2020 Recruiting: - Dimencio Vaughn | Page 5 | The Boneyard

2020 Recruiting: Dimencio Vaughn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I agree. Splitting hairs real quick though, assuming this is a CV replacement type player, Nolley and CV both made 60+ 3's last year (each took over 190 3's), Vaughn only made 35 while attempting 89. I wouldn't peg him as a true SG. That being said, I think he fits our roster pretty well.

Help us out with your reasoning. Vaughn's 35 for 89 means he shot 39.3% on 3's while Vital shot 34.6% and Nolley 31.6%.

Are you concerned about the step up in level of competition hurting Vaughn?

When you mentioned how many more shots Vital and Nolley took were you suggesting Vaughn's % will go down if he takes more shots?

Reaction Score
If he's quick enough to play defense the way Hurley wants, his size, 3 Pt shooting and rebounding would seem to give us a guy that can play 2-4 so he might turn out to be what we need overall or at least until Polley comes back full time.

Reaction Score
Help us out with your reasoning. Vaughn's 35 for 89 means he shot 39.3% on 3's while Vital shot 34.6% and Nolley 31.6%.

Are you concerned about the step up in level of competition hurting Vaughn?

When you mentioned how many more shots Vital and Nolley took were you suggesting Vaughn's % will go down if he takes more shots?
I’m not necessarily suggesting his % will go down if he takes more shots but it seems like he’d replace Alterique’s volume of 3pt shots rather than CV’s.

Percentages are one thing but making 30 less 3’s despite having a better percentage is still a lot less points scored. That’s all. But again, I am just splitting hairs.

Reaction Score
Do you know if they still expect to go after Nolley/Murphy if he commits? Seems to me like it was a two-scholly situation with Nolley/Murphy being one and Vaughn/Martin/Burton being the other. But I also may be reading that wrong
Don’t think another scholarship is opening, so if Vaughn commits it seems that would be it .

Reaction Score
I clicked on his ig post and realized he’s “friends” with some people from East Hartford, windsor, Hartford that are in the local basketball community. Not uconn guys but there is apparently some Connecticut connection.
he went to the masters school in CT

Reaction Score
I don't love the risk of not getting the 2nd scholarship opened for Nolley if we take him. But he's one of the 3-4 recruits I don't think we should pass on if they want to come
If Nolley/Murphy wants to come to UConn, they’ll likely wait to commit until the new transfer rule is decided. If transfers are granted instant eligibility, there’s an obvious candidate on UConn’s current roster who would likely take advantage of that rule, but wouldn’t want to risk sitting out this year right now. Neither of those 2 targets should be scared off by Vaughn, and regardless, a bird in the hand...

Reaction Score
Surprised how quiet this became despite being in the final 3 of his decision making. His toughness is something we would all be a fan of and he can play. If the staff is awaiting some other things to happen then I kind of understand but let's be sure to not get shut out when an impact player is at the doorstep.

I trust DH no doubt, just want to be sure we are taking that step forward as there are question marks if the cupboard ends up bare.

Reaction Score
If no other schollies are opening up, and if we're after a perimeter player, the staff must be damn confident that Polley will be at close to 100% by November. Because if he's not, the obvious hole on the roster remains someone who can competently play the 4. Unless the staff is sold on Springs I guess.

Last edited:

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
If no other schollies are opening up, and if we're after a perimeter player, the staff must be damn confident that Polley will be at close to 100% by November. Because if he's not, the obvious hole on the roster remains someone who can competently play the 4. Unless the staff is sold on Springs I guess.
Springs, Whaley, Jackson, Sid, Polley can all play the four in our system. I mean BA even played a competent 'four' in our system at the end of the year.

Reaction Score
This dude just screams PERFECT FIT.

But, I don't love only 89 3PT attempts as a SG, even at 39%... considering we're losing 2 excellent shooters and Polley is a ?...

If we can get him, we take him though. I've longed for a guard that looks and plays like him.

(and before ya'll jump on me...RP did play like this, but didn't have the post skills)

Reaction Score

But, I don't love only 89 3PT attempts as a SG, even at 39%... considering we're losing 2 excellent shooters and Polley is a ?...

If we can get him, we take him though. I've longed for a guard that looks and plays like him.

(and before ya'll jump on me...RP did play like this, but didn't have the post skills)
I’m fine with a big guard taking just under three 3s per game

Reaction Score

2 excellent shooters? Ok Vital and.....i really hope you don't consider AG an excellent shooter.

pj

Reaction Score
2 excellent shooters? Ok Vital and.....i really hope you don't consider AG an excellent shooter.

AG was an excellent shooter in high school, he just never got it back after all the shoulder injuries and surgeries. Maybe it will come back at Wichita.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Sorry, maybe excellent is reserved for Vital.

AG shot 36% in conference play and considering how putrid his start to the year was....

No one else I'd put above him on the list, at least noone that's shown consistency yet.

Reaction Score
What's going on here? AG was a really bad shooter in his college career. I love the kid but let's not rewrite history.

Reaction Score
AG was an excellent shooter in high school, he just never got it back after all shoulder injuries and surgeries. Maybe it will come back at Wichita.
High school was 5 years ago

Reaction Score
AG was an excellent shooter in high school, he just never got it back after all shoulder injuries and surgeries. Maybe it will come back at Wichita.

Yeah I love Rique but the shooting wasn’t there. I believe in high school he shot something like 63% from 3 and 96% from the line. I watched one game from HS and he barely even hit the net on his foul shots.

Reaction Score
What's going on here? AG was a really bad shooter in his college career. I love the kid but let's not rewrite history.

And Vital shot 35.8% for his career and 34.6% this past season. Taking into account the fact that he was often put in the position of having to launch some borderline desperation 3's, I still wouldn't, personally, categorize him as excellent. Statistically speaking, I feel good about replacing his 3-pointers. He brought other things to the table that might prove harder to replace. It sure sounds like Vaughn brings some of the Vital toughness.

Reaction Score
And Vital shot 35.8% for his career and 34.6% this past season. Taking into account the fact that he was often put in the position of having to launch some borderline desperation 3's, I still wouldn't, personally, categorize him as excellent. Statistically speaking, I feel good about replacing his 3-pointers. He brought other things to the table that might prove harder to replace. It sure sounds like Vaughn brings some of the Vital toughness.
Percentages aren't everything though, the actual # of 3 point shots taken matters as well. Vaughn made half as many 3's as CV last year, just because his % is better doesn't mean it'll be a seamless replacement.

Reaction Score
Percentages aren't everything though, the actual # of 3 point shots taken matters as well. Vaughn made half as many 3's as CV last year, just because his % is better doesn't mean it'll be a seamless replacement.

I didn't say anything about a direct replacement of Vital's 3-pointers through Vaughn. I was questioning the categorization of Vital as an "excellent" 3-point shooter. He wasn't. I'm hoping for a sophomore improvement from Bouknight and expecting Cole to be better than what we got from our PG's last year. I think that can cover Vital's 3-point shooting, both #'s and %'s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom