Does KO teach these guys how to run offense? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Does KO teach these guys how to run offense?

Reaction Score
Adams isn’t running the offense. He gave Gilbert the keys to the car again. Immediate improvement would be to give Adams his PG spot back.
Bingo. Ollie tried to do the same with Boatright and Shabazz, but that team didn't start clicking until they finally let Bazz take the reins.

For better or worse, Adams is this team's best player, so it's time they put the ball in his hands. Gilbert will still get plenty of run at PG, but Adams needs to more involved right from the jump.

Reaction Score
Slightly similar but definitely not to the same extent.... JC molded his offense to the specific players he had, he was able to switch it up. That's why he is in the HOF, it's a disservice to say he only ran iso ball

On the contrary,
This is Kevin Ollie basketball, for better or worse, this is what we are married too. We just have to bite our collective lips and take it... Kinda like a prostate exam

Same stuff better players for JC pretty simple. Having 6'5-6'7 wings who can create offense rather than depending on smaller guards to be the focal point is huge. Larrier isn't RIP, Ray, Rudy he's a shooter who needs to really tighten his handle to be close to that kind of player. Need guys like Matthews to be this type as well as more recruits, even Sidney Wilson who should be working in his handle and shot all year.

Reaction Score
Of course he does, every practice. The issue is right now we don't have anyone who can hit a 3, or a big man teams actually have to pay attention to. So until CV wakes up and a big man ascends to a level of competence, its going to be Gilbert contested drives mixed with Jalen and Terry hero ball.

What I'm more concerned with is the terrible 3-point defense and our inability to close out defensive possessions.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Of course he does, every practice. The issue is right now we don't have anyone who can hit a 3, or a big man teams actually have to pay attention to. So until CV wakes up and a big man ascends to a level of competence, its going to be Gilbert contested drives mixed with Jalen and Terry hero ball.

What I'm more concerned with is the terrible 3-point defense and our inability to close out defensive possessions.
We played terrific d until David picked up number 4. Without Cobb the guards were forced to adjust.

TL started second half hot. Not sure why Jalen got upset with him and took over shooting. Maybe game plan was to continue driving to basket and getting MS players out with foul trouble particularly when David picked up #4 but that failed.

Biggest thing for me is not to worry about this game. The outcome was as expected and actually the team played above expectations for 3/4 of game.

I’m concerned whether the players can shake off the loss and not come out against Arkansas in a funk. This season is about development. Given that KO had to scramble and find players well after the end of last season because players bailed and only two players have game experience together I was expecting a much worse start. So I’m pleasantly surprised.

Reaction Score
Honestly if I was told before the season started that we'd be 4-0 going into the game against Michigan state including a win against Oregon while giving MSU a pretty good fight til the last 5-6 minutes and had a shot to go 2-1 this tourney and pick up another quality win against Arkansas...id be pretty happy I think.
Arkansas is not bad. They will need to bring their A to win. Not a given at all.

Reaction Score
L
Thank you Zen all these people really are clueless to that fact. We must have a bunch of rookies here because people always complained about JC's offensive philosophy. I guess some are new to this place the others are so old they forgot. He had the horses KO doesn't, yet.
Listen, after last year, I just thank my lucky stars when they make it through a game without any serious injuries.

Reaction Score
We played terrific d until David picked up number 4. Without Cobb the guards were forced to adjust.

I thought it was more of having MSU's better players in foul trouble and once we got to about ten minutes or so left in the game Izzo was able to release the full might of his team. We definitely competed hard on defense the first half though.

Reaction Score
All we need is to add 3 inches and 35 pounds to our bigs and we can win a National Championship! I love this team...but did you see the size of MSU? We will be fun to watch and I think we can have a good season but it’s tough to play against the teams with that size. Go Huskies!!

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I thought it was more of having MSU's better players in foul trouble and once we got to about ten minutes or so left in the game Izzo was able to release the full might of his team. We definitely competed hard on defense the first half though.
The only way we could be absolutely certain would have been to see the end of the game with Cobb available and David not in foul trouble. I’m not implying that the outcome would have been different but at least we would have a better indication which theory is correct.

It’s amazing how much a players mental state factors into a game. Winslow went into a zone at the end. Reminded me of UCLA’s Tyus Edney performance against us.

