Diaco's debut at Nebraska | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Diaco's debut at Nebraska

Reaction Score
The guy looked like a great hire, Notre Dame asst. former LB at a big Ten school, young and out going, talked the talk, got an award for being a top asst. coach recommended by several top coaches. Hayden Fry, Brian Kelly. I agree we got snookered, but HOW were we to know??:(:(:(:(:(

Reaction Score
The guy looked like a great hire, Notre Dame asst. former LB at a big Ten school, young and out going, talked the talk, got an award for being a top asst. coach recommended by several top coaches. Hayden Fry, Brian Kelly. I agree we got snookered, but HOW were we to know??:(:(:(:(:(

Although it is an AD's job to know, and he/she owns all of their personnel decisions, I think the overwhelming consensus was that Diaco was a great hire. Yes, Warde was wrong, but so were almost everybody.

Reaction Score
Although it is an AD's job to know, and he/she owns all of their personnel decisions, I think the overwhelming consensus was that Diaco was a great hire. Yes, Warde was wrong, but so were almost everybody.

I'm not sure that it was that universal, but it was a defensible hire at the time. You have to wonder why he was available and nobody scooped him up immediately after their BCS championship game appearance.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I'm not sure that it was that universal, but it was a defensible hire at the time. You have to wonder why he was available and nobody scooped him up immediately after their BCS championship game appearance.

I think BC interviewed him and passed. He lost out to Addazio. Not a good talent pool to pick from.

Reaction Score
On the surface Diaco's resume at the time he was hired made him a very attractive choice. Of course none of us could know if there were any red flags that may have popped up in his interviews at UConn that were overlooked. The point about why he wasn't hired as a HC elsewhere the year after he won the Broyles Award is a good one. But I don't think it's right to criticize Warde or Susan for making the hire when they did given the information and track record they had on Diaco. Everyone knew he was a bit wacky, but then again lots of coaches are wacky. No one could have reasonably predicted he'd go as far off the deep end as he did last year - he categorically imploded in all facets of his job in unprecedented fashion. Let's not forget Rutgers was interested in hiring him that same offseason so clearly he was doing something right according to some in the football coaching community.

Reaction Score
We need a transcript or tape of the interview for the job by Warde.

Reaction Score
But I don't think it's right to criticize Warde or Susan for making the hire when they did given the information and track record they had on Diaco. Everyone knew he was a bit wacky, but then again lots of coaches are wacky.
Agreed. Listen to any PJ Fleck interview and it could just as easily be Diaco talking. Whacky football guys can be easy to fall in love with. Obviously, the on-field results were much different between the two.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I can totally see him hitting a home run in his interview with Manuel. If nothing else, the guy was born to be a salesman. He could sell popsicles to Eskimos. The problem is you find out after the fact that he's got nothing to sell.

Reaction Score
On the surface Diaco's resume at the time he was hired made him a very attractive choice. Of course none of us could know if there were any red flags that may have popped up in his interviews at UConn that were overlooked. The point about why he wasn't hired as a HC elsewhere the year after he won the Broyles Award is a good one. But I don't think it's right to criticize Warde or Susan for making the hire when they did given the information and track record they had on Diaco. Everyone knew he was a bit wacky, but then again lots of coaches are wacky. No one could have reasonably predicted he'd go as far off the deep end as he did last year - he categorically imploded in all facets of his job in unprecedented fashion. Let's not forget Rutgers was interested in hiring him that same offseason so clearly he was doing something right according to some in the football coaching community.

Hiring is an art, not a science. No one gets it right all the time. You hope you get it right more often than those you compete against.

Hiring the lunatic was a perfectly sound decision when made. The next guy who gives him a shot -- it will be on him.

Reaction Score
Hiring is an art, not a science. No one gets it right all the time. You hope you get it right more often than those you compete against.

Hiring the lunatic was a perfectly sound decision when made. The next guy who gives him a shot -- it will be on him.
Exactly, at this point there has to be some kind of unofficial show-cause policy on hiring Diaco as a HC now at the FBS level. If I'm a president and my AD comes to me with him as the candidate there had better be damn convincing evidence that he's changed in order to run my program.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Exactly, at this point there has to be some kind of unofficial show-cause policy on hiring Diaco as a HC now at the FBS level. If I'm a president and my AD comes to me with him as the candidate there had better be damn convincing evidence that he's changed in order to run my program.

If I were a university president, nothing short of a certified successful exorcism signed off on by a Roman Catholic priest could possibly satisfy me, and even then I'd still have some doubts.

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
I wouldn't even hire Diaco to be the head coach of a low level high school football program in Connecticut. Guy is an absolute clown. But at the same time, I would love to see Diaco attempt to control/organize/motivate high school students and their parents with his ridiculous sayings and BS. Perhaps, he would then finally fulfill his god given talent as a snake oil salesman.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't even hire Diaco to be the head coach of a low level high school football program in Connecticut. Guy is an absolute clown. But at the same time, I would love to see Diaco attempt to control/organize/motivate high school students and their parents with his ridiculous sayings and BS. Perhaps, he would then finally fulfill his god given talent as a snake oil salesman.
there is no way in hell he would succeed at the high school level. he is way too stubborn. he wanted prototypes at UConn.. imagine what his team would look like when you're just coaching the kids who live in town

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Listen to him when he opens his mouth?

The guy has literally never said anything that is even remotely coherent. Y'all can excuse Warde and whoever you like - I'm never going to. You have to a frigging moran to buy into his 'sales'.

Screw Warde Manuel for leaving us with that loser. I hope Michigan and Nebraska never win a game while these two idiots are employed.

The press conference where he sat and lied about Te'o would have eliminated him for me.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We saw the same garbage here. For some reason people just want to believe things in spite of overwhelming evidence. If you ask some people who post here @Jimmy Serrano did more damage to the board than Diaco (I kinda agree).

The entire board hated my guts because I saw through Diaco's happy horse sheet and didn't wear the pompoms. Some of the same guys ripping Diaco now were acting just like Husker fans are now. Some guys are just a little more quick on the take than others.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
The entire board hated my guts because I saw through Diaco's happy horse sheet and didn't wear the pompoms. Some of the same guys ripping Diaco now were acting just like Husker fans are now. Some guys are just a little more quick on the take than others.
Old wise sage, O'What do you see for us now? Can we go bowling this year?

Reaction Score
I bought into the hype. He was young, energetic, and most importantly NOT named Paul Pasqualoni. While some were quick to call it a bad hire, it's not unreasonable for fans to have hope.

After his introductory press conference it was all downhill.

tenor.gif

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
No. 4 wins. 3 is more likely than 5.
I can't argue with that.

Watching this program up close since 2010 has certainly been a learning experience....learning to listen to coaches and hear what they are really saying when they are really saying absolutely nothing. Admittedly I started out behind on this skill set.

Last edited:

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score

Wait, Rutgers was interested in him? That would have disqualified him right there in my book.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I totally disagree on the comparisons between Fleck and Diaco. I was posting about Fleck before Western Michigan blew up. The difference is completely obvious - Fleck is completely sincere - Diaco is a lying loser.

Riley should fire him for lying about this 'miscommunication'. Yeah Bob they pay you $825k at NEBRASKA and your responsibilities don't include talking to the media post-game. Either he is even stupider than we think or he is lying - take your pick.

Reaction Score
I think people (Susan, Warde, the fans) were so happy to be over and done with Pasqualoni that they lost track for a moment and due diligence went out the window. I fault Warde for that, he fell asleep at the wheel of the Uconn conference realignment bus and repeated himself during the Diastro hiring process.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhiskyThief

Top Bottom