Diamond | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Diamond

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think Diamond is #1. More versatile than A'ja, plus she's already some pro league experience now... She's always been a special talent... Wonder what her college career would've been like if Geno had her up in Storrs? Maybe a little more humble pie would've truly brought out her greatness at the collegiate level? I think so....
She is not even the #1 in her Turkey's Cukurova team now. How can she be the #1 in USA draft 2018?

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I was just talking about her natural ability. I saw some great plays last year.

Reaction Score
I think Diamond will be #2. I don't care how good her pro season will be, there is just a surplus of guards. There are not that many 6'5" versatile F/C combo players coming out.
  1. A'ja
  2. Diamond
  3. Kelsey
  4. Gabby
I would take Gabby over Kelsey but we will see. After A'ja I think the picks are all down to which team is picking and what their respective needs are.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
She has the talent. To be the best player in the world.

I don't think so at all....she has a mediocre jump shot (from deep and midrange), she's a poor decision maker, and doesn't do anything phenomenally well besides her great athleticism. Volume shooters with low efficiency rarely make for great pros, and that is a difficult habit to fix. She's a great athlete and has a pro frame but the skill just isn't there. Her track record doesn't indicate that she's a team first player and she hasn't improved much at all since her freshman year. I get it, wings with her skill set (great frame, good ball handling, ability to create her own shot, overall athletic ability, etc) do not grow on trees, but she hasn't shown anything that makes me think she can be one of the best players in the league.

Her situation reminds me a bit of Kara Braxton's...I remember in a game Doris Burke stated something to the effect that Braxton had the ability to be a league MVP with her size and coordination, but her drive and attitude were holding her back. Diamond could be a great player but she is definitely a risky top 3-4 pick with her unpolished skill set and track record.

Reaction Score
I don't think so at all....she has a mediocre jump shot (from deep and midrange), she's a poor decision maker, and doesn't do anything phenomenally well besides her great athleticism. Volume shooters with low efficiency rarely make for great pros, and that is a difficult habit to fix. She's a great athlete and has a pro frame but the skill just isn't there. Her track record doesn't indicate that she's a team first player and she hasn't improved much at all since her freshman year. I get it, wings with her skill set (great frame, good ball handling, ability to create her own shot, overall athletic ability, etc) do not grow on trees, but she hasn't shown anything that makes me think she can be one of the best players in the league.

Her situation reminds me a bit of Kara Braxton's...I remember in a game Doris Burke stated something to the effect that Braxton had the ability to be a league MVP with her size and coordination, but her drive and attitude were holding her back. Diamond could be a great player but she is definitely a risky top 3-4 pick with her unpolished skill set and track record.
I totally disagree. IMO Diamond will be great as pro because she can do what most players can’t do. Which is the ability to shoot and make contested jump shots. That’s what separates the best perimeter players professionally. And what perimeter player has ever done anything in Holly’s offense? I don’t think it’s a coincidence that when Diamond actually played in a decent offensive system at UNC she was successful.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yes she has talent. And yes she glides around the court gracefully. But she her entire reputation has been based on awards won in high school and her "potential". Her college career has been notably short of achievement. Her shooting stats were average and for a perimeter player her 3 pt shooting was poor. (2015- 28%, 2016- 25%, 2017-33%) And for all the attention Warlick puts on teaching defense DeShields never impressed me as much of a defensive player.

I'll reserve judgement on her until the season is over in Turkey. She has certainly started out well but she has also had some great games in the past that were interspersed with mediocre efforts. Consistent effort has never been one of her strong characteristics. Lets see how she does in game no. 20. And after she experiences the physicality of the pro game.

Despite all of the above she could very well be a top 5 or even a top 3 pick next spring. She has been one of the most publicized players in wbb. And she is flashy. Flash puts people in seats. And lest we forget the WNBA is a business first.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yes she has talent. And yes she glides around the court gracefully. But she her entire reputation has been based on awards won in high school and her "potential". Her college career has been notably short of achievement. Her shooting stats were average and for a perimeter player her 3 pt shooting was poor. And for all the attention Warlick puts on teaching defense DeShields never impressed me as much of a defensive player.

I'll reserve judgement on her until the season is over in Turkey. She has certainly started out well but she has also had some great games in the past that were interspersed with mediocre efforts. Consistent effort has never been one of her strong characteristics. Lets see how she does in game no. 20.

Despite all of the above she could very well be a top 5 or even a top 3 pick next spring. She has been one of the most publicized players in wbb. And she is flashy. Flash puts people in seats. And lest we forget the WNBA is a business first.
Uh.. did you not see what she did as a freshman? And speaking of her playing in Turkey, there is plenty of video of her games. You might want to go and watch them and tell me where she’s lacking.

Reaction Score
Uh.. did you not see what she did as a freshman? And speaking of her playing in Turkey, there is plenty of video of her games. You might want to go and watch them and tell me where she’s lacking.

First I already said I would reserve judgement of her play in Turkey until she finishes a season. She certainly started out well.

She scored a lot of points at UNC but took a lot of shots doing it. She was a 28% 3 point shooter. Hardly a recommendation of her ability out on the perimeter. I thought Gray had a better year and was a better all-around player that year and her 1st year as a pro supports my opinion.

I've watched DD for the last 4 years. She made a lot of great plays but also often forgot about the game to argue with refs, was lazy on defense and took too many bad shots when there was lots of time on the clock. She loved the spotlight. She always seemed to play very well in the NCAA's but that only raises the question of why. She also had a habit of sulking on the bench instead of encouraging her teammates when her own play wasn't good. The image she projected to me was of a prima donna, more concerned about herself than her team.

The proverbial "girl with a curl".

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I totally disagree. IMO Diamond will be great as pro because she can do what most players can’t do. Which is the ability to shoot and make contested jump shots. That’s what separates the best perimeter players professionally. And what perimeter player has ever done anything in Holly’s offense? I don’t think it’s a coincidence that when Diamond actually played in a decent offensive system at UNC she was successful.

Diamond was good as a freshman but hasn't really improved since then. She was a high volume shooter with a below average jump shot and had a dreadful A/TO ratio. The A/TO ratio and shooting percentages went up a little bit, but she just steadily fell short of expectations and everything with her was based on hype rather than results.

Yes she can make contested jumpers but her shot selection is bad and she doesn't consistently hit her jump shots, open or guarded. I think she can be a very good pro with the right teammates and coaching. I just don't think she'll ever be an MVP caliber player. She has a lot of similarities to McCoughtry coming out of college when you look at physical ability and the ability to create her own shot, but Angel was immensely successful in college on both ends of the ball while Diamond just wasn't besides a promising freshman season.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I think Diamond is #1. More versatile than A'ja, plus she's already some pro league experience now... She's always been a special talent... Wonder what her college career would've been like if Geno had her up in Storrs? Maybe a little more humble pie would've truly brought out her greatness at the collegiate level? I think so....

Diamond is quite talented and versatile, but A'ja is a more stable person, so I think that will give her the edge in the draft if she continues to improve.

Reaction Score
Not if she acts like she did at Tennessee for Holly! Her teammates will not put up with her crap and she will be called out in the W!

Reaction Score
If Azura leaves after this year, imo she will be No.1! She can rebound, block shots and has the talent to play the 2, 3, 4 and 5! Griner went before EDD because she had abilities no other center ever had! Aja Wilson doesnt1

Reaction Score
Not if she acts like she did at Tennessee for Holly! Her teammates will not put up with her crap and she will be called out in the W!
Act like what? I haven’t heard anyone from Tennessee come out and give any specific examples or directly call Diamond out.

Reaction Score

There's a premium on bigs in the WNBA

Reaction Score
The WNBA teams with the potential #1 picks are between the Former SA Stars or the Indiana Fever. Both teams need a big mobile scoring Forward/Center with defensive capabilities and Diamond doesn't fit the bill.
Chicago could also have the number 1 pick. A'ja would fill the void tha EDD left.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Chicago could also have the number 1 pick. A'ja would fill the void tha EDD left.

Agreeing with you and SCSpur (citing the team formerly known as the SA Spurs and Indiana Fever.)

- Stars: Bill Laimbeer likes to start building inside, then augment with outside players. Izzy Harrison had a decent year after coming over to the Stars. A'ja Wilson could slot inside with her to open things up for K-Mac, Moriah and the Plum.

- Indiana can use help up front, for sure.

- While I don't see Wilson being an EDD clone, she can certainly help a team up front.

On one hand, it would be easy to say it would be good to have Diamond go somewhere where she could be mentored, but that isn't usually the case with teams that are picking early. On the other hand, I don't know enough about her mind (and heart) set to know what kind of situation works for her. Her track record raises flags of all different colors. Let's see how this overseas experience goes....

Reaction Score
You haven't been to VolNation?
Yes, I’ve been to VolNation numerous times. And it’s just more of the same, no direct statements from coaches or players. Just gossip and innuendo about Diamond.

Reaction Score
Yes, I’ve been to VolNation numerous times. And it’s just more of the same, no direct statements from coaches or players. Just gossip and innuendo about Diamond.

If you're waiting for coaches and/or players to come out with statements regarding Diamond, you may wait a long time. However, that being said, if you have been to VolNation, you may have come across this little gem regarding Holly deleting her Twitter account over a tweet she put out, and deleting it, regarding Diamond leaving Tenn. Holly does "clarify" what she really suggested with that one smiling emoji, to me it suggests Holly is now a happy camper...the power of one small smiling emoji! :)

Fifty-two minutes later, Warlick sent a tweet. A tweet with one emoji.

:)
— Holly Warlick (@HollyWarlick) June 23, 2017

The tweet was about as short and sweet as Warlick's statement in the release sent by the school:

Holly Warlick deletes account over tweet after Diamond DeShields' departure from Lady Vols

Reaction Score
If you're waiting for coaches and/or players to come out with statements regarding Diamond, you may wait a long time. However, that being said, if you have been to VolNation, you may have come across this little gem regarding Holly deleting her Twitter account over a tweet she put out, and deleting it, regarding Diamond leaving Tenn. Holly does "clarify" what she really suggested with that one smiling emoji, to me it suggests Holly is now a happy camper...the power of one small smiling emoji! :)

Fifty-two minutes later, Warlick sent a tweet. A tweet with one emoji.

:)
— Holly Warlick (@HollyWarlick) June 23, 2017

The tweet was about as short and sweet as Warlick's statement in the release sent by the school:

Holly Warlick deletes account over tweet after Diamond DeShields' departure from Lady Vols
Again, give me direct statements from players or coaches. That’s the problem, a lot of you have talked about Diamond as if she’s Lucifer but don’t have any evidence to back it up other than gossip or hear say. Just remember there’s always two sides to every story.

Reaction Score
Again, give me direct statements from players or coaches. That’s the problem, a lot of you have talked about Diamond as if she’s Lucifer but don’t have any evidence to back it up other than gossip or hear say. Just remember there’s always two sides to every story.
An d Your posts are what? Just your opinion that many posters are asking for some sort of validation for. All you give them is her athletic potential. Fans generally do not run down their own players. If they do there has to be some substance behind it.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Sorry. Great players consistently make contested jumpers. In her entire career DD hasn't consistently made any shot from the perimeter, nonetheless contested ones. A bad shooter is a bad shooter, and that usually doesn't change once the competitive level increases. I've said it before and I'll say it again. She's the J.R. Smith of WBB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom