2020 Recruiting: - Dimencio Vaughn | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2020 Recruiting: Dimencio Vaughn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't love the risk of not getting the 2nd scholarship opened for Nolley if we take him. But he's one of the 3-4 recruits I don't think we should pass on if they want to come

Reaction Score
I don't love the risk of not getting the 2nd scholarship opened for Nolley if we take him. But he's one of the 3-4 recruits I don't think we should pass on if they want to come
I know it’s an unpopular opinion, and historically uncharacteristic of Hurley. But if Nolley wants to come along with Vaughn, we need to act like a big time program and squeeze someone out. Survival of the fittest. We’re significantly improving our talent level and naturally some guys won’t be able to cut it

Reaction Score
Has anyone actually watched games of his? MAAC to Big East is a big jump.
True. Though you could say the same of Cole. Imo he’d be coming in off the bench as a role player. Is he better than Sid and BA is the real question. And I believe especially next year he may be

Reaction Score
@husky429 posted a 3 minute highlight video on the 1st page. Competition is low but the 2 things that stood out to me were his willingness/ability to post up his man when he had an advantage. And he seems to have very good athleticism, had a few very impressive dunks. As the 4th guard coming off the bench I'm not too worried about the adjustment

Reaction Score
I know it’s an unpopular opinion, and historically uncharacteristic of Hurley. But if Nolley wants to come along with Vaughn, we need to act like a big time program and squeeze someone out. Survival of the fittest. We’re significantly improving our talent level and naturally some guys won’t be able to cut it
Get this kid and I believe Sid will be gone on his own!

Reaction Score
@husky429 posted a 3 minute highlight video on the 1st page. Competition is low but the 2 things that stood out to me were his willingness/ability to post up his man when he had an advantage. And he seems to have very good athleticism, had a few very impressive dunks. As the 4th guard coming off the bench I'm not too worried about the adjustment
I personally wouldn't use up a scholarship for a 4th guard off the bench type especially with the better prospects we seem to be in good position with but I trust Hurley on everything.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score

yes that jump is huge. While a grad transfer like this is low risk, it also could be low impact.m

it would put a lot of pressure on bouk and gaffney to make huge leaps since the two transfers would be low major transfers. But everyone said all year we were recruiting for 2. So let’s see if that plays out.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I think you’re pretty low on him. Good size/build, career 52% 2PT and 35% 3P, good defensive rebounder (17-18% range which is like Vital’s), and best +/- on his team by a mile. Looks like an improvement to Adams and Wilson at minimum and I’d say he has a solid chance at being better than a freshman Jackson. I think turning him away would be a mistake.
Yeah he's a fine backup option if he's willing to wait. Being better than Sid and Adams is a very low bar, and I'd rather let Jackson have those minutes for his development. I'm pessimistic about his shooting ability considering his FT% and numbers against upper level competition.

Obviously without knowing our positions on Murphy or Nolley, I can't say for certain what we should do. But I think Nolley provides much more upside, and I personally love what Murphy is bringing for 2 more years.

Reaction Score
I personally wouldn't use up a scholarship for a 4th guard off the bench type especially with the better prospects we seem to be in good position with but I trust Hurley on everything.
That's fair, I think it's a little more important when guards 1-3 are all starting

Reaction Score
Yeah he's a fine backup option if he's willing to wait. Being better than Sid and Adams is a very low bar, and I'd rather let Jackson have those minutes for his development. I'm pessimistic about his shooting ability considering his FT% and numbers against upper level competition.

Obviously without knowing our positions on Murphy or Nolley, I can't say for certain what we should do. But I think Nolley provides much more upside, and I personally love what Murphy is bringing for 2 more years.
I think people are also forgetting the defensive matchups we'll be up against in the Big East. Very wing/big guard heavy. Look at Villanova's roster. Adding a guy like Vaughn to matchup with 6'5-6'8 wing will be very useful.

Reaction Score

The looming transfer rule and covid 19 situation is having a huge impact on recruiting. The transfer rule seemed like it was going to be passed through, now there seems to be a lot of uncertainty. Not sure it’s worth waiting to find out, I’m not confident in anything that the NCAA will do or how long it may take. Don’t love the idea of taking a player that will have to sit for a year.

Reaction Score

I’d stay on both if he committed (even though technically there’s no open scholarship).

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I think people are also forgetting the defensive matchups we'll be up against in the Big East. Very wing/big guard heavy. Look at Villanova's roster. Adding a guy like Vaughn to matchup with 6'5-6'8 wing will be very useful.
The looming transfer rule and covid 19 situation is having a huge impact on recruiting. The transfer rule seemed like it was going to be passed through, now there seems to be a lot of uncertainty. Not sure it’s worth waiting to find out, I’m not confident in anything that the NCAA will do or how long it may take. Don’t love the idea of taking a player that will have to sit for a year.
These are both fair points. With Vaughns strength, he is an intriguing defensive player. He'd be a solid 4th guard in our small lineups, if he can keep that shooting percentage up.

People might not agree with this, but I'm willing to wait on players as good as Nolley and Murphy. There's no guarantee recruits will turn out the way you expect, but transfers have proven at some level what kind of players you can expect them to be. Having a player like them to start off our 2021 class is a no brainer for me. But I understand people who want someone to win now with Bouknight.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I’d stay on both if he committed (even though technically there’s no open scholarship).
Assuming the transfer rule changes, would players like Nolley and Murphy be turned off by the addition of an established big guard? Lots of competition for playing time in this scenario.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
I think we're getting a little too casual with the "sid is leaving" stuff. I know there have been rumors and he seems to be the most likely candidate for the 2nd scholly opening up. But can everyone be a little more tactful about it?
In my experience the potential transfer-coach conversation is based upon that end of year discussion.

The coach will lay out his projections for the upcoming year and expectations, including training, strength goals, etc.

The player weighs all that with family, advisors, etc., against other options, and makes the decision. If the player believes its unbearable, he's out no matter what. I am aware of coaches making it brutal for a kid to stay, and I'm aware of cases where a kid doesn't care about playing time and just wants to contribute and get a degree.

In my experience I am not familiar with a coach or program outright telling a kid to leave or that they wouldn't renew the scholarship. Again this is based upon my own experience and we're talking to late 80's.

Reaction Score
These are both fair points. With Vaughns strength, he is an intriguing defensive player. He'd be a solid 4th guard in our small lineups, if he can keep that shooting percentage up.

People might not agree with this, but I'm willing to wait on players as good as Nolley and Murphy. There's no guarantee recruits will turn out the way you expect, but transfers have proven at some level what kind of players you can expect them to be. Having a player like them to start off our 2021 class is a no brainer for me. But I understand people who want someone to win now with Bouknight.
If the transfer rule was already in place, I’d say blitz towards the higher upside players like you’ve listed that have more eligibility. I don’t love using grad transfers but with two injured players now (Akok may not play at all next season), it prolly makes some sense to lock a player up and see what happens later, things can always change... I’ve never seen Vaughn play but i trust the staff to make a good decision, they’ve proven they have an eye for talent. He certainly fits the big guard description they’ve talked about.

Reaction Score
Having a player like them to start off our 2021 class is a no brainer for me. But I understand people who want someone to win now with Bouknight.
I get your argument about waiting for the higher upside guys like Nolley, but I 100% disagree with waiting on them to sit out a year. If we wait on them we gotta almost be certain they'll play next season. The risk/reward does not make sense otherwise. Bouknight is a special player, we gotta go all out for next season. We have the pieces to be good. Remember, the better we are the more good recruits wanna play here.

Reaction Score
I get your argument about waiting for the higher upside guys like Nolley, but I 100% disagree with waiting on them to sit out a year. If we wait on them we gotta almost be certain they'll play next season. The risk/reward does not make sense otherwise. Bouknight is a special player, we gotta go all out for next season. We have the pieces to be good. Remember, the better we are the more good recruits wanna play here.
Waiting on a player vs taking a good grad transfer before Bouknight, Whaley, polley, Carlton , Sid Wilson leave isnt what i would do. Strike now while the team is good. We can always land another good transfer next year as we are seeing.

Reaction Score
Waiting on a player vs taking a good grad transfer before Bouknight, Whaley, polley, Carlton , Sid Wilson leave isnt what i would do. Strike now while the team is good. We can always land another good transfer next year as we are seeing.
I completely agree. I was just saying that there is an argument to be made if you wanna hold out for the top transfer talent to play next year. But there really isn't any argument for holding out for the top talent and the top talent would have to sit out a year

Reaction Score
Haven’t seen much as far as 21’ guys we are after or in good with. If we don’t have a lot of guys coming in I’d rather take a Nolley or Murphy. Just so it’s less talent to land for next year. I do like Vaughn though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom