Did you people watch Calhoun UConn teams? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Did you people watch Calhoun UConn teams?

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
I don't see how any of this could make excuses for what happens on the court. What's the point in doing all these figurative analytics?

Either it's going to work or it's not. And the answer has increasingly become clear.

Reaction Score
Yeah, and 2009-2010 was probably Calhoun's worst year, post 1990. They finished 18-16 and 7-11 in the Big East for 11th place. People were really doubting him after that.

But how bad was it really? Well, this team is currently 105th in the Sagarins. This time last year, they were 101st. Calhoun's awful 2009-2010 team finished 53rd. And he followed it up with a national championship. That was a shaky season but it wasn't another NIT run. This is flat out ugly. People need to wake up and stop trying to put lipstick on this pig.
And it was coming off of the program’s 3rd final four in a decade and a 31-5 and 15-3 year. They also lost Jeff Adrien, AJ Price and Hasheem. Anyone who doubted JC at that point had lost perspective and were spoiled beyond rehabilitation..

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
They finished as National Champions at 33-6. I’m pretty sure that if you want to make a point, jumping into the Gregg Doyel camp for logical discourse is not a generally successful strategy.

My point was they didn't play up to expectations UNTIL March, and people were complaining about underachieving and Doyle just wrote an article, albeit a stupid one, emphasizing that

As for me, I bought a package to go to the FF early and stayed in Austin and literally saved thousands, so I believed they would be fine

Doesn't change the fact that they were being criticized before that March run. As a matter of fact, some people were arguing BG was not leaving early because of the season he was having

Reaction Score
My point was they didn't play up to expectations UNTIL March, and people were complaining about underachieving and Doyle just wrote an article, albeit a stupid one, emphasizing that

As for me, I bought a package to go to the FF early and stayed in Austin and literally saved thousands, so I believed they would be fine

Doesn't change the fact that they were being criticized before that March run. As a matter of fact, some people were arguing BG was not leaving early because of the season he was having
I guess we’re just debating which revisionist version is more right LOL! I have no doubt that people complained after each of the 6 losses back in ‘04 and I am even more certain that The Boneyard represented a disproportionate percentage of the chicken littles and armchair coaches of UConn Nation. But to compare that tone, commentary and those fans to today is illogical and disingenuous. We had come off of a sweet 16 loss to Texas and a final 8 loss to Maryland the two years prior. And we started the season at #1 and were no lower than #9 all year. People who were complaining then (as fans do in all sports) were dealing with 1st world/blueblood “problems.” The arguments of the last few years arent about whether or not we will get a number 1 seed in the tourney. It’s about whether we will have another historic losing season. I just don’t get what point the “people complained then too” argument is supposed to make. That the program is in good shape?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I don't understand why folks think bringing up JC helps Ollie's cause when it only makes KO looks worse. Ollie is at a sub-Perno level. In Perno's 5th year, his team beat the #2 in the country.

Reaction Score
I don't understand why folks think bringing up JC helps Ollie's cause when it only makes KO looks worse. Ollie is at a sub-Perno level. In Perno's 5th year, his team beat the #2 in the country.

Huh? In KOs 2nd year he won a National championship but that’s not as accomplished as beating the #2 team your 5th year huh? What’s wrong with this place, I mean he’s not sub Perno it’s not close.

Reaction Score
I'm not comparing them. I'm saying Kevin Ollie is using Calhous system .

Factually incorrect. Calhoun had several sets that he used. None were particularly pretty or complex, but what we ran we ran well. There were baseline screens, curls, and plays specifically designed to get the ball to our wing scorers. All of the sets were designed to be run through once and then end with a high ball screen. Ollie runs none of this. Just the high pick and roll.

Reaction Score
Huh? In KOs 2nd year he won a National championship but that’s not as accomplished as beating the #2 team your 5th year huh? What’s wrong with this place, I mean he’s not sub Perno it’s not close.
Perno wasn't handed the same level program Ollie was. Even if you want to look at the term, as a whole, you can't deny that we have been watching ugly basketball for the last four years. Sure, 2015/2016 was OK but is that the best we can expect now that Calhoun's impact has faded away? If so, that is pretty sad. It wasn't exactly pretty basketball.

Reaction Score
At this point, anyone who can't see this for what it is simply does not want to see it. Period. Whether it's recruiting, roster construction, player development, talent evaluation, in game coaching, use of timeouts, development of offensive sets... its all lacking.

You don't become last in the nation in assists with an average margin of defeat of 19 points if the team is well coached. Those who believe things will turn around under this head coach are simply refusing to see what is right in front of them.

They’re blinded by what happened his first two years. They feel because Calhoun’s players won that championship in 2014, Ollie is going to magically bring the team back to that or close to that.
From what I have seen his last four years, Ollie is not the guy to bring us there. They really think this guy played a huge roll in winning that Championship. They seem to forget Calhoun left a super star and pretty good players around that star his first two years. Those kids were teachers/leaders. Calhoun new how to develope players, can anyone else say the same about Ollie his last four years? With a roster full of just his players? Nah

90849A8E-71C2-4C06-9050-43196716396F.jpeg

Reaction Score
At the moment i dont have the ability to sort/manipulate the list. Im not near a computer. Are you saying other schools lost multiple players?

My response would be, who are those teams? Are they significant schools, or are they smalls schools? If there are teams with multiple players transferring out, did the coach leave? Also, are those schools in a downward spiral as well? If yes, my statement about no other coach loses multiple players via transfer may be wrong, but i dont exactly like having things in common with schools who are also in the process of tanking.

Reaction Score
Those kids didn't want to be here. Of course, they didn't want to be here because of the poisonous environment. But implying that they didn't want to work hard was convenient because it shifted the blame. Bad apples and a bad associate head coach was why we were so bad. Yeah, that's the ticket! Well, that and injuries. Our poor head coach is just jinxed.

Lmao! Facts! Speak the truth.

Reaction Score

Lmfao !

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
We used to get buckets all the time without the ball ever touching the floor in the 90's, Auggie clearly just discovered Uconn basketball in 2004 or so.

And yet UCONN won 3/4 of it's NCs in the 2000s. I'm not politicking for the offensive scheme mind you.

But overall you are right, he is running Calhoun’s offense that has been abandoned by nearly every other coach at every level because it’s not efficient or effective. Hey Barry Switzer won several championships with the wishbone. It won’t work today. Neither does Calhoun’s offense. I bitched about his crappy offense even when he was still the coach.

The offense itself isn't necessarily a problem. It may not be the most efficient, but it worked for the guys he recruited. JC recruited a lot of long athletes. These guys were a force on defense, but were limited somewhat offensively. Most of his old teams probably wouldn't have thrived in a modern offense. Note, 2004 could do anything.

End of the day, the best players usually win it (which fits Jordan analogy). UCONN had the best (and often toughest) player in the country in all it's titles (Shabazz, Kemba, Okafor, Rip). You can argue against Rip, but I'd take him over Langdon any day of the week.

And yes, KO's recruits neither are suited to the JC defense and offense, nor do they contain the best players (not even close).

I've no problem changing offenses, but I don't believe the JC system is dead. People were saying it for years, but it still delivered Championships. It's hard to claim it wouldn't work anymore when 4 and 7 years ago it won UCONN titles.

Recruiting and, more importantly developing players is THE most important thing imo. It's amazing how much better offensive/defensive schemes work when you have a great collection of guys and one or two ELITE players.

Reaction Score
Those kids didn't want to be here. Of course, they didn't want to be here because of the poisonous environment. But implying that they didn't want to work hard was convenient because it shifted the blame. Bad apples and a bad associate head coach was why we were so bad. Yeah, that's the ticket! Well, that and injuries. Our poor head coach is just jinxed.
Right, it's funny how with some people it's always someone's fault, never their fault. Until they're with a new group of people and the problem is just as bad or even worse.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
At the moment i dont have the ability to sort/manipulate the list. Im not near a computer. Are you saying other schools lost multiple players?

My response would be, who are those teams? Are they significant schools, or are they smalls schools? If there are teams with multiple players transferring out, did the coach leave? Also, are those schools in a downward spiral as well? If yes, my statement about no other coach loses multiple players via transfer may be wrong, but i dont exactly like having things in common with schools who are also in the process of tanking.

I dont' know about the individual teams stats, but overall transfers are trending up over years past. Add in 5th Post grads, and it's a new world in that regard. Probably a result of AAU style ball (guys want to be featured).

Interesting stat: About 40% of all MBB players who enter Division I directly out of high school depart their initial school by the end of their sophomore year.

The best programs definitely feature transfers because guys want playing time. They can't beat out new studs coming in. For example, UK has had multiple transfers. But this was not a problem at UCONN; there was plenty of PT available. It was something else.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
The best programs definitely feature transfers because guys want playing time. They can't beat out new studs coming in. For example, UK has had multiple transfers.
Worth noting there are two top programs – UNC and Villanova – that go against this particular grain. UNC have yet to have a player transfer out under Roy, and I can't remember the last one who left 'Nova under Wright.

Interestingly, URI have had only two guys transfer out in six years under Hurley. Not that that's relevant at all. ;)

Reaction Score
You can very well be right.

But it's why I say this battle is not on but off the " game" court with player development , player retention , and player motivation.

Those to me are KO's glaring weaknesses that give me pause.
I'm surprised I haven't seen any reference to football's impact on basketball. Football drives membership in the AAC. No self-respecting basketball recruit wants to play in the AAC. It's just that simple.

Reaction Score
I'm surprised I haven't seen any reference to football's impact on basketball. Football drives membership in the AAC. No self-respecting basketball recruit wants to play in the AAC. It's just that simple.

Except that SMU, Cincy, etc. have had no trouble thriving in this conference.

It's not the conference, it's the coach.

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
Watching our 2002 game with UNC and to tell you the truth we were not running anything different offensively today as we were then. Only difference is the level of talent of our players. We had more talent back then. KO is definitely trying to emulate the Calhoun system. But this is hard to do in the conference we are currently in. Even the talent on the so called best teams in the AAC are not on par with power 5 teams. We need to keep KO in Storrs and get UConn into a power 5 conference. Guarantee KO closes the deal on recruits close to committing then. I know this has been said before, but it can't be said enough. WE NEED TO GET OUT OF THIS CONFERENCE ASAP.

Reaction Score
Lmfao !

You do realize you’re a dope right? I mean you look stupid with some of these posts but by all means keep going. Others here have great arguments on why KO is awful right now, and for 2 plus years but you’re like a puppet who knows nothing still repeating he had nothing to do with his NC. You realize how dumb that sounds yet?

LMAO again and again

Reaction Score
The 2004 team ran some pretty solid sets off of Gordon and Okafor. We didn't need to "muck" up the game. We would just wear you down from the tip.

The 2007 team comprised of all Freshman and Sophomores dominated teams that we were supposed to beat. They didn't win too many games in the Big East but they also didn't lose any games by 20.

Reaction Score
You do realize you’re a dope right? I mean you look stupid with some of these posts but by all means keep going. Others here have great arguments on why KO is awful right now, and for 2 plus years but you’re like a puppet who knows nothing still repeating he had nothing to do with his NC. You realize how dumb that sounds yet?

LMAO again and again

I’m a dope! Lmao your mad bro!

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Except that SMU, Cincy, etc. have had no trouble thriving in this conference.

It's not the conference, it's the coach.

They're doing it with mostly two and three-star recruits.

You would be very upset if UConn's classes looked like Cincy/SMU's.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom