Donovan Clingan commits to UConn | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Donovan Clingan commits to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The guys complaining don't understand two things

1) he's literally half a foot taller than both our current centers. Being that humongous is an asset in itself. There are only a couple NBA players taller. He will be 4-5 inches taller than just about ever center he plays in college too.

2) the bigger the player the longer they take to develop. At 7'2 if he WASN'T a projecr he'd he at UK, Duke or the NBA. We got very lucky here.
Javonte Brown Ferguson was 7-1 and in the few minutes we saw him play, it was pretty electric. He hardly had to jump to dunk. So excited to see Clingan.

Reaction Score
Great podcast discussing his commitment. Interesting point is that his NIL value is highest in CT.

As an aside...can HS kids get NIL or does that screw up their eligibikity?

The UConn blog
I think it depends on the HS league/school they play in. I don’t believe it impacts any college eligibility.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The cycle of recruiting life. When JC arrived, he had to recruit nationally because UConn wasn't yet equipped to go toe-to-toe with the local powers. Now UConn is the local power and doesn't need to recruit nationally to get players.

Reaction Score
I don't want to be that guy, just watched his highlights for the first time playing against New Britain (I think?) and he has so much work to do. I'm honestly not sure why he's ranked as highly as he is besides the fact that he's 7'1. He may be even rawer than Javonte Brown. The fact he's playing in LL and doesn't look dominant on tape when his competition is probably 6'4 maybe 6'6 if the team is lucky at the most is concerning.
Oh, but you are that guy!

Reaction Score
Soooo he's a bigger Tyler Olander? I'm hoping the staff can coach him up to be a productive player for us.

There’s nothing wrong with discussing a player’s flaws but to clog up the commitment thread of a kid people have been following for years with stuff like this just screams “I need attention.” It’s really clownish and sort of perfectly Boneyard.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
I don't want to be that guy, just watched his highlights for the first time playing against New Britain (I think?) and he has so much work to do. I'm honestly not sure why he's ranked as highly as he is besides the fact that he's 7'1. He may be even rawer than Javonte Brown. The fact he's playing in LL and doesn't look dominant on tape when his competition is probably 6'4 maybe 6'6 if the team is lucky at the most is concerning.
It’s too late to join this side. Where was this take when I was saying it a year ago

Reaction Score
I do think the Boneyard has to be careful though - I'm getting Ferrari in the garage vibes. Clingan obviously doesn't suck. But seeing Jokic comparisons... I'd be happy with a Matt Haarms impact (although I'm pretty sure Clingan is a much prospect).
Sure there are some super optimists but I think most of the yard has been filled with reasonable takes for a kid of his size and potential. People are excited to watch him develop and hopefully have a good career.

Reaction Score
It’s like you don’t know us at all. The best players are always the ones who haven’t played a game for us.

Independent of his size and skills, as I said during his recruitment, Donovan it’s just a good kid. We are going to love having him around for four years.
7’2”. You think we have him for 4 years? I would sign up for 3 today.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Recruiting is about projecting. With Donovan, the first things that are obvious are the height, the basketball IQ and the good footwork. When you get into the person and family, you see a great foundation and upside. Bigs take longer to develop, he isn't redshirt material and the fact that a Juwan Howard wanted him, tells me we got a good one.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score

Attachments

• WARRIOR-OBIT-superJumbo.jpg
    WARRIOR-OBIT-superJumbo.jpg
    298.7 KB · Views: 73
Reaction Score
Just a couple points.

Give me a big that holds position, rebounds, passes, sets screens, and makes free throws. We won a National Championship with Voskuhl just playing to strengths that complimented team play with other athletes.

With years to improve, Clingan's highlights show he can make moves and finish around the basket, he can make an occasional 3, and he can pass. We aren't evaluating a finished product, so I'll take what he can do now is a great starting point in my view.

Clingan has said when he was 6'7 to 6'8 he was an 80% foul shooter. He takes pride at the line in respect to his mother who stressed foul shooting. With his last growth spirt his release point changed and he is trying and will find his way back to high FT %. He hates missing free throws and will get to the line a bunch.

Belittling being the best player in the CIAC is looking to find fault. In Pittsburgh with a huge number of other top highly ranked prospects, he was MVP of the whole deal. Why shouldn't that accolade stand for potential. He might not be as dominate vs certain team matchups and styles, but being MVP from the center position vs all other bigs, and all the top guards with the ball in their hands, is an actual accomplishment that says potential, not redshirt.

As a teammate others will get open when he is double teamed and Clingan will find them cutting or spotting up.

The downside initially will be getting 2 quick fouls because of contact with small guys bouncing off him, and, because he likely will reach when quicker guys are near him. Sanogo couldn't stay in the game early in the season, and that will be true until Clingan develops. Hurley will have to keep him in the paint defensively which is contrary to Hurley's DNA. An off the ball rim protector like Akok is something that Clingan will suffer early on until his game grows.

My views are somewhat shaped by other players like Hunter Dickenson, Big Country, Pittsnogle, Azebuke, The Morris Mountain, etc. There is no reason to believe that he will not be as impactful in his own mix of ways. All these guys had some shortcomings that needed to be overcome by coaching schemes, and, strengths to be exploited. I do expect a rough start until conditioning is top notch, fouling is controlled, and he learns how to deal with the speed and leaping ability of other 6'10 and taller rim protectors.

I should also say at Hoophall I watched guard Doron Lamb prevent top rated Ohio State/NBA bound Jared Sullinger from scoring even 1 basket in a whole game. He got 1 point from the line in the last minute of the game but couldn't deal with the quick hands and quickness of a smaller player. It happens to good players.

Now it will be up to the staff to make him the best Donovan Clingan he can be.

Quote Reply
Report Edit
Nice capsule viewpoint on a 16 year old kid with a year of HS left.
Some here apparently believe he should be a finished product when he arrives on campus. He isn't, but shows lots of upside, especially when the strength and conditioning aspect catches up.

We haven't had a 5 who is not only a good interior passer but also looks down the floor as soon as he gets a rebound for a while. If he does that from day one, expect lots of roars from the crowd as AJ and others dunk on the run.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We haven't had a 5 who is not only a good interior passer but also looks down the floor as soon as he gets a rebound for a while. If he does that from day one, expect lots of roars from the crowd as AJ and others dunk on the run.
As we are currently configured, this team is built to run. Donovan would enhance that.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Nope. This is not you being persecuted for being honest.

Saying that a big needs a lot of development to have an impact? Sure. That’s true for all but at most a handful of bigs a year. But actually wondering if the young man will have a D-1 impact? Yeah, that’s reasonable. Because ithe odds are good that you have your pulse on limitations that the coaching staffs at Michigan, Syracuse, Ohio State and UConn all missed.

Or, you thinking that you have your pulse on limitations that the staffs of at least four normally ranked programs missed is such a ludicrous proposition that maybe you’d show restraint in sharing that “opinion.” Even if it is an honest one.
I feel most coaching staffs have confidence enough in their coaching to be able to develop a 7’1 guy no matter how raw. Like we did with Javonte and Amida over the years except they were a little more athletic and neither were top 75 players. I’m not saying he won’t have an impact, but it certainly won’t be instantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom