Donovan Clingan commits to UConn | Page 16 | The Boneyard

Donovan Clingan commits to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
With the new NIL rules DC could make a KILLING just by deciding to stay home.
He‘ll be making 6 figures + easily. It’s really a big benefit of staying in CT. Wonder if this makes it harder to get kids away from their home base in he future unless we have boosters willing to pony up.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Do lobs at the rim count less in college?
Usually when you're a top 50 recruit you have a semblance of a post game. His and Dickenson's HS film are night and day of what a 7' top 50 center looks like. Doesn't mean he can't get better, but right now he's just really raw. I trust Hurley to do what needs to be done though. It'll probably just take some time. DC isn't much better than Javonte and I for sure like are SJ more as a prospect from what I can see.

If he comes in and takes the Big East by storm I will HAPPILY eat all the crow possible. Y'all can keep receipts and start a whole thread @ing me in it.

Reaction Score
Usually when you're a top 50 recruit you have a semblance of a post game. His and Dickenson's HS film are night and day of what a 7' top 50 center looks like. Doesn't mean he can't get better, but right now he's just really raw. I trust Hurley to do what needs to be done though. It'll probably just take some time. DC isn't much better than Javonte and I for sure like are SJ more as a prospect from what I can see.

If he comes in and takes the Big East by storm I will HAPPILY eat all the crow possible. Y'all can keep receipts and start a whole thread @ing me in it.

I don’t disagree that he is raw. He’s also got another year of development ahead though. I’d like to see him be automatic from 15’ and in and solid beyond the arc. At 7’1”, a post game is much easier to find when you can hit the short jumper down low. Turn and shoot is easy at that height. Very few defenders will stop it.

Personally, I like that me runs the floor and has decent hands. He’s got the tools to work with.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I don’t disagree that he is raw. He’s also got another year of development ahead though. I’d like to see him be automatic from 15’ and in and solid beyond the arc. At 7’1”, a post game is much easier to find when you can hit the short jumper down low. Turn and shoot is easy at that height. Very few defenders will stop it.

Personally, I like that me runs the floor and has decent hands. He’s got the tools to work with.
If he can get a jumper, amazing. I agree he should be automatic from 15' in. Hunter Dickenson dominated the big ten with a simple jumphook. That's what I would love to see DC get down pat. Beating a deadhorse here but it really shouldn't be that hard for him to easily have that as a go to move THIS year. He needs to get his body right so doing layups around the rim aren't even a thing for him anymore. They should just be straight dunks.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He he can get a jumper, amazing. Hunter Dickenson dominated the big ten with a simple jumphook. That's what I would love to see DC get down pat. Beating a deadhorse here but it really shouldn't be that hard for him to easily have that as a go to move THIS year. He needs to get his body right so doing layups around the rim aren't even a thing for him anymore. They should just be straight dunks.
What’s the record for most ignores accumulated in one day?? This dude HAS to have shattered it.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
He he can get a jumper, amazing. Hunter Dickenson dominated the big ten with a simple jumphook. That's what I would love to see DC get down pat. Beating a deadhorse here but it really shouldn't be that hard for him to easily have that as a go to move THIS year. He needs to get his body right so doing layups around the rim aren't even a thing for him anymore. They should just be straight dunks.

”Needs a jumpshot!”

He’s 7’2”.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
As a 7 foot junior in high school, there are two areas I would evaluate; 1) Does he catch the ball cleanly and 2) does he move his feet well enough to keep his balance? From the limited video I've seen, I think the kid is going to be a monster. He seems to have good soft hands and didn't have to catch the ball after it bounced off his hands. I saw good footwork. I was impressed that one play, as the entry pass was in the air he reached for the ball and shifted his feet for his spin to the hoop. Thereby making the move in the instant of the catch. He has short comings, but I assume the staff is at work making suggestions for drills that will expedite his remediation.

Reaction Score
But, but the Big East doesn’t help with recruiting. According to some on here. Calling rip7774. :)
Are u sure u have the right guy? I have been thrilled since day one about the Big East move and having followed recruiting since the 90s, there’s zero doubt it has helped immensely.

What I have Definitely been critical of Hurley not taking a tactical grad transfer after having watched games without Bouk and our inability to score And especially lack of creators. I’m hopeful the freshman solve those woes. But a shooter or Creator would have been great. Maybe that’s part of reason we have some staff turnover, who knows.

I don’t see how anyone can criticize recruiting HS with this staff. We are recruiting at a high level, beating stiff competition regularly - the Sanogo pickup was one of the most unexpected, big time gets in my many years of following back to the mid to late 1990s.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Major coaches and programs wanted this kid. Only on BY do you have people seriously questioning why, page after page of it, like they know better. Talk about never look a gift horse in the mouth!?
What about a gif horse?
gift horse season 12 episode 8 GIF by Nat Geo Wild

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I've had the chance to watch him play in person a couple of times. He really dominates the paint area at the high school level with his 7'1" frame. Obviously the collegiate level is a whole new ball game but will be interesting to see how he blossoms up at Storrs.

Can't remember the last Bristol Central player that UConn MBB got - proud alum today!

View attachment 68353
Bruce Kuczenski Bruce Kuczenski - Wikipedia

Reaction Score
Where is the clown show who said that we were out because of a new school entering the mix last Tuesday?
That’s who I was looking for! Apparently he banned himself like he said he’d do.

Reaction Score
Are u sure u have the right guy? I have been thrilled since day one about the Big East move and having followed recruiting since the 90s, there’s zero doubt it has helped immensely.

What I have Definitely been critical of Hurley not taking a tactical grad transfer after having watched games without Bouk and our inability to score And especially lack of creators. I’m hopeful the freshman solve those woes. But a shooter or Creator would have been great. Maybe that’s part of reason we have some staff turnover, who knows.

I don’t see how anyone can criticize recruiting HS with this staff. We are recruiting at a high level, beating stiff competition regularly - the Sanogo pickup was one of the most unexpected, big time gets in my many years of following back to the mid to late 1990s.
Yeah it's not you, it's 7774 who was making these claims

Reaction Score
Not only that but then the other guy chimes in with “needs to be solid behind the arc”. If this guy is shooting 3s for us I think we have much bigger issues.
I see it the opposite way. Traditional centers are becoming extinct in the NBA. Even a guy like Embiid takes about 20-25% of his shots from beyond the arc. If he's shooting 3s for us, we're winning a national championship because there's no college team that could defend that

Reaction Score
No recruit is ever a sure thing unless his name is Zion Williamson. However, I don’t know how any real UConn fan can look at our staff and say that they don’t trust Hurley & co to properly develop this kid.
Melo was another... (remember him being a man among boys) could be wrong.

Michael Beasley another name that comes to mind​

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Years ago, the coaching staff had to work with Hasheem Thabeet just so he could catch a basketball. He used to have to stick his hands in sand buckets and squeeze. DC is so much more advanced. He has good hand eye coordination and really good feet. He is not even a senior in high school and bigs take longer to get acclimated in their body. The future is very bright for him as he will have time and coaching on low post moves, positioning and strengthening his body.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ry7

Top Bottom