Did you people watch Calhoun UConn teams? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Did you people watch Calhoun UConn teams?

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
Watching our 2002 game with UNC and to tell you the truth we were not running anything different offensively today as we were then. Only difference is the level of talent of our players. We had more talent back then. KO is definitely trying to emulate the Calhoun system. But this is hard to do in the conference we are currently in. Even the talent on the so called best teams in the AAC are not on par with power 5 teams. We need to keep KO in Storrs and get UConn into a power 5 conference. Guarantee KO closes the deal on recruits close to committing then. I know this has been said before, but it can't be said enough. WE NEED TO GET OUT OF THIS CONFERENCE ASAP.

In addition to the above think of this...

When Calhoun was coaching he was not recruiting student athletes, he was recruiting pure ATHLETES. With the exception of Emeka Okafor and maybe a few other players mostly from the 90s, most of the players he recuited that resulted in 3 national championships were not very good academically, which ultimately leaded to our low APR scores and the mess KO inherited during the ban. The players that are good students and athletes are few and far between and most of them are are going to schools like Duke. Most of the players KO has recruited have been good students. We have had perfect APR scores and GPAs are higher. He is under pressure to keep APR high because of what happened in Calhoun's latter years. We are essentially recruiting talent wise on an Ivy League level. And on that level Xs and Os are more important than ever.

Reaction Score
Except that SMU, Cincy, etc. have had no trouble thriving in this conference.

It's not the conference, it's the coach.
Thriving within the conference yes but no AAC team has done consistently well in the NCAA Tourney since its inception. I agree, there's no excuse for why we can't be top 3 in this conference but the talent clearly isn't abundant compared to other conferences.

Reaction Score

When Calhoun was coaching he was not recruiting student athletes, he was recruiting pure ATHLETES. With the exception of Emeka Okafor and maybe a few other players mostly from the 90s, most of the players he recuited that resulted in 3 national championships were not very good academically, which ultimately leaded to our low APR scores and the mess KO inherited during the ban. The players that are good students and athletes are few and far between and most of them are are going to schools like Duke. Most of the players KO has recruited have been good students. We have had perfect APR scores and GPAs are higher. He is under pressure to keep APR high because of what happened in Calhoun's latter years. We are essentially recruiting talent wise on an Ivy League level. And on that level Xs and Os are more important than ever.
You have no idea what you are talking about. Truly none. At least form your theory into a question to see if anyone might have an answer. Stating the above as fact is next-level ignorant.

UConn_Top_Dog

Reaction Score
You have no idea what you are talking about. Truly none. Wow

You are entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to mine. Take it any way you like. It would be nice if you add some intelligent remarks backing up your opinion, maybe we can all learn something.

Reaction Score
You are entitled to your opinion and I am entitled to mine. Take it any way you like. It would be nice if you add some intelligent remarks backing up your opinion, maybe we can all learn something.
Here’s an intelligent remark specifically for you - research the APR situation. You might learn something. As for suggesting that we recruit Ivy League caliber student athletes, i don’t even know where to begin with that.

UConn_Top_Dog

Reaction Score
Here’s an intelligent remark specifically for you - research the APR situation. You might learn something. As for suggesting that we recruit Ivy League caliber student athletes, i don’t even know where to begin with that.

Lol very nice. You are so smart. You tell me to do research to prove myself wrong. No effort on your part to disprove my argument. Classic response when one is feeling vulnerable and has nothing to add to the argument. Have a nice day good sir.

Reaction Score
Thriving within the conference yes but no AAC team has done consistently well in the NCAA Tourney since its inception. I agree, there's no excuse for why we can't be top 3 in this conference but the talent clearly isn't abundant compared to other conferences.
I understand your point, but the conference produced a national champion in its first year (2014). And success in the tourney has a lot to do with seeding. Getting a better (some would argue more fair) seed from even its champion, would almost certainly provide better results.

Reaction Score
Lol very nice. You are so smart. You tell me to do research to prove myself wrong. No effort on your part to disprove my argument. Classic response when one is feeling vulnerable and has nothing to add to the argument. Have a nice day good sir.
Just to be clear, I’m not claiming to be smart. I’m just calling you dumb..

UConn_Top_Dog

Reaction Score
I understand your point, but the conference produced a national champion in its first year (2014). And success in the tourney has a lot to do with seeding. Getting a better (some would argue more fair) seed from even its champion, would almost certainly provide better results.

Helps that 2014 the conference still included Louisville and many left over players from the former Big East.

UConn_Top_Dog

Reaction Score
Just to be clear, I’m not claiming to be smart. I’m just calling you dumb..

Because you can gauge someone's intelligence from one statement? You don't even personally know me. You must have been bullied as a kid if you enjoy putting others down and insulting them. You need a different hobby.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
No self-respecting basketball recruit wants to play in the AAC. It's just that simple.
Except that SMU, Cincy, etc. have had no trouble thriving in this conference.
It's not the conference, it's the coach.

You might both be right. Look at the list of Top 50, or even Top 100 guys going to the AAC. Not long and distinguished. Yet Cincy, SMU have done well as far as teams go.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Worth noting there are two top programs – UNC and Villanova – that go against this particular grain. UNC have yet to have a player transfer out under Roy, and I can't remember the last one who left 'Nova under Wright.

Interestingly, URI have had only two guys transfer out in six years under Hurley. Not that that's relevant at all. ;)

I think they've had at least one iirc, Larry Drew II in 2011. But the point remains.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Because you can gauge someone's intelligence from one statement? You don't even personally know me. You must have been bullied as a kid if you enjoy putting others down and insulting them. You need a different hobby.
Fair enough. I shouldn’t have called you dumb. You’re right. I don’t know you and I apologize. You could certainly be a genius for all I know.

But, I find your posts about UConn basketball to be really dumb. I do. Sorry.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
We need to keep KO in Storrs and get UConn into a power 5 conference. Guarantee KO closes the deal on recruits close to committing then. I know this has been said before, but it can't be said enough. WE NEED TO GET OUT OF THIS CONFERENCE ASAP.

This is irrelevant though. You have to focus on what you can control. Not what you can't.

Again, he's had a big class in this conference. So it's not impossible. But identifying and developing the right guys is an issue. idk

Last edited:
Reaction Score

This is the dumbest post in the history of this board. Unbelievable that a Uconn fan would post this garbage.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
And yet UCONN won 3/4 of it's NCs in the 2000s. I'm not politicking for the offensive scheme mind you.

The offense itself isn't necessarily a problem. It may not be the most efficient, but it worked for the guys he recruited. JC recruited a lot of long athletes. These guys were a force on defense, but were limited somewhat offensively. Most of his old teams probably wouldn't have thrived in a modern offense. Note, 2004 could do anything.

End of the day, the best players usually win it (which fits Jordan analogy). UCONN had the best (and often toughest) player in the country in all it's titles (Shabazz, Kemba, Okafor, Rip). You can argue against Rip, but I'd take him over Langdon any day of the week.

And yes, KO's recruits neither are suited to the JC defense and offense, nor do they contain the best players (not even close).

I've no problem changing offenses, but I don't believe the JC system is dead. People were saying it for years, but it still delivered Championships. It's hard to claim it wouldn't work anymore when 4 and 7 years ago it won UCONN titles.

Recruiting and, more importantly developing players is THE most important thing imo. It's amazing how much better offensive/defensive schemes work when you have a great collection of guys and one or two ELITE players.

Recruiting and development are critical for sure. But take a look at the top of the NBA standings and you will see teams playing a very different style. The advanced metrics seem to be pretty clear, dunks, layups and threes. Design your offense to get those shots. And recruit players to make those shots. Our offense, even when it works, mostly generates the least efficient shots in basketball, the midrange jump shot and floater.

The game may change back at some point. But the shift we’ve seen in the last 5+ years is similar to the way the 49ers changed the NFL. Basketball is now a 3 Point shooting contest, with ball movement designed to get open 3s first, even pulling bigs outside to guard bigs who can shoot. It’s an outside -in offense instead of the reverse.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Recruiting and development are critical for sure. But take a look at the top of the NBA standings and you will see teams playing a very different style. The advanced metrics seem to be pretty clear, dunks, layups and threes. Design your offense to get those shots. And recruit players to make those shots. Our offense, even when it works, mostly generates the least efficient shots in basketball, the midrange jump shot and floater.

The game may change back at some point. But the shift we’ve seen in the last 5+ years is similar to the way the 49ers changed the NFL. Basketball is now a 3 Point shooting contest, with ball movement designed to get open 3s first, even pulling bigs outside to guard bigs who can shoot. It’s an outside -in offense instead of the reverse.

You're not wrong, but looking at the NBA vs college doesn't always make sense imo. I do think there is a little bit of apples and oranges going on there. The NBA is LOADED with highly skilled BBall players, most of whom which can shoot very well. This includes big men who can do the same, and the offenses are designed to accommodate these things.

College is not filled with highly skilled players, nor great shooters at all positions. There are some, to be sure, but the mix of guys is much, much broader. For this reason, the best asset, the most important asset, in college is defense. It doesn't require great skill, and yet can significantly hinder good college offenses, as the players aren't as skilled up and down the roster. So focus on that (and those players) first and foremost, and design your offense accordingly.

That said, no team can survive with zero shooters.

Reaction Score
Watching our 2002 game with UNC and to tell you the truth we were not running anything different offensively today as we were then. Only difference is the level of talent of our players. We had more talent back then. KO is definitely trying to emulate the Calhoun system. But this is hard to do in the conference we are currently in. Even the talent on the so called best teams in the AAC are not on par with power 5 teams. We need to keep KO in Storrs and get UConn into a power 5 conference. Guarantee KO closes the deal on recruits close to committing then. I know this has been said before, but it can't be said enough. WE NEED TO GET OUT OF THIS CONFERENCE ASAP.
He recruited the 10th best recruiting class in the nation last year. Conference is not the problem. The coach is the problem.

Reaction Score
You might both be right. Look at the list of Top 50, or even Top 100 guys going to the AAC. Not long and distinguished. Yet Cincy, SMU have done well as far as teams go.
Again, they've done well IN the conference. But in the national landscape where are the high level recruits? This isn't in defense of KO and the staff, but this conference isn't producing any NBA stars. If I'm missing someone, please list the high level NBA players from the AAC? Bazz is playing great recently but even he's a Big East holdover.

Reaction Score
For what it's worth I dont think we win the NC in 14' if JC is still coaching. Thus I've been torn lately. The deficiencies are striking, but until recently i was convinced there was a bright light at the end of the tunnel. It's becime impossible to maintain such a rosie opinion.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Rip would be nothing better than a TL imitation on this years team. That's how KO would coach him up, and that's how he'd play.

Big disservice to Rip. A players desire to get better on his own, outside of what any coach tells him, is a huge piece of what makes guys great. IDK, I'm willing to bet Rip put in more work than most guys on this team.

Reaction Score

It's why I agree, by and large, with the initial post. Auggy points out that our offense is designed--when we can't get fast breaks (and we can't because we can't rebound)--to allow talented players to score out of Iso. KO's last few years in the league, it was still an Iso league. It isn't, and we haven't adjusted.

If KO put in the work, he could get the people to come here, in theory. He's done it already. He may have burned that bridge forever though, or might not have the desire to put in the necessary work. I don't know.

But if he's still recruiting people to play an offense that basketball left behind with players not even gifted enough to run that well, I don't know what to say. JC was stubborn, and some years he'd lose games and stick to the system. It worked out because those kids were super-talented and he was a great coach. They could mature and be trusted to mature into what we needed.

We're missing both aspects right now. No one should have thought KO would be JC's equivalent as a coach. But he should be better than he is, and the players on the court--sans Adams, Larrier, and an Gilbert (I like CV, but he's essentially Craig Austrie)--aren't the type of players who can grow into the system. To win with this group he has to radically shift everything on offense.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Again, they've done well IN the conference. But in the national landscape where are the high level recruits? This isn't in defense of KO and the staff, but this conference isn't producing any NBA stars. If I'm missing someone, please list the high level NBA players from the AAC? Bazz is playing great recently but even he's a Big East holdover.

That was exactly my point. The list is short of good players going to the AAC. And yet, teams still do well enough on the court.

Reaction Score
For what it's worth I dont think we win the NC in 14' if JC is still coaching. Thus I've been torn lately. The deficiencies are striking, but until recently i was convinced there was a bright light at the end of the tunnel. It's becime impossible to maintain such a rosie opinion.
I actually agree with this. KO from 12-14 was a master motivator, cheerleader and so fully engaged. Which makes what he's become so infuriating! Was it the divorce? The big multiyear contract? He hasn't recruited or developed talent well but what happened to the guy who bristled about us being called Cinderella, said "we bred" for championships etc? That was just an entirely different guy. Did he just get soft after success and a secure long term contract? Bring back the guy who fought like a street dog as our PG and embodied that on the sidelines the first 2 years. I guarantee that KO wouldn't call overtime home wins against Monmouth and Columbia, and a 10 point loss at home great games!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom