Does KO teach these guys how to run offense? | The Boneyard

Does KO teach these guys how to run offense?

Reaction Score
Guards going to the basket, twisting like Gumby and the Rubberband Man, ending up with swatted shots or bad shots. Need guards to be 3 point shot threats or pull up jumpers threats. And need somebody inside to be able to score like MSU's bigs.

Reaction Score
It’s all hero ball. Great team. Great individual parts but can’t maximize them unless you run sets. Team has its flaws but also has great pieces.

Reaction Score
Its funny because when JA stopped dribbling around and taking long jump shots and started driving the lane and using the floater he had his easiest scores of the night. This team had too many careless tos and just as many bad shots. Cant do that against a top 5 team like that.

Reaction Score
I mean, would that be any different than any season? I think we had a decent rank in offensive efficiency stats one year and that can be attributed to Bazz being the king of bailouts.

I was bored one day and tallied our scoring during the 2014 NCAAT. Nearly 20% of our offense was Shabazz hero-ball, either on pull-up shots or 1-on-1 drives to the rim.

Reaction Score
Guards going to the basket, twisting like Gumby and the Rubberband Man, ending up with swatted shots or bad shots. Need guards to be 3 point shot threats or pull up jumpers threats. And need somebody inside to be able to score like MSU's bigs.
We don’t have MSU bigs though. We have rebounding screeners which , if i recall, is all we’ve been asking for the last 4 years. We were isolating all the way to the 2010 title and pretty much since then. We want our guards to carry the offense. We can’t recruit mid season and turn guys into 3 pt threats. Cobb and DO would have sounded good together but would have been out athleticized(?). Would have been fun to see. If we can get Christian and distract to start helping we will be even better. This team does nothing beat MSU on our best night right now.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
This was some of the worst offense I've seen us run in awhile. Multiple positions where the ball didn't travel inside the 3 point line. WAY too many one on one pullups because they couldn't get anywhere. Lazy screens set. I would be pissed as a coach if I were Ollie. Team is way too talented and has too many guards to be this selfish.

It starts with Adams too. I've always thought he could be the best PG here yet but I see why Ollie wanted it to be Gilbert's team over JA last year. He has not done a good job leading the team by example. He makes silly turnovers, selfish plays, and has not gotten his teammates involved yet. This game was winnable but a lot of bad play tonight spoiled it. Jalen doesn't looked like he improved much this offseason and the lift on his jumper seems lower this year as well. Disappointed with his start.

Reaction Score
I was bored one day and tallied our scoring during the 2014 NCAAT. Nearly 20% of our offense was Shabazz hero-ball, either on pull-up shots or 1-on-1 drives to the rim.

I can never remember where I left my car keys but I do remember that thread.

I can rack my brain and remember us running the circles play we ran under JC once in a while and some pin downs from time to time. The rest of the time, its high ball screen after high ball screen. Sometimes we mix it up and have 2 guys set the high ball screen at the same time. That offense is fine but there needs to be more secondary action going on. You would imagine that with this roster having 2 guys who are elite at breaking down the defense, they would be getting tons of assists and hockey assists instead of contested lay-ups and floaters.

Reaction Score
We need to draw fouls. Drive to the lane, don't even really try to score, just draw the foul. It's our best offense by a mile.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
This was also JC basketball too.
Slightly similar but definitely not to the same extent.... JC molded his offense to the specific players he had, he was able to switch it up. That's why he is in the HOF, it's a disservice to say he only ran iso ball

On the contrary,
This is Kevin Ollie basketball, for better or worse, this is what we are married too. We just have to bite our collective lips and take it... Kinda like a prostate exam

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Its funny because when JA stopped dribbling around and taking long jump shots and started driving the lane and using the floater he had his easiest scores of the night. This team had too many careless tos and just as many bad shots. Cant do that against a top 5 team like that.

Yup. He was scoring at will but it was too late. Oh well, hopefully he figures out that its better than taking a contested or off balance long 2 or 3.

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
It's been like this for years. Not sure why it would change all of the sudden.

Reaction Score
No stats to back me up but most of points come from guards driving to the basket.

Reaction Score
There is some delusion, exacerbation, and frustration in this thread.
Been watching since early 80s.
Been posting for 8 or more years [EDIT - just thought about it - easily over 10, and maybe 12 - wow, time goes by].
If we could go back and pull up threads from the "prior" site, you would see massive b----ing and moaning that JC didn't run any offense. No s----t. Old timers like me jump in and vouch for this. People complained incessantly that JC didn't run any offense.

The problem tonight was not our guys - they played fine.
It was that we ran into one of the best 4 teams in the country.

THAT SIMPLE.

Stop using the loss as an excuse to dump on our coach and players. Be a fan. Recognize that our goal this year does not include knocking off the 4th highest ranked team in the country in the 4th game these guys have played together.

LIGHTEN UP FRANCIS.

Reaction Score
We need to draw fouls. Drive to the lane, don't even really try to score, just draw the foul. It's our best offense by a mile.

This. If we focus on 2017-2018, this really does seem like our best way to win against tougher opponents.

Reaction Score
Honestly if I was told before the season started that we'd be 4-0 going into the game against Michigan state including a win against Oregon while giving MSU a pretty good fight til the last 5-6 minutes and had a shot to go 2-1 this tourney and pick up another quality win against Arkansas...id be pretty happy I think.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom