Does KO teach these guys how to run offense? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Does KO teach these guys how to run offense?

Reaction Score
A lot of modern NBA offenses are predicated on keeping spacing by minimizing off the ball movement (players in corners) until a pick and roll or something else (dribble hand off, guard taking opponent off the dribble, etc.) sets them in motion. Sometimes, they don't move: they're there so their defender can't cheat.

We've seen our guys run it; the play against Oregon where Gilbert found the cutting Anderson was exactly that sort of play.

Our problems seem to me to have a few levels:

1. the offense needs the offensive players to be able to break down the defender or shoot well to keep them honest. Adams and Gilbert can get into the lane at will, it seems, but their lack of shooting hurts because the defenders can sag a bit, meaning there isn't as much space when they get past their first defender; Larrier can't comfortably blow past his defender and finish;

2. the shooters in the corners need to keep the defenders honest; ours so far haven't;

3. as Niels said, the guards have to make quick decisions and don't seem to: they need to be blowing past their defenders around the 20 second mark if possible, because that creates the necessary chaos for multiple passes. Why do we wait so long? Perhaps because of 1-2. Perhaps because KO wants to slow the game down possession-wise (the only team that had the horses to really play this way--you need a rebounder to minimize the other team getting second chances and a big who can pop or roll after setting the screen--was the 2016 team, but Gibbs couldn't get separation, DHam couldn't shoot, Adams wasn't ready, and Purvis couldn't finish; 14 didn't have the rebounding or depth and so we slowed games down). Perhaps because Adams/Gilbert/Larrier aren't making decisive enough moves. Or perhaps because there are too many other new guys (including Larrier/Gilbert) that when the initial penetration or pick-and-roll happens they don't make their move on time, messing up the timing. Who knows.​

I wonder if KO is trying to teach them too much, as in running sets that are too complex. It's unfathomable to believe that these guys simply don't know how to move the ball around, or how to PnR, or how to collapse and kick. We hardly ever see any kind of decisive movement. It's hard to believe KO or any of the players are clueless to the point where anybody that has the ball in their hands needs 3+ seconds to decide what to do, even if it's just a simple swing pass around the perimeter.

Reaction Score
I love Ollie. I feel you though. Our offensive sets have been HORRIBLE. They don't even set their screens. Just watch. They just go through the motions.

This shows poor coaching when game after game these guy just play one on one. Basketball is a team sport. It is terrible watching this team play. They have talent but all the one on one is killing them. Ollie please start coaching them, they need some some discipline too.

Reaction Score
KO strikes me as a players coach, without the players. Not a good formula.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Or is it going to be all one-on-one and bad 3 point shots all season?

That’s what it’s been for several years. Why expect him to change?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Thank you Zen all these people really are clueless to that fact. We must have a bunch of rookies here because people always complained about JC's offensive philosophy. I guess some are new to this place the others are so old they forgot. He had the horses KO doesn't, yet.

Yes, which is why I don’t want anyone from his coaching tree or an ex player, as our coach. The game has changed. Calhoun did not run that kind of offense early on, there was much more motion and ball movement. But he went to it later, and Ollie is still using it. It’s an old NBA offense that has since been abandoned by much of the League.

Oklahoma’s glory years came running the wishbone. But they aren’t doing that anymore are they? Same in basketball. The game has changed. Defenders are too good. You can’t run isolation and expect to produce consistent offense anymore. It’s a dead strategy for anybody that doesn’t have Lebron, and even there it’s not what it was.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Agreed. I was gonna say. This is the same stuff they ran in 2014.

My biggest concern with Ollie’s “pro style offense” is that without pro level talent it’s not much.

Look at the top NBA teams now anyway. The spurs and warriors play more like the Uconn women than Uconn men’s offense.

As do the Celtics.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom