Diamond Deshields to UNC | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Diamond Deshields to UNC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That is just wrong. I haven't seen anyone post that they are upset because it makes UNC a national contender. That is just your interpretation and insulting.

With 18 kids that are on the roster now, committed for 2012 and verbaled for 2013, I don't see how some kids won't feel disrespected, no matter how Hatchell handles it.

And if someone would please quote me, so easttexas can see it, I would appreciate it. He probably still has me on ignore.

OK Doggy!

Reaction Score
I don't think most folks problems are the number of quality players in the group, I think the problem is the 18+ some odd players they will have with these kids and how the UNC may end up treating the kids already on the team and with commitments.

That's exactly it. The majority of us here aren't posting "sour grapes" as much as we are posting concern for the UNC players who will be cut from the team.

If we were in this situation - who would you propose Geno take scholarships away from? No matter what he did - he'd be seen as the bad guy.

And the mods would shut us all down for the speculation we would be posting 24/7.:D

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
That's exactly it. The majority of us here aren't posting "sour grapes" as much as we are posting concern for the UNC players who will be cut from the team.

If we were in this situation - who would you propose Geno take scholarships away from? No matter what he did - he'd be seen as the bad guy.

And the mods would shut us all down for the speculation we would be posting 24/7.:D

How is it that you know that scholarships will be rescinded from players? How do you know that there were not already players who have decided not to continue their basketball careers or have decided to transfer?

This "we are concerned for these players" line is a load of crap, IMO.

Reaction Score
How is it that you know that scholarships will be rescinded from players? How do you know that there were not already players who have decided not to continue their basketball careers or have decided to transfer?

Anyone who wouldn't be concerned for these players is cold-hearted.

IMO.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score

Because the numbers indicated at the moment indicate a need to drop two or more players to reduce them team to NCAA scholarship limits. The rules are clear on these limits. If there are 16, 17, 18, up to 20 it is necessary to make reductions and that will require removing scholarships from some players on the team.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score

I assure it is strictly concern for fair treatment for the players that is my concern. We went through this crap at PSU previously under RP. Your comments in this thread are simply insulting.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Because the numbers indicated at the moment indicate a need to drop two or more players to reduce them team to NCAA scholarship limits. The rules are clear on these limits. If there are 16, 17, 18, up to 20 it is necessary to make reductions and that will require removing scholarships from some players on the team.

So tell me how you know that there were not already situations in process that have already accounted for this? Don't you think Hatchell deserves the benefit of the doubt until proof warrants otherwise?

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score

More from you in the WOW category.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Anyone who wouldn't be concerned for these players is cold-hearted.

IMO.

I will be concerned for them when evidence is revealed that warrants my concern. I don't seek out things to worry about that don't warrant my concern.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I assure it is strictly concern for fair treatment for the players that is my concern. We went through this crap at PSU previously under RP. Your comments in this thread are simply insulting.

The speculation about Hatchell is insulting. Give her the benefit of the doubt. Don't judge her on action untaken.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
So tell me how you know that there were not already situations in process that have already accounted for this? Don't you think Hatchell deserves the benefit of the doubt until proof warrants otherwise?
I said it has to play out but as presently reported something stinks. That is giving everyone the benefit of the doubt until it plays out. It stills notes, however, that the present situation has a lot to be explained. I have made no assertions about Hatchell, simply what I do not want the situation to become what occurred at PSU. That is true. You seem to assume you know everyone's motives except Hatchell's.

Reaction Score
I will be concerned for them when evidence is revealed that warrants my concern. I don't seek out things to worry about that don't warrant my concern.

Then why are you concerned about the reactions of the UConn fans? I think you'd be happier seeking like-minded people on the Baylor fan forum.

And that's not meant to be mean-spirited, I'm being honest with you.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
ETT, why are you so offended by people speculating on here about this? It's obviously out of the ordinary, there hasn't really been that much speculation that Hatchell did something terrible, just that it's very odd and seems like something is amiss when more players have accepted than there is room for.

And it's the offseason, this is the first big news out of this class...people are obviously going to speculate. Especially when it's a big-time recruit that UConn was after.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
The clear countings of 18 players committed to is evidence of an issue warranting concern.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I was hoping Diamond DeShields would come to UConn, but her decision appears to be for the best. As noted elsewhere, her comments after the commitment sound like someone who was not ready to be coached by the likes of Geno Auriemma. That's my interpretation of her comment that at UNC she can be herself "on and off the court."

