Dom Amore’s Sunday Read: Why Cooper Flagg fits UConn’s model of ‘basketball people' | The Boneyard

Dom Amore’s Sunday Read: Why Cooper Flagg fits UConn’s model of ‘basketball people'

Reaction Score
Dom Amore’s Sunday Read: Why Cooper Flagg fits UConn’s model of ‘basketball people;’ Becky Hammon’s Willimantic roots, Jim Mora drifts into terrible territory, and more

Backdoor

A Hoosiers/Hickory story, Maine style. This is the basketball environment in which Flagg, who transferred to Montverde Academy in Florida, and his brother, Ace, grew up playing. Anderson, who had won Nokomis’ only girls state championship as coach 20 years earlier, considers himself an old-school coach.

“So Cooper has no problem with old-school coaching, I can tell you that,” he said.

All this should only serve to make UConn fans, and the coaches, all the more anxious to add Flagg, 6 feet 8, considered the top prospect in the Class of 2024, to the Huskies’ realm. Two years ago, UConn would have had little chance. Flagg considered Duke his dream school.

Now, having visited UConn three weeks ago and canceled a scheduled visit to Kansas, Anderson considers it a “toss-up.” Flagg, visiting Duke this weekend, is expected to make his decision as early as next week. Recently, TV analyst Frank Isola, who has a radio show with Flagg’s mentor Brian Scalabrine, predicted Dan Hurley’s Huskies would come away with him. Just “something he heard.”

“Danny Hurley is spot-on with that,” Anderson said. “Cooper is all about the basketball. The hype, when you’re as good as he is, everybody in the world can see highlights, the hype comes with it. But Cooper is not in it for the hype. He deals with it really well. He has a great family and is very grounded. Even every game here, there were times when he said, ‘Coach, have (the media) talk to somebody else.’ He’s not in it for the limelight, he is just basketball through and through.”

Reaction Score
Dom Amore’s Sunday Read: Why Cooper Flagg fits UConn’s model of ‘basketball people;’ Becky Hammon’s Willimantic roots, Jim Mora drifts into terrible territory, and more

Backdoor

A Hoosiers/Hickory story, Maine style. This is the basketball environment in which Flagg, who transferred to Montverde Academy in Florida, and his brother, Ace, grew up playing. Anderson, who had won Nokomis’ only girls state championship as coach 20 years earlier, considers himself an old-school coach.

“So Cooper has no problem with old-school coaching, I can tell you that,” he said.

All this should only serve to make UConn fans, and the coaches, all the more anxious to add Flagg, 6 feet 8, considered the top prospect in the Class of 2024, to the Huskies’ realm. Two years ago, UConn would have had little chance. Flagg considered Duke his dream school.

Now, having visited UConn three weeks ago and canceled a scheduled visit to Kansas, Anderson considers it a “toss-up.” Flagg, visiting Duke this weekend, is expected to make his decision as early as next week. Recently, TV analyst Frank Isola, who has a radio show with Flagg’s mentor Brian Scalabrine, predicted Dan Hurley’s Huskies would come away with him. Just “something he heard.”

“Danny Hurley is spot-on with that,” Anderson said. “Cooper is all about the basketball. The hype, when you’re as good as he is, everybody in the world can see highlights, the hype comes with it. But Cooper is not in it for the hype. He deals with it really well. He has a great family and is very grounded. Even every game here, there were times when he said, ‘Coach, have (the media) talk to somebody else.’ He’s not in it for the limelight, he is just basketball through and through.”
Well timed article…

Reaction Score

Backdoor

It seems like he would bond well with Alex who is hoop through and through, as long as we have him for year 3.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score

Backdoor

Are people glossing over this “Flagg, visiting Duke this weekend, is expected to make his decision as early as next week.”

Reaction Score
Are people glossing over this “Flagg, visiting Duke this weekend, is expected to make his decision as early as next week.”
I take that as he went into Duke this week knowing where he was going

Reaction Score
Why would Amore even write this article if he didn’t catch wind of Flagg being a UConn lean? Maybe he was fishing for cheap clicks because Flagg generates headlines
I want to believe this. I did believe it. But if he’s a UConn lean why is no one but Frank Isola saying so? Amore could’ve put “he is thought to be a UConn lean heading into the weekend”. If people know why not just say it?

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
This is what I’ve been saying. Duke is going all out on the hype, this is counter productive for them here. He’s a kid from a close knit family from rural Maine. He never grants interviews to national media. He doesn’t want the hype. He probably felt much more comfortable in Storrs where it was low key and basketball/Family focused. Duke has their bag lady following him around. It’s a joke.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Why would Amore even write this article if he didn’t catch wind of Flagg being a UConn lean? Maybe he was fishing for cheap clicks because Flagg generates headlines

He probably just went on Twitter like everyone else.

Reaction Score
I want to believe this. I did believe it. But if he’s a UConn lean why is no one but Frank Isola saying so? Amore could’ve put “he is thought to be a UConn lean heading into the weekend”. If people know why not just say it?
I honestly think no one else has any sort of access to this recruitment besides Isola through Scal. That is still the only verifiable recruiting nugget we have where you can actually see the path back to Flagg’s camp.

Reaction Score
I honestly think no one else has any sort of access to this recruitment besides Isola through Scal. That is still the only verifiable recruiting nugget we have where you can actually see the path back to Flagg’s camp.
I like it. I guess we’ll find out here shortly

Reaction Score
Gonna hurt more with stories like this if the favorites win his services for a year.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
IMG_3318.jpeg

Reaction Score
Regardless his decision, it would be great if he makes it next week.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom