Dom Amore’s Sunday Read: Why Cooper Flagg fits UConn’s model of ‘basketball people' | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Dom Amore’s Sunday Read: Why Cooper Flagg fits UConn’s model of ‘basketball people'

Reaction Score
Closed mouth about where he might be going, or if he’s favoring one of his choices.
Really? Are you serious? Lol
simon cowell facepalm GIF

Reaction Score
What are the facts? If Kansas is one of them I think that actually adds on to the NIL situation considering the Nike vs Adidas factor.
The fact that he visited only 2 schools.

The fact that he canceled a visit to a school known to give recruits money in many ways. Why not just go on the visit and collect some dough?

If he was really looking for money from visits wouldn't it behoove him to take many visits rather than just 2? Shouldn't he have gone to places like Alabama, Auburn and LSU? Heck, he could have taken the one and a half hour drive up the road to Florida, or the three and a half hour drive down to Miami, and gotten nice big easy pay days. (copied from my above post)

You've heard interviews with Cooper. You've read his interviews with his mother. Do they "seem" like the kind of people who are asking for money to visit a school? O.K. not a fact but a contributing factor.

What has Hurley said about recruits asking for money?

Is it possible that UConn gave him money to visit? Sure. Is it probable? Based on the facts, I'd say no.

This is so stupid to discuss. I'm done on the topic. These Cooper Flagg threads have all gone off the deep end. :rolleyes:

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Yeah but you probably have weeks’ worth of apple picking time ahead in North Carolina! Lol
Or pick tobacco in North Cackalacky. Smoke em if you got em!
Boys we’re screwed. A top rated apple orchard, Sky Top Orchard, exists in NC! They feature my favorite apple, Winsap, and it just so happen to have an apple named after my 6th favorite yacht rock smooth rock band, Ambrosia!

IMG_1934.png

We’re doomed!

Reaction Score
Hoping we see him back on campus soon a la Andre did when he came to a practice unannounced.

Reaction Score
If he was really looking for money from visits wouldn't it behoove him to take many visits rather than just 2? Shouldn't he have gone to places like Alabama, Auburn and LSU? Heck, he could have taken the one and a half hour drive up the road to Florida, or the three and a half hour drive down to Miami, and gotten nice big easy pay days. (copied from my above post)
I still lean towards it's probably just a rumor we paid for a visit. But I don't really buy this part of it. It might behoove Cooper Flagg to try to take visits to all those places, but there's a breaking point for the schools where it's not worth it. If you're Alabama or LSU and you know you have zero chance of getting him then you're probably not paying him to take a visit

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I ask you guys does this sound like a woman who wants to be paraded around with the Cameron crazies…Mum‘s final line of her interview with Goodman, Kelly says “I’m hoping once [the decision] is over with, things will be more relaxed.”

Reaction Score
I still lean towards it's probably just a rumor we paid for a visit. But I don't really buy this part of it. It might behoove Cooper Flagg to try to take visits to all those places, but there's a breaking point for the schools where it's not worth it. If you're Alabama or LSU and you know you have zero chance of getting him then you're probably not paying him to take a visit
But that’s what the rumor is that UConn did. They’re claiming we paid him to visit because he’s a Duke lock and he wouldn’t have came otherwise. That’s why the rumor is dumb as hell

Reaction Score
It goes much further and deeper than that. Most kids decide to go to a school because they want to play for that particular coach. Thats the most important thing. Coach, culture and competition is how most kids decide on a school. Can this coach give me the type of coaching im looking for to develop and succeed? Is the culture surrounding the program fit who i am as a person on and off the court? Am i going to be able to compete at and against the highest level and have a chance to win? If Cooper is the type of kid he seems to be then these are the things that matter most to him.
Here’s some Duke culture for everyone:

BGRTHNUMEGO
Classy coach...unless your name is William Avery
"In 1999, Duke point guard William Avery led the Blue Devils to the NCAA championship game. Unfortunately, while Avery was lighting it up on the basketball court, he wasn't going to many classes—and as soon as the season was over, Avery, a sophomore, dropped out of school and made himself eligible for the NBA draft."

"Krzyzewski badly wanted Avery back for one more year, his junior season, to help groom incoming freshman Jason Williams and give Duke some depth in the backcourt. So when Avery promised him he would return, Duke still looked like the team to beat in 2000. But Avery did not keep his word. He entered the draft and went to Minnesota on the fourteenth pick, right after Maggette. That led to the controversy and a story in ESPN The Magazine that infuriated Dukies everywhere.

The basis of the ESPN article was a meeting between Krzyzewski and Avery's mother, who traveled to Durham from her home in August, Georgia, where she lived just above the poverty line and worked at a power plant until she got laid off. That Avery might turn pro miffed Krzyzewski because he had made a personal commitment to helping him and thought he owed Duke another year.

'Your son is going to **** up my program', Krzyzewski told Terry Simonton, Avery's mother, according to the magazine story. 'Coach K got bad-mouth, rude, personal. He forgot who he was talking to,' Simonton was quoted...'Coach K is selfish. He talks about a so-called close Duke family. But he just wants to protect his program. He lied to us about where Williams would go in the draft. Late in the first round? Maybe even second round? Come on. Even I could pick up the papers and read he was going earlier than that.' "

Reaction Score
The rumor is very silly and stupid but if we paid Flagg 20k for a courtesy visit and he has always been a Duke lock, money well spent. Pretty much all these $$$ related rumors make no sense. Flagg wanting to go to Duke but they were outbid by 200k as if they wouldn’t come up with that $$$ damn near instantaneously . If Flagg develops as projected he will be making hundreds and hundreds of millions of dollars. That is the top line item that a shrewd recruit will be prioritizing.

Reaction Score
Cooper Flagg is a really good player. I've seen Kirilenko comps. Giannis, Tatum, Franz Wagner. Even LeBron.

I think he can be the next college basketball player to put up 20 BPM after Zion Williamson.

Question for you fellas: does Don Amore of the Hartford Courant have a track record of inside information? I saw where he states Flagg will decide this week.

Thanks.

And to answer your question, none of our beat writers have a track record of breaking recruiting information. We have a bunch of posters with a good track record on these items but this current staff has sealed lips and has for years. The BY rumor mill mourns the loss of Glenn Miller.

Reaction Score
But that’s what the rumor is that UConn did. They’re claiming we paid him to visit because he’s a Duke lock and he wouldn’t have came otherwise. That’s why the rumor is dumb as hell
Yeah but that was (hypothetically) after there was rumored top 3 of UConn, Duke, Kansas. So we were in the conversation even if a distant 3rd. Those other schools were never even mentioned

Reaction Score
Beautiful week ahead!
That is some serious Chiefin’ circa 2018. Tell us, Chief, will the weather also be beautiful enough in Philly for a run up the steps of the Philly Museum of Art, followed by a fist pump? Or perhaps beautiful enough weather for a Jon Voight acknowledgement?

Reaction Score
The rumor is very silly and stupid but if we paid Flagg 20k for a courtesy visit and he has always been a Duke lock, money well spent. Pretty much all these $$$ related rumors make no sense. Flagg wanting to go to Duke but they were outbid by 200k as if they wouldn’t come up with that $$$ damn near instantaneously . If Flagg develops as projected he will be making hundreds and hundreds of millions of dollars. That is the top line item that a shrewd recruit will be prioritizing.
This kid isn’t doing that. No one is paying for a visit. What the hell are these people doing? Who pays for a visit?

This is some of the dumbest posts I have ever seen about this Flagg recruitment.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
That is some serious Chiefin’ circa 2018. Tell us, Chief, will the weather also be beautiful enough in Philly for a run up the steps of the Philly Museum of Art, followed by a fist pump? Or perhaps beautiful enough weather for a Jon Voight acknowledgement?
Hey, Chiefin' ain't easy.

If it was, we'd all be Chiefin'.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom