Dom Amore’s Sunday Read: Why Cooper Flagg fits UConn’s model of ‘basketball people' | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Dom Amore’s Sunday Read: Why Cooper Flagg fits UConn’s model of ‘basketball people'

Reaction Score
It doesn't come from the collectives either. The collectives are just a loose group of companies that agree that they may have NIL deals available for student athletes of those schools. The collective helps arrange the deals, promote opportunities. Instead of just randomly hoping to get a deal, the player can work with the collective, which would reach out and see what deals are out there.
He believes Michigan doesn't play the NIL game, there's no sense in wasting your time.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
FWIW, my best source on all things Duke said, ”I would not make any bets on him coming back to Storrs”.

Reaction Score
FYI - syracusefan’s top insider said on Friday, Flagg to UConn “is trending that way”. Who knows how plugged in they are outside of Syracuse, but possibly relevant.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
It doesn't come from the collectives either. The collectives are just a loose group of companies that agree that they may have NIL deals available for student athletes of those schools. The collective helps arrange the deals, promote opportunities. Instead of just randomly hoping to get a deal, the player can work with the collective, which would reach out and see what deals are out there.
I agree. I saw it as still coming from collectives in that way.

It’s not directly from them but theyre gathering funds to cut the deals.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
FWIW, my best source on all things Duke said, ”I would not make any bets on him coming back to Storrs”.

Well that can mean just that he's not coming back to Storrs for another visit, or that he's not coming back to Storrs ever. I assume the latter is what's being implied.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
He believes Michigan doesn't play the NIL game, there's no sense in wasting your time.
Directly from Jim Harbaugh’s mouth.

Here’s a quote:

“Also, to profit off their name, their image and their likeness, I support it. You just support anybody’s ability to do that. That’s all in the positive light and the way we’re approaching things here at Michigan.”

Harbaugh remained firm in his stance that when you come to Michigan to play football, you’re coming for a “transformational experience, not a transactional experience.” He explained, “What that literally means exactly, is we’re not going to pay signing bonuses for players to come onto the team. We’re not going to pay recruits to sign here.”

If you want more proof look at their recruiting classes that he really means that. Now, do you have proof of the contrary in any way or are you just talking out your rear? All of this is verifiable.

Reaction Score

Here’s a quote:

“Also, to profit off their name, their image and their likeness, I support it. You just support anybody’s ability to do that. That’s all in the positive light and the way we’re approaching things here at Michigan.”

Harbaugh remained firm in his stance that when you come to Michigan to play football, you’re coming for a “transformational experience, not a transactional experience.” He explained, “What that literally means exactly, is we’re not going to pay signing bonuses for players to come onto the team. We’re not going to pay recruits to sign here.”

If you want more proof look at their recruiting classes that he really means that. Now, do you have proof of the contrary in any way or are you just talking out your rear? All of this is verifiable.
All you had to do was delete your post instead of doing all this digging and making yourself look even more foolish.

caw

Reaction Score
Guys. No one pays for a visit. Maybe they throw cash to entice. But just to visit? lol.

UConn won the national title. Is ranked sixth in the nation. Has another top 20 recruit possibly headed here…

They don’t have to pay to get a kid to campus. I mean, are you serious? If I gotta pay you to come take a look, why even bother? Lol.

Cooper’s family isn’t that shady. No chance.

Message board people. 95% of it is BS.

80 or so words, 5% true. UConn won national title.

Checks out to me. ;)

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
All you had to do was delete your post instead of doing all this digging and making yourself look even more foolish.
Go Ahead Yes GIF

caw

Reaction Score

Here’s a quote:

I mean they play it, they just don't play it well. Or more accurately they play it the according to the spirit of the rule.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Why are we talking about Michigan NIL here
Just making a point that if we did go down that route we should be happy about it. Because other fan bases (like that one) is literally begging their administration to get in the game.

I mean they play it, they just don't play it well. Or more accurately they play it the according to the spirit of the rule.
I agree, if I wasn’t clear sorry about that.

I just meant they don’t go outside the lines like most big time programs do which hurts them in recruiting. I wouldn’t want us to be above staying competitive with everyone else in that regard.

We just don’t need to turn into Texas A&M football or Kansas basketball.

Reaction Score
No new information here.

Currently, the 247Sports Crystal Ball places Duke as a fairly heavy favorite but there have been some real behind-the-scenes rumblings that the recruitment is much closer than the general public thinks it is. Just a little bit over a week ago, 247Sports National Analyst Travis Branham was able to speak with Flagg at the Border League in Las Vegas. Like those around him, Flagg didn’t exactly give up too much about his upcoming decision.

Reaction Score
Duke fans are beyond delusional with this entire recruitment.
And that is so much of what this is all about now.

Flagg is a generational talent. Getting him would give us a short-term superstar and an immeasurable lasting boost to the program’s trajectory. Cooper in himself is worth all of the hype and all of the effort.

But what has really galvanized UConn fans is the light his recruitment has shed on how a program like Duke looks down at us, even though we are the ones who will be hanging a banner on Opening Night while they pass some damn baby around their student section.

“Courtesy visit,” “he’s a Duke lock,” the idea that Duke gets who they want, when they want and we are wasting our time getting our hopes up because he ain’t coming, the belief that we can settle for the leftovers once the big boys take who they wish — like UConn is that random mid-major near a recruit’s hometown that appears on a top five as a favor or the average Joe who couldn’t possibly take the prettiest girl to the prom unless he paid for the date.

This is now about “screw your brotherhood, we are nobody’s little brother,” about making it clear that not only will we run your ass off the court in March, but we’ll also stand toe-to-toe for the biggest recruits in October. This is about showing that the Basketball Capital of the World isn’t just a sign we hang in our gym, it’s something our fan base and the best damn coaching staff in America wakes up and lives every single day (even in the freezing cold of winter, in New England).

No matter how Flagg’s decision ultimately plays out, this recruitment has rocked the status quo — just look at the #SocialMediaInsiders who went from UConn shouldn’t even bother to backpedaling and covering their tracks. This recruitment is a very clear salvo that UConn is breaking through a wall and running with the biggest dogs for whomever we choose, too. And those self-proclaimed blue bloods are shaking in their boots because they know we’ve beat them with less, and we will wipe the floor with them with more.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Still no announcement of a commitment date...Me thinks that if he had committed to Duke this past weekend, something would have leaked by now, or the announcement would have been made.

Maybe that rumor of Flagg taking one more unofficial to Storrs on November 6th is true. Hmmm

I would be immensely happy if we got Cooper back on campus for the banner celebration

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Maribeth Monroe Flirting GIF by CBS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom