Dom Amore: If Big 12 calls, UConn will have to choose between Big East love and Power Five money. | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Dom Amore: If Big 12 calls, UConn will have to choose between Big East love and Power Five money.

Reaction Score
Cincinnati has some built in advantages as far as recruiting goes for sure, BUT New England Prep Schools are churning out a ton of P5 talent right now. UConn as a P5 could score some of that. 2 In FB just like in BB its all about the right coach. Luke Fickell and Randy Edsall 2.0 started the same year. Our game against them was decided by Hergy Mayala penalty after a TD on the last play of the game. The 2 coaches could not have led the two programs in more opposite directions after that.

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
If we take Big 12 money, we’ll still be mediocre or worse in football and basketball will start to slide again. I guarantee we’d struggle to fill XL or Gampel for TCU, Baylor, Texas Tech, UCF, and whoever else was an AAC carry over or an old school Big 12 doormat. No thanks, we actually have an identity now.

We’d be rich tho. Temporarily.
I think we’d draw fine against Baylor who has lived in the top 10 for 6 years.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Thanks for you honesty, yeah you made my case. I’m not torpedoing our basketball program for THAT. :)
The flaw in your thinking is that the BE is the only place our basketball program can be successful. I personally do not believe this. I also believe that if this is the case we aren't close to the program we want to believe we are.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
What came next, was in large part because they gave Ollie a raise they couldn't afford, and then even worse, they couldn't afford to fire him. So they "invented" cause and tried to not pay him. It blew up in their face. You know what helps with avoiding disasters like that? Additional revenue.
Did they also "invent" the NCAA giving him a three-year she'll cause penalty? Just wondering.

Reaction Score
Did they also "invent" the NCAA giving him a three-year she'll cause penalty? Just wondering.
I know we disagree with this. But not paying him to go away ended up being more expensive. At the very least they should have settled when it looked like they were going to lose.

Reaction Score
While I wholeheartedly agree, I will defend the fanbase in this sense: UConn's situation - because of how late we were to football, and how badly we got screwed in realignment - is very unique. Time may very well prove that the interests of basketball are tethered, but the perception, at least in the short-term, is going to be that one comes at the expense of the other. It sucks, but as you've pointed out, this sort of infighting is what happens when you're pinched financially.
I just have a hard time seeing the administration keeping FB around and expecting that it has any chance at success with one arm tied behind their back. Time goes by fast. We are a decade+ removed since we got screwed over in realignment and almost a quarter century has passed since the decision to move up to FBS was made. I have to give Benedict credit for getting us back into the Big East and putting together interesting albeit disjointed independent fb schedules, but those moves had to have been stop gap measures otherwise they would terminate the FB program and dedicate more resources to BB. The argument on twitter was that extra revenue means nothing because they would have to spend more on FB. I mean duh, you can't effectively operate at this level how they are funding it now. We are in no man's land. Paying way more than MAC schools but our FBS peers all around us, BC, RU, Cuse are spending significantly more on coaching staffs. If we were fortunate enough to go in the Big12, in another decade most of our "newness" will be gone. The goal isn't to be OSU or Michigan, but to play at highest level that gives you the best chance to play in the ever expanding playoff. That would be a spot in what is the current P5.

Reaction Score
You do know that it will be 13 years before your proposal can happen, right? And if that’s not the case the whole system of college athletics was set aflame and it won’t matter where ANY team not in B1G or SEC is. Seriously.
Yeah i think what most likely happens is like what happened with OU/Texas. When it gets closer to the end of the GOR you will see teams pay to get out and they will fall apart. Couldn't happen to a more honorable bunch if you asked me.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I know we disagree with this. But not paying him to go away ended up being more expensive. At the very least they should have settled when it looked like they were going to lose.
You're a good poster, and I have no issue with you, so consider it a "friendly disagreement" but while you are entitled to your own opinion, you're not entitled to your own facts. The university had cause to discharge him. Now, we can agree, with the benefit of hindsight, that the university should've paid the full remainder on good contract, but that wasn't known at the time of his discharge. For what it's worth, the University did try to settle, but Kevin wasn't willing to, which, as it turns out, was the right decision for him.

But at this point any discussion of KO's termination strikes me as being pointless. Kevin got his money and we got an outstanding coach. Everybody wins.

Reaction Score
You're a good poster, and I have no issue with you, so consider it a "friendly disagreement" but while you are entitled to your own opinion, you're not entitled to your own facts. The university had cause to discharge him. Now, we can agree, with the benefit of hindsight, that the university should've paid the full remainder on good contract, but that wasn't known at the time of his discharge. for what it's worth, the University did try to settle, but kevin wasn't willing to, which, as it turns out, was the right decision for him.

But at this point any discussion of KO strikes me as being pointless. Kevin got his money and we got an outstanding coach. Everybody wins.
Baby Hat GIF

Reaction Score
There is no reason to think basketball would take a tumble in the B12. The B12 has statistically been a better conference than the current Big East and they recruit better players. If the feeling is that we are a recruiting outlier, just look at Creighton in the Big East, they are an outlier for the Big East and they do very well for themselves. After the championship Hurley can now take recruiting to a national level and the B12 will be a coast to coast conference with more exposure than the Big East.