Reaction Score
Bingo. Ollie tried to do the same with Boatright and Shabazz, but that team didn't start clicking until they finally let Bazz take the reins.

For better or worse, Adams is this team's best player, so it's time they put the ball in his hands. Gilbert will still get plenty of run at PG, but Adams needs to more involved right from the jump.

Yes, Yes, Yes!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
The bottom line is having 6 assists in a game is not gonna cut it.

MSU had 12.

Maybe they need to implement the 5 pass rule before taking a shot. Of course that would be like running set plays. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Yes he teaches offense but when you only have one player who can hit an outside shot and no big who can do anything offensively you are going to struggle against a Top 5 team. Plus MSU got really hot. All in all I'll take 4-1 and see how we respond to Arkansas. I would like to see Polley play more. When he gains confidence and experience this team will be much better.

Reaction Score
The bottom line is having 6 assists in a game is not gonna cut it.

MSU had 12.

Maybe they need to implement the 5 pass rule before taking a shot. Of course that would be like running set plays. :rolleyes:

As an FYI, UNC had 16 assists vs Arkansas and Duke had 21 vs Texas
(in OT)

The one on one stuff won't cut it in the long run.

Reaction Score
Yes he teaches offense but when you only have one player who can hit an outside shot and no big who can do anything offensively you are going to struggle against a Top 5 team. Plus MSU got really hot. All in all I'll take 4-1 and see how we respond to Arkansas. I would like to see Polley play more. When he gains confidence and experience this team will be much better.

Maybe the guards shied away after the two earlier travel calls, but I saw Carlton posted deep in the lane several times when a guard should have given him the ball, but instead just took a reckless drive to the hoop. Not only does this get potentially get the other team into foul trouble, it has the possibility of creating a whole new look on offense - the inside out game that has all but disappeared the last several years. But it is something all good teams do - did anyone see Duke - Texas?

Reaction Score
I don't understand the offense. They have 3 very skilled offensive players in Adams, Gilbert and Larrier and yet their offense looks a mess. There is no continuity or flow. It just looks like a scrambled mess until one of those 3 players does something on their own. Watch the very good teams play. Much better spacing, ball movement, screens and cutting which makes for better quality shots. If those 3 can score out of what they are doing now imagine what they could do when they're getting better looks.

I agree wholeheartedly with the premise that Adams should be the one with the ball in his hands. I understand what Ollie is trying to do playing him off the ball but I don't think Gilbert is ready for the keys to the car. So you either live with the growing pains and hope Gilbert is better running the offense later in the season, which would pay great dividends, or just let Adams take the ball and be better now. Tough call since you don't know how Gilbert is going to develop.

Reaction Score
Unless u have interior guys that can beat the opposing other guys one to one. Pick and Roll is the most effective offense. We ran great offense sets against Queens college and Carlton had 20. Trying to force feeds it inside will otherwise create more desperate end of the clock shots by the guards. This is the same philosophy all my high school and college coaches share

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
It's unfortunately the only offense Ollie runs. 2014 we had the best player in the country as our point guard and the two best one on one scorers in the whole country with 5 seconds or less on the shot clock, so it worked.

Agreed. I was gonna say. This is the same stuff they ran in 2014.

My biggest concern with Ollie’s “pro style offense” is that without pro level talent it’s not much.

Look at the top NBA teams now anyway. The spurs and warriors play more like the Uconn women than Uconn men’s offense.

Reaction Score
Agreed. I was gonna say. This is the same stuff they ran in 2014.

My biggest concern with Ollie’s “pro style offense” is that without pro level talent it’s not much.

Look at the top NBA teams now anyway. The spurs and warriors play more like the Uconn women than Uconn men’s offense.

Don’t even start the UConn women thing Q please.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
The way the game is nowadays, his offense is exactly what is being run effectively all over.

It's obviously on the coach to make sure they run it right, but every time players don't play in the offense correctly, why is it that the offense is bad? I guarantee whatever ball screen / slips / pops offense he's running works VERY well when done right.

If you think he should have a different offense because our players CAN'T run it well, then that's a different argument.

You can't honestly believe he has very little offense and it's designed as all isos with no passing.

Again, finding faults in a coach or the scheme is one thing, but honestly, people think his offense is so basic as to how it's being described ?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom