Dom Amore’s Sunday Read: Why Cooper Flagg fits UConn’s model of ‘basketball people' | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Dom Amore’s Sunday Read: Why Cooper Flagg fits UConn’s model of ‘basketball people'

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
UConn isn’t everybody. The last time we went 60 in a 55 we were banned. You don’t have to twist yourself into a pretzel for this paid visit nonsense. It doesn’t make sense.
We were banded for academic reasons. Not recruiting violations.

Reaction Score
Here is my take on Flagg. I see the internet stuff as bit over indulgent. Like, I would have expected kid to commit to duke right now tbh.

As a side, The kid and family don’t seem like a drop a bag money grubbing family. He is getting paid, legally and up front, with national deals for NIL. He doesn’t need shady bag drops.

Secondly, Trilly can’t get news out of UConn on a secret scrimmage. He has no sauces in CT, for whatever that is worth. So if things went well or are remotely in CT direction, he would not know.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I am confident, with no sauces at all, that UConn didn’t pay for a visit. Lol.
1698034497616.jpeg

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
No clue if Russ Steinberg knows anything here but if memory serves he was the first person who reported Yormark (Big12 commissioner) had visited Storrs.

Reaction Score
UConn isn’t everybody. The last time we went 60 in a 55 we were banned. You don’t have to twist yourself into a pretzel for this paid visit nonsense. It doesn’t make sense.
Kansas winks and smiles at the cop and gets a warning and a drive safely from the cop. We get a ticket. Lmao

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
I mean every official visit is essentially paying a recruit to visit. Who really cares

Reaction Score
I’d take that in a heartbeat.
That means you hardly get snow but when you do its absolutely life threatening. And otherwise you have freezing rain and sleet only. I like to ski so Ill take a real winter.

Reaction Score
That means you hardly get snow but when you do its absolutely life threatening. And otherwise you have freezing rain and sleet only. I like to ski so Ill take a real winter.

In NC, specifically Charlotte, you’re 90 minutes from the Asheville mountains (skiing), 2.5 hours from Raleigh, 2.5 hours from the NC beaches, and 3 hours from Charleston.

Snow fall in the cities can be dangerous due to a lack of resources…but it’s usually an inch or two, is gone the next day, and just doesn't happen often unless you’re close to the mountains, where it’s just like a traditional CT winter.

NC is def not tropical, but we are pretty accessible to everything you’d want from an outdoor experience perspective.We’re also usually in the 50s through December and back in the 70s by the middle of March.

Reaction Score
I don’t ski and I hate shoveling it. And my kids are almost through school, so I’m a perfect candidate to head south.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
On top of that, think of the optics. We are UConn. 5 titles including last year. Yet we are forced to pay just to get a visit? I think Dan would not wany any player that had to be paid to visit here. I don't care how good he is. It's an admission of weakness, inferiority, one I am fairly sure Dan wouldn't accept. It's certainly not the New Jersey way. Which is precisely the reason for the rumor, because UConn is a threat.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
In NC, specifically Charlotte, you’re 90 minutes from the Asheville mountains (skiing), 2.5 hours from Raleigh, 2.5 hours from the NC beaches, and 3 hours from Charleston.

Snow fall in the cities can be dangerous due to a lack of resources…but it’s usually an inch or two, is gone the next day, and just doesn't happen often unless you’re close to the mountains, where it’s just like a traditional CT winter.

NC is def not tropical, but we are pretty accessible to everything you’d want from an outdoor experience perspective.We’re also usually in the 50s through December and back in the 70s by the middle of March.
I don’t ski and I hate shoveling it. And my kids are almost through school, so I’m a perfect candidate to head south.
Honestly, that's all I want and even Cape Cod is temperate enough in winter. I don't mind a little cold, I just don't want snow on the ground for more than a short period. Want to walk outside all year and play Golf 9 months. The other plus south of here is longer days in winter. Florida/TX are almost an hour more daylight in winter. I hate the short days, feeling it right now actually.

Reaction Score
No clue if Russ Steinberg knows anything here but if memory serves he was the first person who reported Yormark (Big12 commissioner) had visited Storrs.

He's also a part of A Dime Back who reported Dan Hurley to UConn first.

He sent this tweet shortly after Isola said his prediction.

Who knows? He's probably just s#!+posting.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Setting aside whether we're going to actually get Cooper or whether we actually did pay for him to visit... hypothetically it would be a very smart thing to do.

Consider how much earned media, goodwill, recruiting cache, and fan engagement this has generated. Unless it was an absurd cost, it has likely paid for itself.

Reaction Score
We all know the next crystal ball is going to be pretty telling...and likely in the next couple days at latest...but nobody is saying it soooooo

Brace Yourself Here We Go GIF by MOODMAN

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Thanks, that's pretty clear. NIL might have made a lot of sense but I think the pendulum has swung a bit too far. So by the NIL rules, money for a visit has to come from an unaffiliated third party, no? Or is a recruit even subject to NIL rules when he's not yet a college athlete. Everything that used to be under the table is now over the table. It's smart that these coaches are saying "athletes are asking" and not "we are paying", but you have to think they wouldn't be asking if some weren't getting paid. Pro leagues have salary caps; only restraint on the colleges is the depth of their donors pockets. In the immortal words of Cyndi Lauper, "Money Changes Everything".

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Howler

Top Bottom