And there's one personal aspect of relief. In 1993, my favorite baseball team, the Dodgers, now run in part by the great Magic Johnson, traded one of the best pitchers ever, Pedro Martinez, to the Montreal Expos for a second baseman named Delino DeShields, later to be Diamond's father. Delino was a gigantic bust with the Dodgers and not exactly one of my favorites since he cost the Dodgers the benefits of having Pedro Martinez on their side. So, for me, in the long run, maybe it's better that I don't have to root for his daughter. ;)
wow... so Im gonna assume that you really really didnt want her to come to UConn huh?

and blame Dodgers "management" for the trade.

incredible, frickin incredible

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
ETT, why are you so offended by people speculating on here about this? It's obviously out of the ordinary, there hasn't really been that much speculation that Hatchell did something terrible, just that it's very odd and seems like something is amiss when more players have accepted than there is room for.

And it's the offseason, this is the first big news out of this class...people are obviously going to speculate. Especially when it's a big-time recruit that UConn was after.

The speculation is that Hatchell is going to give current players the shaft. I'm just saying that she deserves the benefit of the doubt. From all I've seen she seems to be a quality person and simply deserves an opportunity to make this work.

I congratulate UNC on an incredible haul. It seems that about 99% of the posts so far have a very negative tone.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The speculation about Hatchell is insulting. Give her the benefit of the doubt. Don't judge her on action untaken.
Are you done telling us how to feel and what to post about? Just checking.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
ETT's primary purpose is to tell us UConn fans how great Baylor is, especially Kim. Also we should understand that Kim was only being a great parent when she violated NCAA Recruiting rules. Also his secondary purpose is to tell us what we should believe when it comes to other programs. Its funny I don't see the same level of understand and respect of Geno and UConn on the Baylor board. Never mind what many on the Baylor board feel about Texas A&M.

IMHO what UNC is doing is wrong and they're able to hide behind the NCAA rules that don't allow them to comment until LOI's are signed. They will get down to 15 players by 2013 because the NCAA will require them to. Player(s) will be encouraged to leave or verbals previously accepted will be rescinded whether the players want them to be or not. They are not showing loyalty to the players that have wanted to go to UNC. Schools should never have players and verbals that exceed the number of allowed scholarships.

Are you done telling us how to feel and what to post about? Just checking.

Reaction Score
Late to the party, but in the spirit of the OP, I say good for DD. No hard feelings from me, I've given up two things:
A) Getting excited that the next "greatest player ever" will be coming to UConn, and
B) Being surprised, hurt, angry or disappointed when the next "greatest player ever" decides she won't be coming to UConn. Over the years, with really very few exceptions, Geno and his crew recruit kids who want to come to UConn, and they stay for the duration.

Congrats to DD and UNC. Maybe we'll play them again in the future.

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
wow... so Im gonna assume that you really really didnt want her to come to UConn huh?

and blame Dodgers "management" for the trade.

incredible, frickin incredible

In fact I've been checking almost daily for a long time to see if Diamond was coming to UConn. My post was intended to be tongue-in-cheek, but I guess that kind of dry humor just doesn't get through sometimes. :(

As for your comment about the Dodger "management," who else would I blame for the trade? Did my reference to Magic throw you and make you think I was blaming him? That would be pretty absurd, wouldn't it? In fact, the Dodger GM in 1993 was Fred Claire, someone I actually like. It was just a very bad trade.

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score

I haven't read every single message on this particular board, but Sara gets my award for the most thoughtful message of the day.

Reaction Score
The speculation is that Hatchell is going to give current players the shaft. I'm just saying that she deserves the benefit of the doubt. From all I've seen she seems to be a quality person and simply deserves an opportunity to make this work.

I congratulate UNC on an incredible haul. It seems that about 99% of the posts so far have a very negative tone.

I would have no problem with the situation if UNC had the required number of scholarships available. The fact that they may be three or four scholarships over the limit really bothers me. Which current or commited players are going to be told to take a hike and go play somewhere else? This is just wrong!

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
By the way, has anyone noted that this will be the second recruiting class in a row in which a major UConn recruit chose UNC? Xylina McDaniel, as you may recall, will be starting there in the fall.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
What is happening on Old Rocky Top with this news? Just wondering....don't want to start nuttin..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom