Diamond Deshields to UNC | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Diamond Deshields to UNC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I guess we will all find out when the players actually play in college. But based on what the people that actually look at these players for a living and the people at USA basketball, Tuck is a better player than Graves. More well rounded offensive game. Mavunga is as good as Tuck? On what planet?

Jefferson was given a 98 rating by hoopgurlz. NINETY EIGTH. I don't know what you are basing your opinoin on her being just as good as any of the other guards out there. You obviously haven't seen Jefferson enough. She is a game changer.

And lastly, your example of Lewis vs Williams to prove that HS rankings don't mean anything on a collegiate level is pretty dumb. They were 1 and 2 in HS and 1 and 2 in College for their class. Now, if you used Novasel as an example, you would have had a good point. She was ranked outside the top 30 and ended up a top player.

And defensive? No...I'm just amazed how little you know about UConn's recruits.

Jefferson was giving a 98! And! Numbers and rankings mean absolutely nothing. You said it, we will see when the players play in college. Until then, you throwing out grades, and ranks are dumb, considering they are based on what they did in high school. SMH! Don't let your bias fool you, Jefferson is no game changer. A good pg, but no game changer. Even you can't possibly think that Jefferson can carry a team. I'd argue Tuck before Jefferson.

My comparison about Lewis, and Williams rankings proved my point, rankings mean nothing. It's what they do in college. Last time I checked, one was higher than two, but on the collegiate level, number two prevailed, and was honored for it.

I don't know little about Uconn recruits, I've seen recruits all around the country. Jefferson is good, so is Tuck, but neither is a game changer. You have one in Briana Stewart, but IMO, that's it. Quit letting your bias stand in the way of accepting the truth about these players. You wanting them to be something is different from what they probably will be.

Reaction Score
Geno also offered scholarships to Heather Buck, Michala Johnson, and Lauren Engeln. absolutely nothing wrong with them and Buck was top 20 per Blue Star IIRC.

and BTW, Geno also rescinded the scholly offer to Xylena. she couldn't make up her mind so he made it up for her. and i don't recall a single post that said anything about Xylena being a game changer. and i mean this as no disrespect to her, but she's nowhere near the caliber of player that Tuck, Jefferson or Stewart are.

and seriously? what are you talking about KML? she and Williams had great freshmen years. both had ups and downs. are you seriously telling me McDaniel is as good as KML? and "one elite recruit with a nice supporting cast"? that's actually funny. i'm not trying to be rude, but your post is insane. give us a shout when you're not on the sauce...

Rescinded the offer after she couldn't make up her mind. Well that's even worse. So you are saying Geno didn't want McDaniel to take her time and make sure she was making the right choice. SMH! Talk about pressuring! I didn't say McDaniel was a game changer. I didn't say that it was said here about her either. It was said about Diamond Deshields, which was whom I was referring. Since Diamond chose NC, now the tunes have changed. Another tune is being sung here by some.

It's your opinion that McDaniel isn't on the level of the players you have mentioned, but that doesn't make it so. Let these players take the court,their college careers get started, then talk about whose better after games have been played. Once again, let's not rely on a ranking system, all of them have these players ranked differently, and scattered across the board.

Not sure what Buck, Englen, or Johnson has to do with what was said. Now those are some that I turly can't evaluate because they were always riding the bench when I saw the Uconn games.

Yes, I said Uconn has one elite recruit,just like NC, in Diamond, Uconn has Briana. After that, the rest are just good solid players that will contribute, but IMO, they won't carry a team. Sorry, I just dont see it!

By the way, you can be as rude as you would like to be. Doesn't bother me one bit. You may need some of that sauce that I am supposed to be on, it may help you see realistically, and not as a homer!:eek:

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Yes, I said Uconn has one elite recruit,just like NC, in Diamond, Uconn has Briana. After that, the rest are just good solid players that will contribute, but IMO, they won't carry a team. Sorry, I just dont see it!

UConn didnt have BStew last season and made it to the FINAL FOUR... with solid players.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
DD was not the right choice for UCONN and I am not surprised by her choice. She waants to be the star of the team and at UCONN she would be one of 15. I wish her well at UNC.....Plus, she did not have to see UCONN for a few years.

Yes, because UCONN has been void of stars throughout the years.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
WOW...what a haul UNC has for 2013: 2, 8, 15, 18, 27, 54. Someone explained the percentages of landing multiple top players to me in a different thread. What are the chances that UNC now lands Russell? Sounds like Mavunga will be UNC's best recruiter in the coming months.

I demand an NCAA investigation. Surely this many top players couldn't have chosen the same school without some funny business going on. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Sonny - Doubledees is actually Genevadiva from the Summitt. A real hater so don't waste your time being reasonable.

G - your overuse of exclamation points gave you away;)
Thanks for the tip.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Jefferson was giving a 98! And! Numbers and rankings mean absolutely nothing. You said it, we will see when the players play in college. Until then, you throwing out grades, and ranks are dumb, considering they are based on what they did in high school. SMH! Don't let your bias fool you, Jefferson is no game changer. A good pg, but no game changer. Even you can't possibly think that Jefferson can carry a team. I'd argue Tuck before Jefferson.

My comparison about Lewis, and Williams rankings proved my point, rankings mean nothing. It's what they do in college. Last time I checked, one was higher than two, but on the collegiate level, number two prevailed, and was honored for it.

I don't know little about Uconn recruits, I've seen recruits all around the country. Jefferson is good, so is Tuck, but neither is a game changer. You have one in Briana Stewart, but IMO, that's it. Quit letting your bias stand in the way of accepting the truth about these players. You wanting them to be something is different from what they probably will be.

Looks to me that you have the bias, ignoring the ratings for Jefferson. Hoopgurlz doesn't give out that rating lightly. You've seen recruits all around the country? In what capacity? And you know more than the experts at ASGR, Bluestar as well? You won't be insulted if I don't think you know more than them, will you?

Lewis had every bit as good a season as Williams. Someone had to win the FOY, but the fact that it wasn't Lewis and was Williams doesn't prove your point about rankings not meaning anything. In fact, using that makes your argument silly.

And you keep acting like you know me and that I can't be objective about these players. Not sure who you think you are to do that, but you are far from the truth.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Rescinded the offer after she couldn't make up her mind. Well that's even worse. So you are saying Geno didn't want McDaniel to take her time and make sure she was making the right choice. SMH! Talk about pressuring! I didn't say McDaniel was a game changer. I didn't say that it was said here about her either. It was said about Diamond Deshields, which was whom I was referring. Since Diamond chose NC, now the tunes have changed. Another tune is being sung here by some.

It's your opinion that McDaniel isn't on the level of the players you have mentioned, but that doesn't make it so. Let these players take the court,their college careers get started, then talk about whose better after games have been played. Once again, let's not rely on a ranking system, all of them have these players ranked differently, and scattered across the board.

Not sure what Buck, Englen, or Johnson has to do with what was said. Now those are some that I turly can't evaluate because they were always riding the bench when I saw the Uconn games.

By the way, you can be as rude as you would like to be. Doesn't bother me one bit. You may need some of that sauce that I am supposed to be on, it may help you see realistically, and not as a homer!:eek:

You keep telling posters that "just because they say it doesn't make it true".

Funny, since that is what can be said about you. But at least to Jefferson and Tuck, our opinions can be backed up by the experts that actually do rankings for a living.

Unless you care to share your recruiting pedigree, I would suggest you stop lecturing UConn fans here.

What team do you root for? Or root against? It might explain your rudeness in coming to this board.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
If the numbers 16,17, 18 and up to 20 are the current roster and the add of the commitments as posted then what may be being overlooked is that if true this has the ability to completely blow up (in a negative use of language) the UNC program for the future. Players will no longer trust commitments from the coaching staff and will not be able to trust them at their word. Plus until LOI are signed these "commitments" are worth exactly the paper they are printed upon. All of the "commitments" could turn around tomorrrow and announce for TN, or Georgia, of UCLA. If they really want to see someone do something with them they should all go to Villanova and give Harry a heart attack over the excess of talent to fall in his lap.

Who knows maybe the kids themselves figured out that UNC was over promising spots and this was their way out blowing it up. Something does smell in the situation but it is far from clear what its source is.

I am not sure of the impact of having a scholarship lifted on the ability to transfer and play immediately but if it does mean a kid can play immediately vs waiting out a year as a scholarship player I make UNC painfully have to lift every overbooked scholarship so that I am free to pursue immediate opportunities at other schools.

Reaction Score
No one knows what the exact situation is with various players and what they were promised, and what the true scholarship situation is. Unfortuately, no news in the Triangle newspapers today, but hopefully details will come.

Reputation only matters over the long haul. Hatchell is 60. This may be her last full class.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I wonder how long this plan has been in the works for DD et al. Seems this was part of the strategy of waiting so long to verbal...UNC seems to be the only school that was recruiting all of these players. No, they don't have room for them, but a team that didn't even make the tournament will gladly find room for the excess of talent headed their way.

Some of the things DD has said are now starting to make sense...she wants to set records, be a legend, etc. Much easier at a school like UNC where just getting back to the tourney is the goal right now. She will be able to set all kind of scoring records with an offense like Hatchell's. I don't know about actually winning NCs...seems to me that requires a lot more discipline than UNC has, but who knows?

I wonder how this will affect the class of 2014, 2015, etc. Will kids try to go in packs to other schools? With the way that kids connect these days via social media and how they seems to all play on the same few AAU teams (not to mention AAU basketball) I could see this being a trend in the future.

Reaction Score
WOW...what a haul UNC has for 2013: 2, 8, 15, 18, 27, 54. Someone explained the percentages of landing multiple top players to me in a different thread. What are the chances that UNC now lands Russell? Sounds like Mavunga will be UNC's best recruiter in the coming months.... :rolleyes:

This "explanation" you received about the likelihood of landing multiple top players is mathematically invalid. The decisions these players made were made in collusion, not as independent random events, so mutiplying the individual odds is a misapplication of the mathematics of probability. If you doubt my claim, ask any mathematician.*

* this generally excludes math teachers below the college level, who often, shamefully, don't know squat about probability.

Reaction Score
I don't follow your logic here. We don't know why Williams got FOY over Lewis, but I don't think it proves your point. I think a case could be made to say Williams was more important to her team than Lewis was to hers. Duke would have been hurting at the 5 without Williams much more than Uconn without Lewis. So, overall, I'd say Williams would be considered more important to her team. However, Uconn went further in the tournament than Duke and they could just as easily given Lewis FOY using that line of thinking.

In general, I think ranking does mean something. One can always point to individual instances that don't hold, and the closer together the numbers are, the greater chance of error. I think an after-the-fact analysis will prove the ratings to be very accurate but not perfect.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
images
Hatchell Recruiting Strategy --
A Year of Strange Weather . . .

A laugh out loud post. Thanks, JS!

Reaction Score
... I wonder how this will affect the class of 2014, 2015, etc. Will kids try to go in packs to other schools? With the way that kids connect these days via social media and how they seems to all play on the same few AAU teams (not to mention AAU basketball). I could see this being a trend in the future.

Boy, if there was anything to make Geno head for early retirement, that would be it.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
UConn didn't re-new its series with UNC due to their lack of actually showing up for the games. They have been replaced by Maryland.

You know this how....?

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Would it be illegal for a group of players who know and like each other to talk and decide that they wanted to play together, and then to sign like this to a single team, one that was happy to get them all? Would it be illegal?

I give you TASSK.

Reaction Score
This "explanation" you received about the likelihood of landing multiple top players is mathematically invalid. The decisions these players made were made in collusion, not as independent random events, so mutiplying the individual odds is a misapplication of the mathematics of probability. If you doubt my claim, ask any mathematician.*

* this generally excludes math teachers below the college level, who often, shamefully, don't know squat about probability.
Odds are (I'm not going to calculate them) that you are referring to my post. I agree with you. This situation can't be compared with throwing a die or flipping coins. However there are methods available that can calculate the odds of landing top players to a degree of accuracy. After all, there are a limited number of possibilities, albeit a large number.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I give you TASSK.
I don't think most folks problems are the number of quality players in the group, I think the problem is the 18+ some odd players they will have with these kids and how the UNC may end up treating the kids already on the team and with commitments.

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
I was hoping Diamond DeShields would come to UConn, but her decision appears to be for the best. As noted elsewhere, her comments after the commitment sound like someone who was not ready to be coached by the likes of Geno Auriemma. That's my interpretation of her comment that at UNC she can be herself "on and off the court."

And there's one personal aspect of relief. In 1993, my favorite baseball team, the Dodgers, now run in part by the great Magic Johnson, traded one of the best pitchers ever, Pedro Martinez, to the Montreal Expos for a second baseman named Delino DeShields, later to be Diamond's father. Delino was a gigantic bust with the Dodgers and not exactly one of my favorites since he cost the Dodgers the benefits of having Pedro Martinez on their side. So, for me, in the long run, maybe it's better that I don't have to root for his daughter. ;)

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I disagree. Nobody knows the UNC situation and I'm sure that Hatchell will ensure that everyone is treated with respect. I've never seen anything in her 20+ years that would imply otherwise. I believe that most are upset because this huge class of top talent puts the balance of power in jeopardy and very suddenly there is a new, serious contender that was just an afterthought two days ago.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I disagree. Nobody knows the UNC situation and I'm sure that Hatchell will ensure that everyone is treated with respect. I've never seen anything in her 20+ years that would imply otherwise. I believe that most are upset because this huge class of top talent puts the balance of power in jeopardy and very suddenly there is a new, serious contender that was just an afterthought two days ago.

That is just wrong. I haven't seen anyone post that they are upset because it makes UNC a national contender. That is just your interpretation and insulting.

With 18 kids that are on the roster now, committed for 2012 and verbaled for 2013, I don't see how some kids won't feel disrespected, no matter how Hatchell handles it.

And if someone would please quote me, so easttexas can see it, I would appreciate it. He probably still has me on ignore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom