Donovan Clingan commits to UConn | Page 14 | The Boneyard

Donovan Clingan commits to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In the article I just read Bill talks about how he was considering having Donovan go prep or play for a different AAU team to help him grow as a player. I'm not talking about his decision to go to UConn.

Bill Clingan, Donovan's father, receives calls from prep schools, academies and AAU programs all over New England and elsewhere, trying to persuade him to move his son from Bristol Central and the Boston Spartans AAU program so Donovan can play for their teams. A newly widowed father of two teenage children and a field engineering designer for local energy company Eversource, Bill is navigating this world largely on his own and trying to do what's best for Donovan and the family.

"I'm conflicted because I don't want to force him to do something he doesn't want to do," Bill said. "But at the same time, I want to see him grow more, and I want what's going to help him succeed in the future. So it's a battle that we have. He plays on a great AAU team now, and he's getting the right type of experience. It's just hard to know what's best."
I knew what you were referring to (the article was from almost a year and a half ago)… my point stands, his dad seems content in his decisions and did his son well.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Did you know you don't have to express every single thought that enters your head?
It's a message board. I can post whatever comments I want to. I didn't attack his character, call him out his name or anything. Relax. If y'all really liked him as a prospect y'all would just show why y'all like him instead of just attacking me for having questions on his game.

Reaction Score
He's our next #1 pick. Happy? If you don't like it you don't have to comment. If you want to discuss it or correct some things like others have feel free.
This is the reason you fit into the shameful "more messages than likes" classification. If you see that is the case, understand that you are posting too much nonsense that others don't find valuable(funny, smart).

Maybe stop tweeting posting thru it and, before you post next time, think : "will other people care about this or is it nonsense" before you hit that reply, at least until you get back up to a 1:1 post:like ratio.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
This is the reason you fit into the shameful "more messages than likes" classification. If you see that is the case, understand that you are posting too much nonsense that others don't find valuable(funny, smart).

Maybe stop tweeting posting thru it and, before you post next time, think : "will other people care about this or is it nonsense" before you hit that reply, at least until you get back up to a 1:1 post:like ratio.
How will I sleep at night with such a classification. Y'all got it. Never really had any problems posting before but I see critiquing DC is a sensitive spot here.

Reaction Score
once he signs his LOI he can go up to the campus and practice with the team right??

Reaction Score
How will I sleep at night with such a classification. Y'all got it. Never really had any problems posting before but I see critiquing DC is a sensitive spot here.
I don't want to be that guy, just watched his highlights for the first time playing against New Britain (I think?) and he has so much work to do. I'm honestly not sure why he's ranked as highly as he is besides the fact that he's 7'1. He may be even rawer than Javonte Brown. The fact he's playing in LL and doesn't look dominant on tape when his competition is probably 6'4 maybe 6'6 if the team is lucky at the most is concerning.

If they did my apologies I was going off this on maxpreps.

Sorry this is my first DC thread I've looked at so I never saw why. I'm just behind here in general. Never liked his tape to be honest so I never invested in this recruitment much. But we got him so lets get him right.

Critiquing DC and then admitting you didn't really follow his recruitment before doubling down to defend your bad take by tweeting posting through it. You didn't ask to discuss or ask for resources/video to get caught, you just kept giving your same uniformed opinion. Half of this thread has been people trying to fill you in. And you keep going.

Reaction Score
Mentioning something once or twice could be considered critiquing. Repeating the same crap over and over and over is being a troll. We are well aware of your feelings on this subject at this point.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Critiquing DC and then admitting you didn't really follow his recruitment before doubling down to defend your bad take by tweeting posting through it. You didn't ask to discuss or ask for resources/video to get caught, you just kept giving your same uniformed opinion. Half of this thread has been people trying to fill you in. And you keep going.
People filled me in on why he hasn't gone Prep, which I appreciate and could better understand, but that's it. No one has shown me any film against him putting up good numbers against similar competition. I just watched his highlights against Mikey Williams team which he did nothing but pass the ball because he wasn't looking to score and didn't have much of an impact defensively. Only time he scored was off lobs to the rim. If someone with an "informed" opinion has anything with him playing well against good competition I would love to see it.

Mentioning something once or twice could be considered critiquing. Repeating the same crap over and over and over is being a troll. We are well aware of your feelings on this subject at this point.
All I've been doing is responding to people and in the past page or so making observations on the information given. Y'all are being sensitive. His Dad even halfway agreed with me even saying he didn't want to "force" him to do something he didn't want to do which was going to prep school to play better competition and get better.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Let me lighten the mood a bit. We all UConn fans here. (still would love to see that film though)
1625350880679.png

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
It's a message board. I can post whatever comments I want to. I didn't attack his character, call him out his name or anything. Relax. If y'all really liked him as a prospect y'all would just show why y'all like him instead of just attacking me for having questions on his game.

You keep digging.

-Make a judgment call on the basis of a highlight reel.
-Say his HS team should have done better, because you’d looked at the wrong year
-Wade into the prep vs. CIAC discussion as if you’re the only person here who hadn’t seen it been beaten to death

Reaction Score
I think the bigger problem you have had is putting false/inaccurate information out there and then when people let you know it’s wrong your accusing them of being sensitive.
The other part is we have literally been having the prep/ciac debate on here since before his sophomore year. You bringing it up like a new topic has probably triggered quite a few people who have seen this argument many times before

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The guys complaining don't understand two things

1) he's literally half a foot taller than both our current centers. Being that humongous is an asset in itself. There are only a couple NBA players taller. He will be 4-5 inches taller than just about ever center he plays in college too.

2) the bigger the player the longer they take to develop. At 7'2 if he WASN'T a projecr he'd he at UK, Duke or the NBA. We got very lucky here.

It is as if people have forgotten the era of the center. I’d like to see St. John’s switch to a small ball 6’6” center against a team with Clingan at center. Lob from Andre, dunk. Lob Pass, dunk. Lob, dunk. A player that size is a tremendous weapon against small ball teams on both ends, as long as you leave him in the area of the basket on defense. People act like these 5 out teams just bomb 3s, they sucker your 5 outside and attack the rim. Really hope DH stops falling for it.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Why are people acting like I didn't completely take back my statement and apologize for looking at the wrong year for his team?

That doesn't make some of my other points any less true. Especially in regards to the film. I haven't seen any good film so please, for you all who are informed if I haven't looked at the right ones let me know just like y'all quickly showed me the schedule instead of making funny comments to have a high like to message post ratio.

Reaction Score
Why are people acting like I didn't completely take back my statement and apologize for looking at the wrong year for his team?

That doesn't make some of my other points any less true. Especially in regards to the film. I haven't seen any good film so please, for you all who are informed if I haven't looked at the right ones let me know just like y'all quickly showed me the schedule instead of making funny comments to have a high like to message post ratio.

My mother used to tell me something when I was a child when I was an argumentative little POS: When everyone disagrees with you, it's probably a you problem, not an everyone problem.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I think the bigger problem you have had is putting false/inaccurate information out there and then when people let you know it’s wrong your accusing them of being sensitive.
The other part is we have literally been having the prep/ciac debate on here since before his sophomore year. You bringing it up like a new topic has probably triggered quite a few people who have seen this argument many times before
That's not true. I withdrew that statement and apologized immediately. At this point I'm not even discussing the prep vs ciac debate because I respect their decision especially after seeing the article (which I didn't know about before when I originally made the comments). But again, I'm new to the recruitment and just gave my opinion based on the tape I saw. But everyone wants to hop on the schedule comment which if they kept reading, would see that it was handled.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

It’s not that anyone is triggered, it’s just that we all know the fact he’s been dominating guys a foot shorter than him is baked into the analysis that everyone—including the coaching staffs at UConn, Cuse and Michigan—has undertaken.

Skepticism is fine. I try to maintain a healthy dose of it for all our big recruits. That’s not what we all saw here.

Reaction Score

I think people starting questioning your eye for film when you referred to him as a taller olander

Reaction Score
Andre did play one year of high school basketball and was a really bad 6'10 freshman that was the top ranked player in his class. Went to prep school, transformed his body, and boom. Physically dominated and had CBC as one fo the best AAU teams in the country along with Kris. I don't think DC is doing himself any favors playing in this league.
Yeah it’s restricted him to being a top 45 player in his class while being recruited hard by UConn, Michigan, Ohio State, Cuse among others.
Cannot wait to see him develop and dominate here.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I think people starting questioning your eye for film when you referred to him as a taller olander
That's cool we can have different opinions. But I just watched his game against Mikey Williams AAU team and the only thing he pretty much did was catch lobs at the rim. Tyler had a lot more skill and toughness at the same age. It could be that DC is still getting use to his body at 7'1 but yeah. No one has yet to post any film (like they did with his schedule) to say otherwise.

Reaction Score
For the AAC is as good as the Big East:

Certainly, UConn’s move to the Big East a few months after they began recruiting Clingan made a huge difference, his father noted. It would be hard to imagine him turning down Big Ten schools to play in the American Athletic Conference.

Reaction Score
This guy just keeps repeating himself even doubling down on his Olander call. It went from "He's just a bigger version of Olander?" to "Tyler had a lot more skill and toughness at the same age."

Yep, the troll isn't trolling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc