Diamond Deshields to UNC | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Diamond Deshields to UNC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Like most here, they're upset at the number of recruits vs scholarship issue, more so then losing the recruits. Obviously they're also lamenting the loss of recruits they thought might verbal to the Lady Vols. It's not there yet, but a sense of panic is beginning to emerge. Some believe Mercedes Russell is the key to their recruiting class.

What is happening on Old Rocky Top with this news? Just wondering....don't want to start nuttin..

Reaction Score
By the way, has anyone noted that this will be the second recruiting class in a row in which a major UConn recruit chose UNC? Xylina McDaniel, as you may recall, will be starting there in the fall.
Correction, RoyDodger. Xylina was dithering and Geno made her mind up for her. Easily understood, coming on the heels of the Samarie Walker debacle.

Reaction Score
How is it that you know that scholarships will be rescinded from players? How do you know that there were not already players who have decided not to continue their basketball careers or have decided to transfer?

This "we are concerned for these players" line is a load of crap, IMO.

How is it that you know that there are already players who decided not to continue their basketball careers at UNC or have decided to transfer PRIOR to the "scholarship cap" being exceeded?

See, that's the point here. No one knows. But the situation has the potential to be unpleasant for some players or recruits.

Believe it or not, some of us truly do care about how other people are treated.

You may not give a crap about how these young women will feel when forced to make a decision they may not have otherwise been inclined to make until now. Or for the coaches that may have to have some very difficult discussions. Please don't assume that everyone else is of the same mind.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
ETT's primary purpose is to tell us UConn fans how great Baylor is, especially Kim. Also we should understand that Kim was only being a great parent when she violated NCAA Recruiting rules. Also his secondary purpose is to tell us what we should believe when it comes to other programs. Its funny I don't see the same level of understand and respect of Geno and UConn on the Baylor board. Never mind what many on the Baylor board feel about Texas A&M.

IMHO what UNC is doing is wrong and they're able to hide behind the NCAA rules that don't allow them to comment until LOI's are signed. They will get down to 15 players by 2013 because the NCAA will require them to. Player(s) will be encouraged to leave or verbals previously accepted will be rescinded whether the players want them to be or not. They are not showing loyalty to the players that have wanted to go to UNC. Schools should never have players and verbals that exceed the number of allowed scholarships.

I'm on the Baylor board a lot and I do not see any anti-Geno/UCONN talk. If anything we all aspire to have a program like UCONN. And I personally have a great amount of respect for Blair and I am embarrassed when those on the Baylor board show such despise for TAMU.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I'm just promoting giving Hatchell the benefit of the doubt until facts come out concerning the scholarships. I hope that UNC honors whatever agreements they have with each recruit. I'm just not ready to condemn Hatchell and UNC until I see how it plays out.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
and did TASSK all verbal on the same day?

I don't know really DaddyChoc. The comment I was making was about an instance in UConn's history about a number of young potential recruits talking about all going to the same school to play which was the eventual outcome as we all know (and some seem to have forgotton or of which are not aware). That's all. Any further digging into the meaning of the post by anyone, is done at the digger's pleasure and with the intent of taking responsibility of their analysis. Nothing more was meant by me.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
ETT's primary purpose is to tell us UConn fans how great Baylor is, especially Kim. Also we should understand that Kim was only being a great parent when she violated NCAA Recruiting rules. Also his secondary purpose is to tell us what we should believe when it comes to other programs. Its funny I don't see the same level of understand and respect of Geno and UConn on the Baylor board. Never mind what many on the Baylor board feel about Texas A&M.

IMHO what UNC is doing is wrong and they're able to hide behind the NCAA rules that don't allow them to comment until LOI's are signed. They will get down to 15 players by 2013 because the NCAA will require them to. Player(s) will be encouraged to leave or verbals previously accepted will be rescinded whether the players want them to be or not. They are not showing loyalty to the players that have wanted to go to UNC. Schools should never have players and verbals that exceed the number of allowed scholarships.

What bothers me is the question of did UNC actually "do" this? Or did they go out and recruit a bunch of top kids without really knowing who they would actually sign on. I think the latter.

Someone said before in this thread that schools often offer to more kids than schollys available for the simple reason that you don't always get what you wish for....

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I don't think most folks problems are the number of quality players in the group, I think the problem is the 18+ some odd players they will have with these kids and how the UNC may end up treating the kids already on the team and with commitments.

the question I answered was
Would it be illegal for a group of players who know and like each other to talk and decide that they wanted to play together, and then to sign like this to a single team, one that was happy to get them all? Would it be illegal?

I didn't take it any further than this. And I meant by the post was that no, it isn't "illegal", and it had been done before by some of our own.

Reaction Score
What bothers me is the question of did UNC actually "do" this? Or did they go out and recruit a bunch of top kids without really knowing who they would actually sign on. I think the latter.

Someone said before in this thread that schools often offer to more kids than schollys available for the simple reason that you don't always get what you wish for....
I agree with this all the way. If coaches only offer to kids that are their top targets, but those targets go elsewhere, then they have nothing. I don't think UNC did anything that doesn't happen all the time elsewhere. Just in this case, the unexpected happened - they got what they needed and then some. I do think the normal progression of one recruit verballing at a time, with time between each verbal, has a way of doing some "natural selection". Once a need is met, then other targets may not be pursued any longer or as aggressively. In this case, with so many verballing at once, there was no chance for the natural selection to occur during the process. It must now be done after the fact. This is what I find sad about the situation.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
It's common for schools to be recruiting more players then scholarships available. What is extremely unusual especially in women's basketball is to accept verbals that would exceed available scholarships.

Reaction Score
Correction, RoyDodger. Xylina was dithering and Geno made her mind up for her. Easily understood, coming on the heels of the Samarie Walker debacle.

WONK - .....which is the exact them I was sounding on the'"Gotta Want It" thread.....with specific reference to Deshields. Am not saying Geno made up her mind for her at all; just that I was not getting a good vibe about her "stuff" for quite some time and was wondering whether it was perhaps time to bring it all to a head(ala your take on Xylina).....and wondering if others felt the same. Most did not.
You know, just wondering another thing right this minute....whether the two dads had any role in this? My hunch was that they would lean toward Geno, frankly.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I'm just promoting giving Hatchell the benefit of the doubt until facts come out concerning the scholarships. I hope that UNC honors whatever agreements they have with each recruit. I'm just not ready to condemn Hatchell and UNC until I see how it plays out.
No one here has condemned Hatchell. You keep promoting a falsehood.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score

Well.... I'll be first in line to condemn anything related to the "sissy" blue :D Coaches... uniforms... fight songs..... whatever

Reaction Score

Of course they have.
Perhaps correctly so; but there's no doubt it's condemnation.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Well.... I'll be first in line to condemn anything related to the "sissy" blue :D Coaches... uniforms... fight songs..... whatever
Respectfully, tri, I would not consider you the "norm" here since you are not a UCONN fan although you are a regular here. I was thinking primarily of long time UCONN fans as the core group.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Of course they have.
Perhaps correctly so; but there's no doubt it's condemnation.
Please identify those you see attacking Hatchell rather than simply noting the problems present in the situation.

Reaction Score
Please identify those you see attacking Hatchell rather than simply noting the problems present in the situation.

Any comment about players being shafted/forced out is an implicit attack on Hatchell.
It may very well be fair criticism.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Tanisha Brown 2013 has reopened her recruitment. She was a previous commit to North Carolina.

Tanisha Brown - Link

I bet Dawn Staley will gladly talk to her if she wants to stay in SC. Something tells me she is not going to be left out in the cold wishing that some university will get her a scholarship.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Any comment about players being shafted/forced out is an implicit attack on Hatchell.
It may very well be fair criticism.
Sorry, I completely disagree. It is condemnation of a situation as it exists. Hatchell may or may not have caused it. She will be responsible for figuring out how to sort it out and maintain the integrity of her program.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I don't know really DaddyChoc. The comment I was making was about an instance in UConn's history about a number of young potential recruits talking about all going to the same school to play which was the eventual outcome as we all know (and some seem to have forgotton or of which are not aware). That's all. Any further digging into the meaning of the post by anyone, is done at the digger's pleasure and with the intent of taking responsibility of their analysis. Nothing more was meant by me.
nah just saying how its even crazier the UNC-BUNCH did it on the SAME day

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
In fact I've been checking almost daily for a long time to see if Diamond was coming to UConn. My post was intended to be tongue-in-cheek, but I guess that kind of dry humor just doesn't get through sometimes. :(

As for your comment about the Dodger "management," who else would I blame for the trade? Did my reference to Magic throw you and make you think I was blaming him? That would be pretty absurd, wouldn't it? In fact, the Dodger GM in 1993 was Fred Claire, someone I actually like. It was just a very bad trade.
what da... Magic Johnson? what are u talking about, nevermind :confused:

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
It's common for schools to be recruiting more players then scholarships available. What is extremely unusual especially in women's basketball is to accept verbals that would exceed available scholarships.

We know that the recruits called in their verbals. We have heard nothing from UNC about any acceptance of these verbals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom