Donovan Clingan commits to UConn | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Donovan Clingan commits to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Pulling in Clingan is huge....if for none other reason than for saving us from the psychological damage had such a talented kid decided to leave the state and pass on the momentum Hurley has building.

Excited to see what happens next.
And now he can point to Karaban and say if you commit you will be creating the #1 recruiting class in the country

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
If Tyler Olander had Clingan’s size, he would have been a very strong college player.

This.

Tyler could’ve balled at some mid major and been a reasonably good college player like his brother

But if he had his brothers size (or DC’s) our view of him would be wildly different

Reaction Score
Just a couple points.

Give me a big that holds position, rebounds, passes, sets screens, and makes free throws. We won a National Championship with Voskuhl just playing to strengths that complimented team play with other athletes.

With years to improve, Clingan's highlights show he can make moves and finish around the basket, he can make an occasional 3, and he can pass. We aren't evaluating a finished product, so I'll take what he can do now is a great starting point in my view.

Clingan has said when he was 6'7 to 6'8 he was an 80% foul shooter. He takes pride at the line in respect to his mother who stressed foul shooting. With his last growth spirt his release point changed and he is trying and will find his way back to high FT %. He hates missing free throws and will get to the line a bunch.

Belittling being the best player in the CIAC is looking to find fault. In Pittsburgh with a huge number of other top highly ranked prospects, he was MVP of the whole deal. Why shouldn't that accolade stand for potential. He might not be as dominate vs certain team matchups and styles, but being MVP from the center position vs all other bigs, and all the top guards with the ball in their hands, is an actual accomplishment that says potential, not redshirt.

As a teammate others will get open when he is double teamed and Clingan will find them cutting or spotting up.

The downside initially will be getting 2 quick fouls because of contact with small guys bouncing off him, and, because he likely will reach when quicker guys are near him. Sanogo couldn't stay in the game early in the season, and that will be true until Clingan develops. Hurley will have to keep him in the paint defensively which is contrary to Hurley's DNA. An off the ball rim protector like Akok is something that Clingan will suffer early on until his game grows.

My views are somewhat shaped by other players like Hunter Dickenson, Big Country, Pittsnogle, Azebuke, The Morris Mountain, etc. There is no reason to believe that he will not be as impactful in his own mix of ways. All these guys had some shortcomings that needed to be overcome by coaching schemes, and, strengths to be exploited. I do expect a rough start until conditioning is top notch, fouling is controlled, and he learns how to deal with the speed and leaping ability of other 6'10 and taller rim protectors.

I should also say at Hoophall I watched guard Doron Lamb prevent top rated Ohio State/NBA bound Jared Sullinger from scoring even 1 basket in a whole game. He got 1 point from the line in the last minute of the game but couldn't deal with the quick hands and quickness of a smaller player. It happens to good players.

Now it will be up to the staff to make him the best Donovan Clingan he can be.

Quote Reply
Report Edit

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

To be fair, isn't that common for most recruits to say when they commit to a school?

Generally speaking recruits commit to a place that feels most comfortable to them?

It's nice to see it associated with UConn and Hurley and his staff, but this should be expected, no?

Reaction Score
This staff is VERY honest with players, even during the recruitment process. Donovan knows exactly what he has to work on and improve to be successful at the college level. Most bigs take time. I hope people will be patient but also happy he’s here- the staff and his future teammates are.

Reaction Score
I've had the chance to watch him play in person a couple of times. He really dominates the paint area at the high school level with his 7'1" frame. Obviously the collegiate level is a whole new ball game but will be interesting to see how he blossoms up at Storrs.

Can't remember the last Bristol Central player that UConn MBB got - proud alum today!

View attachment 68353
I remember being bummed at losing Malcolm Huckaby to BCHS. He became a great BE player.
Donovan's game a bit of a throwback. This will be fun.
donovan2.jpg.png

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Two things Clingan does very well: rebound and pass. Rebound the ball, outlet to a guard who is running down the court. Team scores before he gets to half court. There's your fast break.
Bill Walton comp?

Reaction Score
Respectfully, AAU doesn’t exactly highlight Bigs play and it takes a Big awhile to catch up to his body growth. That’s why Chief gets up off the couch, evaluates in person and talks to people. Granted CovID put a damper on that for awhile but that’s no longer an excuse.

Which and where have you been evaluating in person recently?

Reaction Score
247 has to be working overtime fact checking and doing their due diligence before adding this announcement to its headlines. Here's their front page this morning at 9:40:

Reaction Score
I guess Andre Jackson doesnt love his family, b/c according to the dumbest collection of people online, Clingan “chose his family, he didn't choose us”.

also, apparently “half of our titles were gift wrapped to us”.(seriously someone said this).

And to close, my favorite. In response to someone pointing out we have 4 titles:

“We are ahead on a number of other measures of success. One clings to the things that most puts us in a good light.”

HAHAHAHAHAH

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I also want to thank Donovan for the timing of his commitment. Between Diggins at point guard and Donovan at center, the core of the team's potential is defined for the remaining 2022 and 2023 kids. Kids like Karaban and Buzelis know that they would be joining a team that can make a big run regardless of whether Sanogo, Akok, Hawkins, or others have been able to make an NBA jump. If Clingan dragged things out until Oct/Nov, and an ncaa title run is important to them, a less certain lineup at point guard and center might have played against us.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
He's going to have a HUGE fanbase in this state because he chose to stay home. If he ends up as good as we hope, he'll be the pride of this entire state for decades. I'll follow this kid for years. Kids in the CCC will talk about playing against him to their children. I will tell my kids about coaching against him when he was 14.

This committment isn't just a basketball move. This is an investment in UConn as the premiere program in the northeast. We're back.
No pressure.

Reaction Score
The guys complaining don't understand two things

1) he's literally half a foot taller than both our current centers. Being that humongous is an asset in itself. There are only a couple NBA players taller. He will be 4-5 inches taller than just about ever center he plays in college too.

2) the bigger the player the longer they take to develop. At 7'2 if he WASN'T a projecr he'd he at UK, Duke or the NBA. We got very lucky here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom