU, just high school. I'd be like, "Feed me the ball inside every play." Dunk or putback all game long.
They struggle a ton feeding him the ball down low. A lot of times when I saw him they moved him out to the free throw line, players would crowd around him and he would pass it to the open guy for a layup.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I would assume he wants his teammates to stay involved. That and his conditioning probably needs work.

Reaction Score
I agree, puzzling. He does pass well and wants to keep his teammates involved

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I sure hope he comes here, but I wouldn’t if I were him. Once again Hurley went small against a 5 out team last night, putting one of our best players on the bench. Until he shows he knows how to play defense with a real center against a small team, I don’t know why any center would come to UConn.

Watched KU against a big that put up 35 points, mostly outside, and McCormack stayed a few feet off the line to protect the rim. Can’t send rim protectors to close out or hard hedge outside. You just cannot. It wastes what they bring to your team. Benching them is an even worse strategy. Play a zone to shut that 5 out down.

Reaction Score

I'd assume he's double or even triple-teamed before he even touches the ball. He probably sees a lot of zone and a lot of junk defenses.

Reaction Score
Guards probably don't do a good job feeding the post.

Reaction Score
The next steps in Clingan’s development are expanding his offensive repertoire and adding muscle to his frame.

“Expanding my shot behind the 3-point line, knocking down threes,” Clingan said. “Getting stronger, so I can establish position on the block and rebound and box out and take my body to the next level. Post moves, finishing with both hands. Finishing strong, finishing through contact. … (I’m practicing those skills) every day, every weekend, every morning.”

Reaction Score
maybe we can take a chance on a kid like this .... local, great shooter, good size.
Matt Curtis

He isn't at UConn's level. Plays in the same league as Clingan. He'll go low-major somewhere and kill it where he can take 20 shots a game with impunity as an upperclassmen.

Reaction Score
He isn't at UConn's level. Plays in the same league as Clingan. He'll go low-major somewhere and kill it where he can take 20 shots a game with impunity as an upperclassmen.

FWIW I think he already has an offer from Cuse.

Reaction Score
FWIW I think he already has an offer from Cuse.

He does not unless you know something that isn't public. Offers are from Bryant, UMass, Fairfield, Hartford and some other low/mid major I can't think of.

If I recall he has a Rutgers offer too as his best offer.

People have said he has had interest from UConn, Cuse and others though. Hard to know the veracity without an actual offer though.

Reaction Score
I sure hope he comes here, but I wouldn’t if I were him. Once again Hurley went small against a 5 out team last night, putting one of our best players on the bench. Until he shows he knows how to play defense with a real center against a small team, I don’t know why any center would come to UConn.

Watched KU against a big that put up 35 points, mostly outside, and McCormack stayed a few feet off the line to protect the rim. Can’t send rim protectors to close out or hard hedge outside. You just cannot. It wastes what they bring to your team. Benching them is an even worse strategy. Play a zone to shut that 5 out down.
Alabama also went small against Maryland (Jordan Bruner played 2 minutes where he usually plays 20). It makes sense and teams are going to do it where applicable. The issue with pulling Sanogo this year was that the team got worse when he was out even against small ball teams. It’s not like we had a sure fire replacement for him.

Reaction Score
highest usage "C" on notable sweet 16 teams:

Bama- herb jones- 6'8 220
Oregon- eugene omoruyi- 6'6 230
Creighton- christian bishop- 6'7 220
UCLA- cody riley- 6'9 225
Oregon St- warith alitishe- 6'7 200
Arkansas- justin smith- 6'7 230
Houston- justin gorham- 6'7 225
Syracuse- marek dolezaj- 6'10 200
Oral Roberts- kevin obanor- 6'8 225
*Maryland- donta scott- 6'7 225

thought it was interesting the average size for the big that plays the most mpg on these teams is around 6'7 225. that's smaller than whaley so a giant like clingan or sanogo isnt necessary by any means. in fact these guys would have been terrible mismatches for us e.g. donta scott

Last edited:

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score

Oral Roberts- kevin obanor- 8'8 225

just thought it was interesting the average size for a "C" on these teams is around 6'7 225. a giant like clingan isnt absolutely necessary by any means
No wonder Oral Roberts is playing so well, they have a certified giant on their team.

Reaction Score

Oral Roberts- kevin obanor- 8'8 225

thought it was interesting the average size for the big that plays the most mpg on these teams is around 6'7 225. that's about whaley's size so a giant like clingan or sanogo isnt absolutely necessary by any means. in fact these guys would have all been terrible mismatches for us e.g. donta scott
When you have a 7'2 beast playing in your backyard I think it's pretty necessary to get him. Dickinson and Kofi have been pretty necessary 7 foot beasts for Michigan and Illinois.

Reaction Score
When you have a 7'2 beast playing in your backyard I think it's pretty necessary to get him. Dickinson and Kofi have been pretty necessary 7 foot beasts for Michigan and Illinois.
just pointing out they werent pretty necessary for the majority of sweet 16 teams and i foresee bama and houston both making the final 4 with their small ball lineups. (also bracing for clingan wearing maize and blue on his favorite team)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32