BTW not that this matters but UCONN won a title in the AAC and was recruiting very well, then Ollie stopped caring.
He won with players recruited by one of the greatest coaches of all time

Reaction Score
Dude 75% of uconn fans don’t care about football - it’s about winning titles, they should stick with whatever is best for basketball. And maybe that’s the big 12 but most people don’t care about football.
They better learn to care about football since football is what will bring in the money. Without P3 money, you aren't going to pay the basketball coaches. Imagine if Vandy or Rutgers come and offset Dan Hurley $6M to coach the team, do you think UConn can match every time?

Basketball will suffer big time without the proper finances. Therefore, all the basketball only fans better care about any P3 offer.

Reaction Score
How does 2002-2013 = 6 or 7 years? And then another 6 in a football league? Yeah we got played by ACC , we also got played by Big12 WAY more recently, or don’t you remember?
How did we get played by BIG 12 ? They didn't add anyone at all over us.

Reaction Score
They better learn to care about football since football is what will bring in the money. Without P3 money, you aren't going to pay the basketball coaches. Imagine if Vandy or Rutgers come and offset Dan Hurley $6M to coach the team, do you think UConn can match every time?

Basketball will suffer big time without the proper finances. Therefore, all the basketball only fans better care about any P3 offer.

How did Providence manage to pay Ed Cooley $3.7 million per year, putting him in the top 20 highest paid basketball coaches in the country? How has Georgetown managed to top that with $6 million per year, a figure topped only by Calipari this year. Both did that without football. Obviously.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
How did we get played by BIG 12 ? They didn't add anyone at all over us.
I thought some liberal arts major intern at the athletic dept put together some PowerPoint of how amazing we are, but the Big12 laughed and said we’re not going to expand.

Reaction Score
2004-2012 = 9 football seasons in the Big East
You're right i forgot the the last 2 P years. Even still they got 9 years to compete on relatively even footing, and that is what everyone wants to base that the FB team will never be competitive against P5 competition. Its silly to use that sample size when they shared for the conference title 2x and beat ranked teams on several occasions.

Reaction Score
I thought some liberal arts major intern at the athletic dept put together some PowerPoint of how amazing we are, but the Big12 laughed and said we’re not going to expand.
What is happening in the ACC now is what happened in the Big12 in 2016.

The football powers (OU and Texas in the Big12 and Clemson and FSU in the ACC) were seeing their revenue drop below the SEC and BIG10 programs and they put the conference on notice they are leaving unless their payout improved.

In both cases, the football powers “explored” expansion purely as a way to increase revenue. Truthfully everyone knew there were no available programs which could bring in that kind of immediate revenue but it allowed TX and OU to say they tried to stay with the Big12 but couldn’t make the money work. It was purely kabuki theater designed to help their PR optics when they left.

The difference now is the BIg12 is looking for stability and long term growth…programs that can actually grow in value even if they aren’t $40 million producers now. UConn fits that model.

For those saying UConn should hold out for an ACC offer i’d opine it ain’t coming while FSU and Clemson are in the ACC drivers seat. They are just the new TX and OU who wouldn’t allow expansion in 2016. If it doesn’t add to their immediate football prestige and payout they aren’t interested. UConn can’t meet that standard now.

Btw the top half of the Big12 is stronger than the bottom half of the ACC. When the top half of the ACC gets poached by the SEC/BIG the Big12 will be the stronger league and in a better position to absorb the middling ACC programs. When that happens UConn would be well served too already be in the Big12.

Reaction Score
You're right i forgot the the last 2 P years. Even still they got 9 years to compete on relatively even footing, and that is what everyone wants to base that the FB team will never be competitive against P5 competition. Its silly to use that sample size when they shared for the conference title 2x and beat ranked teams on several occasions.

It's amazing that two weeks before P got canned, the UCONN fanbase that supposedly does not care about football showed up in force for that Michigan game and almost willed the team to a victory, we had a lousy coach, no QB and almost won because of the electric crowd.

When UCONN football played big games at the Rent the fans showed up in force. So sad that the basketball snobs on this board want football to die. Probably the same short sighted "fans" who wanted a new basketball coach in January when the team was slumping because of the Big East refs.

Last edited:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

I think Football is going to split off from the NCAA, and when it does, you could see football split from the conference affiliations too.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

I think Football is going to split off from the NCAA, and when it does, you could see football split from the conference affiliations too.
Please explain why any 1G or SEC would consider spinning football off from all other athletic programs.

Yes, this scenario would be great for any school that isn't in either of those two conferences but the two conferences that have the massive advantages aren't going to give those advantages up just to make things easier for the other conferences

Reaction Score
Who is to guarantee that a conference you join now looks the same in 5 years?

I think this is a key point. If the Big12 does in fact provide an invite UCONN probably has to take the money. It won't be possible to know what will shakeout in the next 5-10 years and in a way that's irrelevant, because that probably throws everything up in the air. I would not be at all surprised that in 10 years UCONN and a bunch of the old Big East schools are back in an all sports conference after the ACC adjusts for the pending departures.

As a fan the Big 12 doesn't get me too excited other than some better football scheduling and getting Kansas on a regular basis for hoops. The rest of it.......ehhhhhh........

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom